1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Random acts of Kindness --- A Butterfly Effects

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by JustMyself, Jul 29, 2014.

1. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

In life, we make chance encounters, and one little incident could impact you or others involved in many ways that we could imagine.. like the butterfly effects.

I kind of believe that. I believe that when we do some good, something good would come out of it, and we are planting a seed of goodness.

Around 15 yrs back, I was fresh out of college, went to Bangalore alone for my project work (loaded with heavy luggages, as I had vacated my college hostel for the 6 months project). I did not have any relatives, nor friends. Had one of my seniors in college, who gave me her address for initial stay. When I landed in a city of unknown language, it was early morning 5:00 AM. It was drizzling, sun was still coming up, and I had to take another bus to a remote part of Bangalore before I can afford to take an Auto/cab. So, started walking the 200 mts from one terminus to another. Two guyz, one 20+. and another 16-17, looked like brothers, came to me and offered to help. I said, am ok. I can manage, and they insisted. The elder guy told, dont worry am like your brother. I analysed, and decided to hand-over the suitcases, and chose keep my carry-on and hand-bag, as if at anytime I see the situation getting worsen, I can throw my carry-on on them and run with my hand-bag alone (I had to be cautious !) Those 2 perfect strangers helped me carry my stuff all the way to the new bus station, and helped me to board in the right bus. I said Thank-You, and the words felt so in-sufficient. I was lucky, to be part of a random act of kindness. I don't know their names nor do they know mine. I felt bad that I doubted them, but I was glad that Humanity & Kindness was still actively alive.

Fast Forward.... Yesterday, it rained very heavily, without much warning (being in LA, I didnt care to check the weather :) ). Anyway, I had gone shopping, and I a mere walk of 100 yards from shop to my car left me drenched. I had an umbrella in my car though. I smiled within, and start driving back home. On the way back, I saw a girl student, hardly 19 yrs standing in a bus-stop with no roof over her head. (only a bus-stop sign). She was trying to cover herself from the rain with just a notebook. Now being in the car, at the speed & traffic I was in, I could not stop immediately. So, I took the immediate next turn, rode back and asked her if she needs a ride. She refused (Being a stranger, I expected her reply to be that). I remembered my umbrella, and offered her the same. She could not believe, and was hesitant if I meant it... When she realised, she smiled took it and thanked me. It took us 5-10 seconds to have the entire conversation, handed her the umbrella, and I drove off. I was glad again.

Am sure, we may have either provided or received several random acts of kindness. Would like to know if you had been involved in one.

Please share your stories.

27 people like this.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Re: Random acts of Kindess --- A Butterfly Effects

Both of them are such amazing incidences JMS! I am always moved and touched when I hear these and to be honest, I was hoping that you would offer your umbrella even before you mentioned. For some reason, that pleased me more than offering the ride itself!

Nice write up, enjoyed reading it thoroughly! Thank you for sharing such heart warming stories. We need to hear these and do these random acts of kindness more than we realize.

5 people like this.
  3. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

This is a very nice, and upbeat post, especially where Indian men are doing nice things for ladies (I really needed that affirmation, especially after the past few days)

I cannot think of anything on the top of my head. But I do try to be friendly if someone calls my office and needs to be transferred to another department (would you believe, people actually hang the phone on them)

1 person likes this.
  4. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Srama,

Thanks for stopping by to share your thoughts. I agree, I get moved too, and feel the warmth of happiness in me to even listen to such stories.

Yes, every little kindness makes the world a better place.

5. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Thanks for sharing your views. Even a mere smile to a stranger and little guidance to a person lost is crucial. Am glad you try to do your share every little way possible.

And Yes, sometimes we do need to read some good deeds of men to remember their goodness of heart too.

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear JustMyself,

I remember a few acts of kindness I was a beneficiary. One was described by my parents as I was too young to understand the act of kindness. I was 2 year old, lived in Pune and went to receive someone coming from Chennai. While my parents were busy greeting the relative, I took off and boarded Deccan Queen leaving for Mumbai in the next platform. Luckily, one of the railway policemen saw me boarding the train alone, brought me down from the train quickly and reported to the Station Master. When my parents came to report to the Station Master about my absence, I was already sitting in front of the Station Master. Had I left in the train that day, I would be living in Daravi area working as a daily worker. Sometimes I feel that every success I enjoy in my life is to be dedicated to that single act of kindness.

Second, when I was in the college to do my undergrad, we went on a picnic to an Island. Our boat capsized midstream and immediately the boy who was rowing the boat swam across to reach the other side of the river. We were three in the boat out of which two of us didn't know swimming. The friend who knew swimming didn't leave us behind instead asked us to hold his shirt while he could swim to reach us safely to the bank. When we asked him what made him not to swim to safety immediately, he explained that his heart won't let him leave us behind and be peaceful for the rest of his life. We were very moved by his act of kindness.

There is a lot of humanity around us if we care to look for it.

Viswa

13 people like this.
  7. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

When we receive kindness, we are so grateful and when we show kindness it gives us so much joy.

Words have so much power. I recently said some positive words to some one. Not online or through mail, but in person. It was what the person deserved and I didn't speak anything untrue. I could see the emotions in the person who was receiving it.

I was so excited that I rehashed that incident in my mind over and over for couple of days.

I was once taught that when you feel good about someone, you should not hold that thought within yourself. It would be injustice. The rightful thing would be to share that with that person and show appreciation. Share with others and show appreciation.

Does the above seem trivial? Am I making a mountain from a molehill?

Giving compliments is such a joy that I see it as a same as an act of kindness. Not only does the recipient feel good, but so does the provider.

5 people like this.
  8. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Hello Viswa,

Both were very touching stories.. 1 single minute, 1 quick act by the policeman, gave you your life back.. That was Deep !

Also, your friend is such a courageous person. It is not easy to do what he did. There used to be a presidential award for "every day Hero". I believe your friend deserves that !

I agree, there are little acts of kindness getting carried out through out this world this very minute.. Why else, would we get the little drops of rain on earth !

Thanks for sharing the incidents.

Cheers,
    JM

1 person likes this.
  9. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Very true FromMars !

When it comes to kindness and humanity, nothing is too trivial, a smile, softly spoken good words, a little act of kindness.. everything is important !

Right words at the right time can make huge impacts in people lifes ! Am glad you said what you said.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Warm Regards,
    JM

10. kishoreg

kishoreg Gold IL'ite

we are habituated to ignore such kind of helping gestures ,even though their intentions are good because of the kind of society we are in,
    atleast there are still a few people we must appreciate their efforts :)

1 person likes this.