1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

No. Depression can't simply be willed away.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Gauri03, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

'Think positive', 'tough it out', 'count your blessings', 'it's all just in your head', 'snap out of it'...

Imagine saying any of these to someone suffering from cancer, or even diabetes. Ridiculous and cruel, you say? Yet, time and time again, the same ludicrous and insensitive advice is handed out to people suffering from depression.

Depression. A word we've all used to describe sadness; a normal human response to negative experiences. “Major Depression”, the mental disorder, is not mere sadness. Approximately 350 million people worldwide suffer from it, and nearly 1 million people lose their lives to it every year. Isn't it a tragedy that a debilitating and life-altering disorder is synonymous with a natural and benign state of the human mind? Major depression is not a sign of weakness, or the result of moral failings, or a melodramatic attempt at seeking attention.

Depression is a disease, and no, you can’t just 'snap out of it'.

"Everybody gets depressed sometime or the other."

Imagine being in a state of paralyzing numbness — an apathy that makes mere existence feel like a chore. Imagine an absence of feeling, of desire, of joy, of hope, where every single waking moment seems like an onerous burden to be endured, so much so that you don't see the point in getting out of bed. Imagine an unbearable heaviness pressing down upon you, until even the simplest tasks begin to seem insurmountable. Depression often manifests physically as incapacitating exhaustion leaving you drained and burnt out. Even in the rare moments of lightness, the sense of foreboding and dread lingers. Waiting. Imagine feeling like this constantly, for weeks, months, even years.

People who don't understand depression can't imagine feeling low without a proximate cause. Sadness always has context. I am sad because____, I lost a loved one, I was diagnosed with a serious illness, or I lost my job. Major depression is sadness without context.

"But you can choose to be happy".

Depression is not a choice. Asking a depressed person to 'think positively' is like standing on the shore and telling a drowning man to 'just get out the water'. Depression robs people of the ability to motivate themselves to do anything, especially to take care of themselves. Intelligent, active people find themselves incapable of mundane tasks like cleaning the dishes or taking a shower. Even as they spiral downwards, they acutely feel their failure to deal with life like a normal person. The self-loathing only worsens the symptoms. Depression makes you think you're unworthy of help. People convince themselves that they're simply making a fuss about nothing. But putting on a facade of happiness when you're down does not make the depression go away.

“It’s just a phase. It will pass.”

Clinical depression doesn't simply appear from nowhere. While we still don't understand the complete pathophysiology of the disease, we conclusively know that there are significant structural differences between the brains of depressed and normal people. The hippocampus, the seat of emotion and memory in our brains, is significantly smaller in volume in depressed individuals. This impairment contributes to memory dysfunction, self-hatred, and suicidal thoughts. fMRIs have shown hippocampal atrophy, and reduction in the number and density of neurons in the cerebral cortex. Depression may not manifest like a physical disease but it lights up the same neural pathways as those activated by physical pain. Willing depression to go away is about as effective as willing yourself sober after drinking too much.

Weak and selfish people kill themselves. I don't support suicide. It is stupid.”

The callous cruelty of this statement aside, to me it betrays a smug ignorance. Especially when people hold themselves up as paragons of strength in the face of adversity, while denying the struggles of others. It is okay to not understand why someone would be driven to take their own life. But to ascribe weakness, or cowardice to suicide is a shallow and simplistic view of a very complex issue.

One of the best analogies I've read explaining suicide is that of the burning room. Imagine yourself in a room that's on fire, and the only exit is a little window looking down upon a 10-story drop to the ground. Hot smoke fills the room, choking you, singeing your eyes, scorching your lungs, as the flames lick your ankles. You look at the window, and imagine how it would feel to be out there, away from the fire. You are scared to jump, you don't want to die. But the scorching heat, the excruciating pain, the breathlessness is unbearable. You keep waiting until every square inch of your body begins to scream in pain. Then you jump. That is suicide. Depression is that burning room. Suicide may not be a wise decision, definitely not a rational one, but to the person suffering, it becomes the only way to end the pain.

Suicide is the final symptom of chronic, uncontrolled and untreated depression. It is the terminal stage of the disease, not unlike stage IV cancer. Survival against all odds is an instinct programmed into our DNA. The rejection of life can only be the result of an impaired thought process, where ending the immediate pain seems more desirable than life itself. How can suicide be a choice, when the very organ humans use to make decisions is rendered unfit and broken by depression?

If everyone could experience clinical depression for just one day in their lives, it would put an immediate end to the ignorance and inconsideration surrounding this topic. Many depressed people live successful lives. They get educated, build careers and raise families. But none of these are made possible by 'thinking positive' and 'sucking it up'. It takes a combination of medication, therapy, exercise and support, through which most cases of depression can be controlled and even treated.

Next time you are tempted to tell someone with clinical depression to get over it, remember this — No one who has experienced it would choose depression over the trials of a normal life. Unless you've lived it, you cannot imagine what it takes to feign normalcy when all your capacity is being exerted on trying to keep hanging on. If there is a force bigger than depression, it is compassion. Even a little of it can give someone the reason to give life a second chance.

sindmani, sokanasanah, jskls and 26 others like this.

2. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

I feel it sometimes. Life is good as it can be, I have a beautiful little girl who is nearly 3yo. My husband is very loving, my soul mate. I have no pressure to go to work. Financially things are good. I feel badly depressed at the times. For weeks I would be ok then all of a sudden I am crying for no reason. I feel no love towards my daughter or husband. My husbands tries to put in all the positive thoughts. After a few days I feel better but it comes back again after weeks. I started feeling depressed for no reason. Sometimes I feel are we living for real. I have not visited any doctor yet. I am not even sure wether it is depression. But I feel very depressed.

1 person likes this.
  3. deepslikes

deepslikes Platinum IL'ite

Great post! And much needed too.

2 people like this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

gauri,

wonderful post and coming from somebody in the field is more informative. Have been toying with the same idea for sometime because i have seen what it can do to people. have been lucky to recognize the symptoms and help a few.

I know of death because of acute depression in my near circle no it was not suicide.
    the moment i think depression i always remember this quote of stephen king "Monsters are real, ghosts are real too, they live inside us and they win" it is so true that depression is a monster that can spread and make the person its slave.

I don't understand why we do not accept and seek help for being depressed. we accept phantom pain is a reality.

there is a stigma to accept and appeal for help be it from others (friends or medical fraternity). and in other times we are so engrossed in the hectic schedules of our own lives we don't pay much attention to people around who maybe crying for a little attention and help from us.

when you are being pushed into a sea tied and bonded a normal person would want to escape but when depressed the same thing feels better than putting up with the struggle of pushing up.

depression is now seen in kids as young as 10/12 only we don't want to accept it. we want to guise it as hormonal changes. little do we realize there are many types of depressions today ranging from simple blues for a few days because of situation to maniac depression that could harm others.

it is said that men suffer with depression more than women because of the communication problems and also because they think it would portray them weak.

being depressed is not weak, not taking help is weakness.

your angst at the society at the way it treats depression is so justified. We need more and more awareness on this to cross over the huge wall of the myth and stigma.

15 people like this.
  5. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Gauri,

Excellent post. Thanks for writing about the topic called 'Depression' and 'Stress'. A much needed one for all of us.

As Joyoflife said sometimes, may be once in a while i feel 'alone' and without any reason i started worrying so much, even though things around me is good and fine.

Even if someone in my family is sick i feel so upset and if i hear any cancer case within my surroundings, any accident if i see in tv/directly i get worried and it will not go off easily. Then i will change my mood/divert my mind to something else. I think many of us have these kinds of Depression normally.

For everything there is an alternative - so this is the attitude which we need to frequently say to ourselves if we are in pain/trouble.

As shanvy mam said, Talk, Talk and Talk about our issues to concerned people/friend is the best solution for recovery. Similarly if we do not want to share our issues with friends we can contact suicidal preventive centres like 'Sneha' here in chennai or a phsyciatrists for consultation.

1 person likes this.
  6. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Good post, and nice R&D. I liked your analysis of suicide.

2 people like this.
  7. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

:Bow:
    More about your classic exposition on depression in my reply to the nomination of this Snippet in FP Forum by deepslikes
    sri

1 person likes this.
  8. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Its really an eye opener of sorts. I have read about hippocampus reduction in such cases already and stored it aside just another information. Your explanation was lucid and helped me to understand that there is definitely more to it. -rgs

1 person likes this.
  9. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Awesome post Gowri. Totally agree with all you have said. I have never quite understood the "only cowards commit suicide" line. Committing suicide is certainly no task for cowards. Having said which, it saddens me immensely and makes it hard me to understand the motivation when I see young people committing suicide over their examination results, a chastisement by parents or teachers etc.

I can still not get over a suicide by a student of mine - a brilliant guy, a seemingly happy fellow who had a wonderful sense of humour and used to make people laugh ..... It pains me to think there was something troubling him enough to make him end his own life and he did not share it with anyone. No one knows why he killed himself.

2 people like this.
  10. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for talking about how you feel. If you are experiencing periodic episodes characterized by unexplained sadness, then I highly recommend seeing a doctor. You may feel that a doctor can't help you, but you won't know until you try. Depression doesn't always need to be treated with medicines, just talking to someone, and letting them know how you feel can be helpful. Talk-therapies and exercise are both very effective in combating mild depression. Please tell someone, and see a doctor.

2 people like this.