1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Justice Beyond The Veil

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Aug 1, 2014.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Strange are the ways of the world. As I read a news item today, a lot of English idioms came to mind. They were not created just on a whim. I am sure there were many such episodes to justify coining them.

"Justice delayed is justice denied" is one such. We have a number of cases of crime where the perpetrator either gets away and is never punished or gets a lenient sentence due to some "mitigating" circumstances. But what happens when the police department fails in their job of nailing a criminal and the criminal is exposed only after death? Can a dead person be brought to justice. Yes, NO ONE as they say can escape the long arms of the law. One day or the other they will have to face the consequences of their deeds - or at least their mortal remains will have to. Take this example: Hollywood Shocker: ‘Gilligan
    A Hollywood actor was discovered to be a killer and his body has now been exhumed and interred in the cemetry of the Washington State Penitentiary for 100 years without parole!!!!! :spin:bang OMG! How dreadful! Whatever will the poor man do now? He has to be in jail for a 100 years! Or what will his family do for that matter? They might not be allowed to lay wreaths or light candles at his cemetry. So who is being punished?

This story reminded me of another which was making its rounds when I was a student in the UK. It was about how the UK authorities had spent something to the tune of 50 pounds to recover an amount of 1 pound from a person and this amount had been spent over a period of 1 year. Now I know where the expression "Penny wise, pound foolish" came from!

Well, well, I don't know if they got their 1 pound back or the 50 pounds, but they certainly gave me one reason to laugh and a story for me to write about here! :-D

3 people like this.

2. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Usually trolls entertain on Fridays - but a nice one from you this week S' :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

Hilarious, 100 years eh ! HAHA

there was this chap who won a case in mumbai after some 10 years, he was charged one paise extra which the conductor did not have change, so a case was filed, and he won, was granted 1 paise and some 100 bucks reward, god knows what he spent on the lawyers, but he sure spent some good 10 years fighting the case.

HAHA

Regards

kamal

paise wise, rupee foolish in this case ?

1 person likes this.
  4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,
    "Justice delayed is justice denied." The 2004 Kumbakonam school fire accident case in which 94 innocent children were killed and 18 others seriously injured the final verdict was pronounced only day before yesterday nearly after 10 years. The parents of the children are not satisfied with the verdict.

In the year 1996 many fly by night finance companies lured people by announcing high rate of interest on deposits and cheated their depositors and many cases are still pending. Many senior citizens who deposited their life savings died due to shock and some others also would have died after so many years.

In this Hollywood shocker case what is the use of punishing a body after so many years?
    Adages are still accepted because they are based on real life experience and truth.
    Love,
    PS

3 people like this.
  5. BHAVNAM6

BHAVNAM6 Platinum IL'ite

My dear Satchi,

You vividly tried to make your point in a humorous style.
    penny wise pound foolish.....loved it.....

Love,
    Bhavna

1 person likes this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

This certainly is the icing on the cake Satchi! Now, I will always smile when I use this phrase.

Now, you have to tell me this - where the heck do you find the stories like the one you have shared about this actor! I followed the link and wanted to :hide: Which reminds me, it's been a long time since I spoke with my neighbor - she is my official hollywood gossip entertainer! She loves reading about all that.

1 person likes this.
  7. satchitananda

Thanks GG. :)

8. satchitananda

Kamalji, I was left wondering what they would do after 100 years. Dig up the skeleton again and relocate it to its original grave?

9. satchitananda

What about punishing the police for their failure in nailing down the criminal earlier?

1 person likes this.
  10. satchitananda

Thanks Bhavna. :)