1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Extremes!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Aug 21, 2014.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Ask any learned ones or spiritual gurus or even read books to verify - all direct you to the same thing. Let there be a moderation in anything, be it pleasure or pain. We all know that it is easy to say, but very difficult to practise. If this could be said about what we do, then what could be said about meeting people who make you feel that they are from opposite poles?

One thing I should admit - extremes are more loved and liked in general and also sought after. Trying to get something more out of anything has always been the default expectation. Also, a bit of too much once in a while adds more spice to life. Is it not? Yes. I am including even the effects of that once in a while as well. At any age beyond childhood, there should be no regrets in general when we turn back, for not having something at some point of time. But what is the reality here? What about myself even?

Fine. let me jump to the main part straight away. It was late 2007 and I was in a place called Luton in UK, as a part of my consulting assignment. The weather was terrible and it was difficult to even come out of the house / office without a jacket. Since I did not have a car, I commuted to my office by a bus. On sunny days, I would have preferred walking that 5 kilometer stretch, but then it was not possible. On the way to the nearest bus stop from home, there was this big mosque and at times, the prayer soothed me a bit, in particular, in those cold winters. While you are alone and feel for it, even a fly can give you a huge relief. Right? There, I saw a bunch of lads distributing pamphlets and saying "Islam Islam Islam" like you do while chanting, to everyone who passed that way. I was extremely surprised to see them saying such and reading that pamphlet. It was a call to islam. That was the only time I have seen in my life till now, when such a call was made by people of this religion. I moved on and boarded a bus.

There was this old man who was clad in the cleanest of white kurtas I've ever seen. He too had a prominent face and I could spot the scar on his forehead that you normally see on those who do namaz for many, many years. He looked at me with an interest and affection that I was forced to look at him. He got down at the same stop where I did too. He stopped me and spoke a word in urdu [I guess so]. I blinked and that moment he realized that I don't belong to his religion. The next thing that he did shook me then and still make me nervous while writing this. His eyes blazed like sharpened steel and he spat [yes!] on the floor seeing me and left without saying anything more.

A couple of years later, I was commuting in the local train here in Chennai and as I just got a seat, I felt that someone was watching me. I just boarded after coming out of a temple, so had the sacred ash and kumkum on my forehead then. I spotted the person for whom I was the source of interest. It was an old man in nondescript clothes with the characteristic beard and no mustache. I was tense then as I had to reach office early and it was already late and was biting my nails [I still have that habit to kick] and wiping my eyes harder. When he saw me looking at him, he asked me not to bite my nails. I was a bit irritated at first, but his tone made me to obey [it was not a command, just a request]. Then involuntarily my hands went to wipe my eyes. "Let your fingers not go to your face now please!", he said and smiled. I wondered how his toothless grin was so good to watch. "You can get rid of it boy!", he said with a smile as I got down.

It felt like he was a fatherly figure to me and I was more awed by his patience and insisting without being harsh. To this day, I remember both as they are from two extremes for me. In a way, I understand that there is always a choice to us in deciding how we can be. While any extreme may tilt the balance, this one will always do that for good - love.

Yes. There is no extreme for love.

4 people like this.

Similar Threads
    1. gvart
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear RGS,

Scary what happened to u in UK. Yes we ahve some extremist people, who will not tolerate others.

in a similar way i see some people of a particular God, say Krishna, will not like if another devotee of another god, say shiva , say somethiong about his god.

And many veg people have an aversion to nonveg and drinkers like me.i am good, the others are not good, these are the signs of extremism.Why cant we sit with others, of different religions, of different eating habits, and get along with them?

For the sake of business where we stand to make money, we do business with Chinese and koreans for example, whop eat snakes, why so then ?

HAHA

i for one get along with most people, the more the diversioty i find, the more the fun for me.

Good one RGS.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  3. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Extremities outside neatly exhibited by experience - nice one RGS.

Extremities within??? Write about it later if already you haven't :)

1 person likes this.
  4. rgsrinivasan

It was a thought provoking response Kamalji. While we accept diversity in workplace why not in the common places? Besides, history tells us that there are many instances where the people of the same religion made their less euqipped ones to suffer. I don't see any specific reason other than the "have" and "have not" in such cases. Besides, I have friends from hindu, muslim and christian religions as well.
    Thanks for your feedback.

-rgs

1 person likes this.
  5. rgsrinivasan

Dear GG,

Thanks for your feedback.

Writing about extremities within is a challenge as a lot of courage and honesty is required. I will try that for sure. The only one whom I know of from the national leaders is our father of the nation. -rgs

6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear rgs,

Balance is needed for smooth running of life, no doubt about it.It gives a lot of security. But it gets monotonous sometimes and when there is a deviation from routine it remains in the brain for long time. Too good or too bad things would be remembered always. We do not easily forget.
    When some problem people around us give many solutions for it which are almost the same. But some one gives unusual and different path to overcome the problem. We think a lot about the unusual solution than the ordinary tried paths. If it works for us that would be in the mind forever.
    In the course of day we meet many people...as you met the Muslim gentleman and an elderly person who advised you not to bite nails(I too have the habit, especially when anxious and yet to overcome it)...you remember the two extremes (not extremists) very well. So, we remember out of the way things very well because they stimulate our brain to think a lot. My analysis may be wrong but I think so.
    Yes, there is no extreme for love but we do not love everyone to the extreme (that is what is preached but not practical)...we love only a few.
    Thank you.
    Syamala

1 person likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear RGS,

Religion means "that binds us to the origin". If one has to bind himself/herself to the origin, he/she should manifest love in full form. The life is created,sustained and ultimately merges in love. Anyone who expresses hate is not a true follower of any religion. To my knowledge, no religion teaches hate. A true Hindu or Christian or Muslim always love fellow beings.

The the first incident is not a reflection of a person who practices Islam whereas the second incident shows a true concern a Muslim has for the well-being of another person.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  8. rgsrinivasan

That was a straight forward, practical response Syamala. Thanks very much for that. Like all rivers merging with the sea, we all will be merged someday with the infinite and by then we will be nothing but love. You can see a marked difference in our own approach as we grow up towards certain things in life. Is it not?

Extremes exist as boundaries within which we play and there is nothing wrong in knowing some and even trying out a few, provided it doesn't harm us or others in anyway.
    -rgs

1 person likes this.
  9. rgsrinivasan

You are right Viswa and I fully agree. The only thing that is of real concern is the lack of good role models in real life, though there may be plenty already, not just coming to the limelight.
    Thanks for your feedback. -rgs

10. kishoreg

kishoreg Gold IL'ite

Its basically not about any religious system... its the humanity that should drive..

1 person likes this.