1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Khuswant Singh and BKS Iyengar

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Khuswant Singh and BKS Iyengar

Though I have never done Yoga in my life, bless me, but I admire these yoga gurus, like Ramdev Baba, and BKS Iyengar, how they concort their bodies, how much control they have.

I had heard a little about BKS , but not much was known. So today’s papers had a lot of info, his pics and interviews. Iyer had a tough childhood, suffered from TB and other diseases, and he then decided to learn yoga and make himself healthy, and later he spread it around the world.

But I am a follower of Khuswant Singh, so I started to compare. KS did not do yoga I am sure, and may have made a face if asked if he did yoga. But he too was healthy, well almost, till the end, wealthy yes, active yes, as was BKS.

But look at both these gentlemen from my eyes. BKS must never have touched alcholol , or ate meat, or ogled at babes in short clothes, who came to do yoga at his centres. He died at 95. Khuswant had scotch everyday, ate nonveg, ogled at all pretty women, was in his senses till his last day, And he lived till 100.

Both were not in the pink of health, BKS had a kidney ailment, Khushwant well had all the aches. Both were alert right till the end. My friends father, now 90, widower, goes for a walk in the evenings with his wlaking stick, around 6 pm, comes back at 7, takes his daily two drinks, dinner and sleeps at 9 pm. And he is still healthy, and good for his age.

Another friends father, a doctor himself, was operated for the same cancer as mine, died within a few months, not of cancer, but of depression. Reason ? His son said, dad was depressed, that he never drank, or smoked, then why did he get cancer ? He was my age 60.

But then we have the example of Morarji Desai, who lived till 100, but who celebrated just 25 birthdays, for he was born on 29[SUP]th[/SUP] Febuary, which comes onces in 4 years, he lived on drinking urine, and frugal eating.
    If we take Morarji to be the exception, Does it prove that drinking scotch, andbeing a colourful personality like Khushwant, give u the edge of 5 years over a yoga doing chap ?

I would be interested in the views of my friends here, for I am confused, so u guys can educate poor old me, please.

4 people like this.

2. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Re: Khuswant Singh and BKS Iyer

Kamalji - am sure you are confused a lot :)

The other blog - want to live the WB way or VM way - you completely forgot about it :)

It happens Kamalji and I understand that you miss your whiskey & cigarette above all oggling :):):)

3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear GG,

I am confused that is why i asked for clarification fron u all.Now i am sure i am confused.

HAHA

Thanks buddy.

4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Rexar,

Have i said anything bad about the yoga guru?is chap an offensive word?

You seem to be very touchy person, who takes things personally. i dont revere anyone, maybe u do.

This is the way i write, if u dont like , stay away please from my bl;ogs, maybe they aer not meant for u.

Regards

kamal

5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Iyengar Kamalji, not Iyer. Seeing such case histories I think the constitution of each individual is different and reacts differentlyto external stimuli. If BKS had drank and smoked he wouldn't have lived this long. But Kushwant Singh who drank but didn't smoke lived equallu long. Winston churchill was famous for his cigars but it never caused him cancer and he lived to a happy old age. I saw Kushwant Singh in Delhi's Lodhi Gardens few months b efore his death. Even though he was not able to walk on his own, he was walking with the help of a stick on the one hand and was supported by an attendant on the other. Despite his debility his spirit never 3eebbed. I think this was the cause with BKS too. May be that is the reason for their longevity.Why them? N.D.Tiwari in his ripe eighties is caught with three women at the same time while most people half his age aren't able to perform with one!

3 people like this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Kamalji,

It is indeed Iyengar and he is credited for bringing yoga to the west. That said, I agree with Balaji it is the constitution for when I read your blog, all I thought of was my grand mothers - in fact I ended up calling them too. No way of smoking and drinking no yoga for them and I am fortunate to have my grannies in their mid nineties and if I count extended family, I have even more of them :).

I do not know about the habits but both Kushwant and BKS Iyengar have a made a difference to their chosen fields and their lives. I think that is what matters.

7. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

2 people like this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Kamalji,

Joke: 90 year old was interviewed by a TV channel to obtain secrets about his Heath. He said, "I never touched cigarettes, alcohol, non-veg food, etc." when he was interviewed, the interviewer heard a lot of noises from the second floor of the house. When he asked, 90 year old said, "it is my dad who drinks everyday and make a mess".

Staying healthy is dependent on diet, exercise, doing our passion with great involvement, attitude of not getting affected by the setbacks, pure mind, state of happiness, etc. if one lacks one of the traits, perhaps, they could compensate with another.

Viswa

4 people like this.
  9. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Kamalji
    BKS iyengar and Kushwant singh have now proved that whether you are leading a healthy structured life doing Yoga or you drink and eat all the unhealthy food doesn't matter its just destiny which decides the day you leave this earth.
    kerman

3 people like this.
  10. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Kamal
    Kushwant Singh and BKS Iyengar were two luminaries that made our Nation proud not by living too long but by what they could achieve in their life time. They stand great testimony to the fact that it is not how long we live distinguishes us from the rest but how well we live and contribute to society. Singhji and Iyengar had no common parameters of comparison. Singhji was born in an elite Sikh family and had no problems of growing up into an elite individual. Iyengar was born in a poor Brahmin family and was one of the thirteen children of whom only 10 survived. Till his age of 15 he suffered from several debilitating diseases including TB. His taking up Yoga was at the instance of his brother in law to improve his health.

Singhji took to writing and Iyengar to Yoga. It was their chosen interests that made them prominent citizens of the world. Singhji was known by his writings and not by the whiskies he consumed! Iyengar did not stop with practising Yoga for improving his health. He went way beyond. He codified Pathanjali's Yoga Sastra and made it accessible to the West. Eminent personalities like Aldous Huxley, Yehudi Menuhin , British Royalty and Hollywood's Who's Who all became his ardent disciples. His fame penetrated even the impenetrable iron curtains of China!

Both Singhji and Iyengar got the second highest Civilian Award of the Country, Padma Vibhushan. Besides Time Magazine honoured Iyengar as one of the Hundred Most Influential People in the World. What Singhji achieved through his literary excellence, Iyengar achieved through Yoga. But for him, Yoga would have continued to be a deep mystery to the West.

The awards and accolades that both received in their lives were for what they achieved and not for living beyond 90! From Adi Sankara to Swami Vivekananda, many have become immortalised by their achievements though they lived only a short life. Let the length of life be kept aside when we discuss such great lives.
    Sri

8 people like this.