1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is raising children happy an achievable goal

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Everyone has the right to pursue happiness in life. We have heard many parents saying that “All we want is for our children to be happy”. Is that goal of the parents sustainable? There is so much anxiety among parents in raising their children. It looks like the mid-age crisis begins with the difficulties of raising children. Even though the child care comes naturally to the parents, their goal to keep the children happy appears to be elusive.

There are so many books on childcare in the libraries. Honestly, can someone reduce the childcare to a science? Is that responsibility associated with raising children disease free? Are children get influenced by their peers? Under what conditions their mental faculty develops? Do children share all of their questions and concerns freely with parents? Can they make independent decisions when they grow up? There are number of questions that linger in the minds of the parents.

Honestly, each child comes with his/her own agenda. There is no one size fits all strategy in raising children. It is the constant interaction of parents with their children that helps them understand their children better and better. The strategy of telling children what to do has to change to a strategy of listening to the children carefully what they are trying to communicate with their parents. Many parents benchmark their children with their own accomplishments or lack thereof. They like their children to do even better than what they had accomplished professionally or what they aimed to achieve but could not due to economic or social pressures.

Whenever parents of children of same age meets, the discussion always revolved around children and their capabilities. Parents always believe their children’s capabilities provide them social status. They constantly compare their children with that of others. In the past, children were asked to learn other skills besides education and sometimes, they were asked to work at a very young age in order to build social skills. Now both parents work and children are left with baby sitters or forced to stay alone at home. We have officially declared child labor as a social evil. They have so many technology gadgets to view things that may not be age appropriate or allowed to communicate with people whose interaction with children may not be appropriate. Now parents work full-time to educate children well but their other skills are developed only by sending them to extra-curricular activities such as dance, music, yoga and sports. The children take enormous pressure doing those extra-curricular activities. Parents need to spend time with their children to understand their skills as well as their needs and facilitate them.

Lastly, the parents need to understand that their children’s happiness and peace are the result of their actions and that themselves cannot be a goal. The children will have to build several qualities in order for them to feel peaceful and happy. They need to develop their discriminative power to understand the difference between right and wrong, understand survival in this world is directly proportional to how they become inter-dependent, believe love is an invaluable asset that they possess to carry out their duties in this world, realize communication with others is an important part of their personal development, and lastly possess self-confidence that every goal is achievable.

It is true peace and happiness are truly a state of mind. However, one can’t change the mind quickly to achieve peace and happiness. It is a life-long exercise. Peace and happiness in life are derivatives of the quality of life one conducts and they are not goals by themselves. If one likes his/her children to be happy and peaceful, they need to develop necessary qualities themselves to achieve peace and happiness so that it would be easier for their children to emulate such qualities. They need to train their children to achieve some great qualities that would help them to derive peace and happiness.

15 people like this.

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswamitra,

I was waiting for some other learned members would post their FB so that I can understand the topic better.

Mine is the perspective of layman. Not anything linked to philosophy ( In philosophy, spirituality I am not competent enough to discuss or argue. I am just trying to see what the fundamentals are).
    My view is that happiness and peacefulness are somewhat different. Happiness is fleeting, short lived and we jump to the next thing to find happiness. It is a hop like a monkey from tree to tree. Our life is full of incidents which give happiness and sometimes unhappiness also. So, it is a cocktail. Why life, even in a single day we find both. Peacefulness is a state of mind which gives happiness which is somewhat permanent. Because our way of viewing situations differ. That happiness or we can call peacefulness is permanent.
    Regarding children...primary duty of parents is to spend time with children, talk and listen (which is even more important). I still do not understand the concept of "quality time". Whether my parents have spend quality time with me or not, I do not know. But they were in the backstage to be there for me whenever I need them.
    Driving kids from one extracurricular activity to another extracurricular activity increases their stress, I completely agree with you.No gadget can replace time spent with children.
    Listen to their goals. Give suggestions but do not impose and let them decide. Atleast one parent should give a cushioning affect to the kid. I am mostly seeing "Tiger moms" . Then how would a child share things, both good and bad? At least dad should give the confidence. Parent should step back and just observe and be there.Every child is unique, grow according to her/his interests, ambitions, likes and dislikes
    And lastly ,parents should set an example by their behaviour and words alone would not have any effect. Children would observe parents more than listening to them.
    I have blabbered enough, I guess. I am doubtful if Cheeniya sir might move this to parenting section. In that case please read it there.
    Thank you for giving me an opportunity to express what I think.
    Thank you, sir.
    Syamala

11 people like this.
  3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vishwa,

Excellent. We all wnat our children to be happy. But what is happiness? Does anyone know how u get it ?

Happiness differs from person to person.you may be happy with a simple home food of yr choice, and i may be happy with a 5 star 1000 Rupee food.

i guess, as klds grow, give them freedom, along with responsibility. Tell them, listen, u have now to go for highter studies soon, so now study hard, so u get good marks and job, choose then yr own partner, chose ur house, yr city iof work, and dont bopther about us parents, of giving us somethign mnthly, u just take care of yrself and yr family.

once he knows he has to earn hios own living, that inheritance will come much later, when his parents are no moer, which will take a lot of time, he will learn to work hard, make his life, choose his partner, and learn to be haoppy with his acheivements.

But then these thoguths differ with each of us, i will go this way.

Regards

kamal

2 people like this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Viswa sir, you write from your heart and the abundant experience you garner not only from personal but observing around you. what is happiness and what is true pursuit of happiness i wonder at 40+. my children are both teenagers but i still have doubts if they know what is going to make them happy. i strongly believe happiness is a state of mind one has to come to. nothing or noone can make another happy unless they want to be. you cannot have happy parents or happy kids unless the parents wants to be happy or the kid wants to be happy. parenting today is a real struggle for many. you are never sure what is right, you are in a perennial fear/doubt of not doing enough,reasons could be anything from guilty of not giving quality time to not being able to provide.

every day we have books released. every person writes as if he is a authority on the topic. i believe no books can teach you parenting.parenting is not textbook compliant. we may get guidelines to an extent but to adapt and understand and move ahead. but Every child is unique. i consider them as r Art. a painting by the same artists cannot produce the same one unless it is xeroxed.I cannot reproduce the same even if consciously try to. there would be something of my touch in there.
    if that is the case of painting, two children from the same parents cannot be the same. there is peer pressure, there is sharing of concern and there is independent decision. but only when as parents we learn to let go yet be there for them all the time. I still remember what you wrote on my blog

we parents should understand that we are on a learning curve along with our kids. we need to understand and accept things change along with time. what was taboo for us could be acceptable for this generation. that we need to not raise hue for the same but to steer them in the right path with the power of choice in their hands. the power to choose the right path with the strong support of parents makes them independent decision makers. if they make wrong choices, the repercussions are theirs alone..yes they fall, they fumble, but they learn with the knowledge if the going becomes tough their parents are their to give support.

nothing can replace human interaction. a hug, a pat on the shoulder, a comforting talk is the need of the day with the amount of pressure from all corners.

learning to be at peace with oneself is a life long process and comes only with experience. we parents learn it during our mid-life crisis or further down the lane, but then asking the same from my kids who are just stepping on life is too much.

happiness is very subjective concept in today's world. what makes me happy does not even satisfy or makes someone feel good.

so happy children is a never ending goal..the more you think you are nearer the goalpost surprising it just moves a little farther...

just my pov.

10 people like this.
  5. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Nice one V

Happiness eludes when tangible things are measures
    for intangible realizations/experiences...

3 people like this.
  6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    Parenting has become tougher now than in our days. Couples are working out of necessity or to be productive on being highly educated. Nuclear family system has replaced joint family system. Hence children are left with caretakers when they can't manage on their own. When they are able to manage alone they are left to be alone with modern gadgets.

Due to technological development children are over exposed to many good and bad things. Hence there are chances for children going astray. Instead of punishing them parents should try to correct them through love and motivation.

It is natural for all parents to see their children happy. But at the same time they can't force the children to achieve something that's beyond their capacity which they think will bring happiness in their life. They should try to find out their children's interest and to focus them on that subject. Happiness and peace are different matters as other bloggers has explained before me.
    I believe peace is the state of mind which normally achieved by some at the end of successful life whereas even small things can bring momentary happiness.
    Love,
    PS

1 person likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Dear Syamala,

Thank you for being the first to respond to this post. I almost thought that no one is going to respond to this post and thank God you started some of the nicest feed backs I had received for my posts. Spirituality is not another parallel line that runs in our life and it is nothing but bundle of good values we possess through character development.

Again, happiness means different thing to different people. Happiness we derive as a result of great values one possesses is different from temporary and transient happiness we derive from material world. The satisfaction of doing the right things, establishing Truth as a core value in life, invoking the love inherent inside, not hurting anyone and enjoy the peace derived from these great values. These are not new values developed recently but taught in our scriptures in the name of Sathya (Truth), Dharma (Righteousness), Shanti (Peace), Prema (Love) and Ahimsa (Non-violence). These values eventually lead to permanent happiness called bliss.

All I was trying to communicate in my post is, instead of wanting to raise children happy, the parents should focus on raising children with some great values which would automatically give them enduring happiness. Happiness should never be the end goal and it is something each child gets as a result of developing his/her character. "Quality Time" is not necessarily the amount of time the parents spend with the children but how they spend that time. Most importantly, parents should realize each child is different and can never be compared with that of others or with own siblings. There is nothing the parents can teach to the children that they don't practice themselves and hence it becomes necessary to have those values themselves. That is why I said in my post, "If one likes his/her children to be happy and peaceful, they need to develop necessary qualities themselves to achieve peace and happiness so that it would be easier for their children to emulate such qualities".

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  8. Viswamitra

Dear Kamalji,

You are on to something. In earlier days, children were raised having responsibilities for their actions from a very young age. They have come into the world with their own agenda. They are going to pursue it anyway. All parents can do is to educate them the values they need to possess in life that would help them lead a happy, peaceful and contented life. Instead of wanting to raise children happy, they need to make them achieve happiness themselves. They need to realize that happiness derived from material world doesn't last long but contentment provides them to achieve happiness that remains forever. If there actions were made with discriminative mind, they can remain peaceful at all circumstances and allow them to take responsibility for their actions.

The children will make some mistakes as they grow but what they learn out of it is more important. That need to be discussed with them. In my opinion, children who learn how to make decisions earlier become more successful than the children who were told to follow instructions.

Viswa

9. Viswamitra

Dear Shanvy,

You have raised some very important questions to ponder in response to this post. I remember your blog earlier and my response to it.

At a very high spiritual level, we all come into existence with some basis core values and an intent to pursue bliss through our merger with the Creator. Obviously, each one of us don't know how long we have been traveling and how long we are going to travel in this world.

If we understand the concept that we have the grace of the Lord to succeed in our goal, our inherent nature that is associated with our Atmic Principle is going to manifest. Only the effort is lacking and with that effort, we will make progress. As far as children are concerned, if we understand that they have some inherent values residing already in them, we will realize our role as a parent is to invoke those inherent values. How do we do that? Only by practicing such values ourselves so that they could emulate such values. When a child experiences love from his/her mother, it reciprocates that because the child already has that quality inherently inside of him/her.

What you are talking about here is passion. Everyone comes into this world with two a) Atmic Principle with core values) and b) impressions of our actions or actions we did not pursue but desired to pursue in our prior life. It is difficult for anyone to realize core values of Atmic Principle unless one satisfies the impressions. While that Rajasic Guna is satisfied, a child should be given a lot of dose of divine core values. That is the best way we can put children on the right track. For that we should learn how to invoke our inherent Atmic Values.

Everyone of us is learning all the time in our lives. We have to realize that we have so much to learn from our own children as much as we teach them. The new generation might be different than older generation in terms of how they want to pursue their passion, how they want to be independent and how they bond with the parents but knowingly or unknowingly, they would be be watching the values practiced by their parents (provided they invoke their Atmic Values) and relate it with their own Atmic Values. Every life does that automatically.

The path might be different but everyone's goal is to pursue Bliss. Only the time it takes vary from person to person. That is why the goal to make a child happy is elusive. Only thing parents can do is to provide the value ingredients that would get them the end result of becoming blissful.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Dear GG,

It depends on what we see as happiness. If we learn how to take things that happens in our lives, we can achieve bliss that will never be elusive. Every experience happens for a reason and if we understand that, life becomes simpler. Making it simple works. It is hard but not impossible.

Viswa