1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Strange Visitor

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

“Don’t open the pool door”, said my wife. I was not paying attention as I was on the phone with my son. I was going to take Orion out to the pool area so that he could chase the lizards in the pool area. “Pay attention, I told you not to open the pool door”. I have not heard her giving such a strict instructions with a firm voice. This time I paid attention and stopped opening the pool door.

I told my son that I would call him later as there appears to be an emergency at home. I asked my wife, “What is wrong?” She pointed her fingers near the pool and to my shock and surprise, I found a black reptile waiting welcoming Orion and myself. At the same time, Orion found him and started barking at the reptile with all his strength. I picked up Orion, asked my wife to take him away and went for a long stick to push the snake away from the pool area. I also opened the door to access the pool from the yard to help the snake to run away. But my wife screamed loud, “Don’t go to the pool area. Ask Kenny to come and remove the snake from the pool area”.

I immediately obliged and called Kenny, the lawn mower. In the meantime, snake moved further away from the pool to find its way after seeing us standing in a threatening posture. It tried twice or thrice to escape through the pool screen not knowing that it is not an open area. Finally, it found the hole through which it came and escaped through the same whole.

Kenny told me that he was working on another yard and would visit us as soon as possible. I patiently waited and my wife decided to go for a walk in the beach as she was sick of looking at a snake for a long time. Orion settled down quietly in the couch as he was no longer threatened by the strange visitor.

Finally, Kenny came after 40 minutes and we both looked for the reptile inside the pool enclosure but could not find it. Therefore, we decide to look for the hole that allowed it to come inside in the first place. There was a water drain that was built underneath the pool enclosure for rain water to drain out of the pool area and there was a tiny hole between the storm water drain and the pool enclosure. We found that gap 4-5 years ago and plugged the hole with a newspaper. Due to lot of rain for the past 4-5 years, the paper got worn out and Orion somehow managed to bite and remove it from the hole. We took a fresh set of newspaper pages and plugged the hole and checked whether the hole was completely covered. Hopefully, the snake won’t be able to visit our pool area anymore.

When my wife returned after her walk in the beach, I successfully told her that there is no risk of snakes coming into our pool area again. I called my son to continue my conversation and told him what interrupted our call. He suggested to go to Home Depot and buy a rubber door stopper and cut it into the size of whole and plug it in so that I don’t have to worry about newspaper getting worn out again. I appreciated his suggestion and I am planning to now permanently fix this hole to keep that snake visiting us again.

I always wonder what makes all of us so scared of some of the creatures among many others. Because a few of them have a better capacity to make us sick. Sometime back, when I was listening to a discourse, a spiritual speaker was explaining having bad thoughts in our mind as equivalent of having a snake in our bed room. Everyone who was hearing that discourse got that point quickly across our mind as we were able to relate the situation very well. If we could not sleep having a snake inside our house, we should not be able to sleep with bad thoughts in our mind either.

What is the stick that we can hold to drive those bad thoughts away? That stick is called introspection. If we keep analyzing every thought in our mind regularly and find out the sanctity of each one of them, we can overcome the trouble of putting some of our bad thoughts into action. Introspection really disciplines our mind and we certainly escape from the fear of living with those bad thoughts. Instead of facing the consequences of bad action, we can eliminate it even when we feel the presence of those thoughts.

10 people like this.

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shri Viswamitra,
    An enlightening snippet.It is how we perceive things in day to day life.

I am reminded of how mice entered my son's house in California when my DIL had given birth to her 2nd child in 2012.As I had to pack lunch for my grandson, I found to my dismay that the drawer containing Tiffin dubbas were full of Mice poo poos.
    As I pulled the garbage container, two bright eyes startled me.We brought many mouse traps( sticky type) and placed them in vulnerable areas.After 11 at night certain mice were seen running over the hearth.Catching the mice became one of my routines and my grandson wrote a score board even.
    When the mice started entering the bed room visiting the baby crib,we became panicky. The handy man, plumber were not of much help. We plugged the apparent holes with devices from the Home Depot. Nothing worked.
    They had to spend nearly $1000/ to repair the drain system in the bath room, plastering one cm hole beneath the water closet.
    For nearly three months it was a great nuisance.Some potato bites, bread slices, apples half bitten,kids' wears with small holes.What a problem!
    Your snippet reminds me that a big reptile like snake alone does not cause concern, but even small mice can make pieces of your peace.
    It is not a big bad thought, but little little tiny evil thoughts also do matter a lot.Sometimes small enemies are worse than a single strong enemy. We will be attacked at unknown hours from unexpected corners without exactly knowing who has made the mess.
    In addition to the big stick of'introspection', we need small sticks, tiny hooks like disciplined habits, satsang,listening to discourses ( not of hear and forget type) and a sense of determination .Once the house is full of bugs & mice( figuratively) it may take sometime to drive them out.
    Prevention is always better than cure. However once these creatures enter the house/mind it needs extra efforts to cull them out make our mind free.
    The reptile made you introspect, and your snippet gave us further opportunity to spread the introspective vision further.
    Thank you Viswamitra. It is a great delight to read your mail.
    Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

I am not at all surprised sir and you are not the first one I am hearing from about snakes this time - I don't know why, probably the less severe summer. One of our friend's found them all over the house, yes in closets and what not till they figured out where they were all coming from and did something. I shuddered looking at the pics she was sharing!

That said, I do kind of get about understanding our thoughts and how they can deter us from doing certain actions. As a principle, every time I react severely to situations, I do try to understand the reasoning behind my own reaction and that always throws in a new perspective to me and hopefully is helping me understand myself better. I have to confess, as much as it looks like I am giving in or appear like I am putting up to others, i believe I am doing myself some good.

Well, that said I do hope you will not get to see any of these not so much welcome creatures around and that Orion can go about playing as he wishes!

2 people like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Dear Mrs.Jayasala:

What a delight to get the first response from you that too rich in content. I have read your systematic approach to eliminate the menace of mice earlier. It does not matter whether it is a dangerous reptile or mice, we need to get rid of them if they are uninvited guest as opposed to pets.

You are absolutely right about whether thoughts are major or trivial, they are bad for our well being. It might start off as a trivial bad thoughts and later become a habit to develop such thoughts. The mere existence of such thoughts are bad for our well being even if they are lingering in our mind with no action. Habits after all die hard. That is why learned people suggest our true character is what we are when no one else is watching. Again thank you for mentioning other smaller sticks such as disciplined habits, Satsang, listening to discourses, etc.

It is always a delight to read your posts as well as responses.

Viswa

5. Viswamitra

Dear Sabitha,

A few days back, my cousin in Toronto asked me whether we have snakes in Florida and when I responded affirmatively to her question, she almost freaked out and told that she would never live in a place that has so many snakes. Well, they have a right to coexist along with human beings like any other specie. It is true reptiles somehow makes us feel very afraid of them and they do such actions only because they feel challenged by the human beings. We have plugged the hole into the pool area but that does not prevent snakes roaming around our yard. Orion chases things until they respond and once they respond, he gets very scared. Therefore, I feel he is safe and perhaps learned already not to chase snakes. His targets are lizards, squirrels and rabbits and sometimes peacocks.

There can't be better way to learn about ourselves than watching our own reactions. I still go back to controlling the receipt, reaction and response methodology. We can control what we receive, how to react to such information and finally decide how to respond. Reactions most of the times are from our emotions than our discriminatory faculty. Feelings that come from our lower mind are mere chatter whereas feelings coming from our heart are stronger with conviction. I always feel watching our words, actions, thoughts, character and heart gives us the strength to face adverse situations well. They are together know as WATCH.

Viswa

6. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

No Viswa sir. Snakes manage to find out holes, which are often invisible to human eyes.

The rule of thumb is, if a rat is able to enter your house, then, that means, there is a surely a chance for a snake also to enter. The hole which allows rat entry is fair enough for snake entry also.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,

Strange visitor?? You mean scary visitor!

How cool you are about a snake entering your pool/yard. After patiently explaining to us about it as to how you dealt with while talking on the phone with your son as your wife took off for a stroll....Yes, not just Viswa, the whole family is cool...

Well, what is left to do you may ask...I don't know! In my house, if such a thing were to happen, I will be jumping up and down and if they were there...daughters may disappear and even sons-in law may pretend not to be there (as they are just as scared about cockroaches, spiders and all things that are not suppose to live with us in the house!! Blame it on the Urban upbringing!). Only my poor brave hubby will be dealing with whatever it is. thinkingsmiley

He found a garden snake last year which he gently prodded away towards the far away bushes. These days there is a game of wits going on between him and a family of groundhogs that have made a home near our deck. He would have convinced me that they can live there in peace if not for them eating up all our flowering plants and hubby's veggie patch. Not just that, on a lazy sunny afternoon, they sit near the french doors peeping inside the house to make small talk with us! Now that is enough to stop me from living a normal life!!!!!!! So now the cage has been put and hubby serves them the bestestest salad leaves, carrots, cucumbers, bananas and even expensive swiss cheese and ears of corn! They look and make a big bow around the cage!! Unfortunately a skunk got attracted to it and you can imagine the hell that followed. I mean, hubby released it, but not before the skunk showed its prowess!! Next we knew, hubby was showering the whole deck with scented soap water and ran into the shower and washed all his clothes! :rotfl

Well, now the groundhog home has been barricaded with metal wires and concrete after driving them out with water from the power wash hose. Now let us see their next move.....

See, how the appearance of a snake turns you all philosophical and me into a rambling old lady..........?!

L, Kamla

4 people like this.
  8. Viswamitra

Dear Darmesh,

Believe me, we did a thorough search into the entire pool area kneeling down to see holes but there were none. This hole is between the storm water drain and the pool enclosure frame. It is very tiny but somehow the snake managed to sneak through to visit our pool area. Our pet Orion is the frequent visitor to the pool area as none of us use our pool.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Dear Kamla,

My wife is definitely on your side regarding snakes. I am not brave either but being the only man in the house, I have to do what it takes to handle the situation. But she doesn't like her husband risking to take a snake head on. With all fairness, I admit that I didn't notice the snake when she asked me not to open the door as I was busy talking to my son. Had I noticed, I would have jumped to close the pool door quickly. No one likes to invite the snake inside the house and chase it.

What a mess to destroy the vegetable plants? Your husband is very tolerant to let the groundhogs to coexist by the side of your house. If I were to deal with a skunk even once, I will find it hard to eat for another day. No wonder your husband ran straight to his shower besides washing the deck with scented soap water.

My heart tells me to love all beings but I don't mind feeding a rabbit or squirrel keeping them in my hand but how do I hold a skunk? I am not even sure whether Rama would have been so nice to hold it, if a Skunk were to help him to build the bridge to Sri Lanka?

Viswa

10. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

Viswa sir,

Even if there are no holes anywhere in the house, the toilet outlet is always there. The water seal in toilet commode's bend ensures many insects entry into the commode in the reverse direction. But, there are instances (seen in National Geographic Channel) where even big snakes have entered through the toilet commode, even through the water seal.

In the wild, all normal snakes can withhold their breath and go deeper in water for minutes. Hence, crossing the water seal of commode is nothing for a snake.

1 person likes this.