1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Old age has its toll!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Jul 28, 2014.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Aging profoundly affects appearance, sensation, and motor abilities. An older adult's appearance changes as wrinkles appear and the skin becomes less elastic and thin. Small blood vessels break beneath the surface of the skin, and warts, skin tags, and age spots (liver spots) may form on the body. As the skin shrinks the nerves are visible prominently. My peers(I mean those who are in mid seventies) might have all these age related symptoms and many even have arthritis, but due to Lord's Grace I am free from this excruciating sickness. kneesmileyAs and when our fall season starts we should be extremely careful not to fall and break our bones. Of course it is not in our hands.

I may be young at heart,[​IMG] (am I) but the wear and tear that occurs due to aging could not be stopped. Body systems and organs, such as the heart and lungs, become less efficient. Overall, wear and tear of body parts has its effects. Brain cells diminish and the memory power also decreases. At times can't recognise people who were close at one time. While writing even simple words are evading from memory. So now you know why I am not posting blogs or snippets frequently. In a way it will be a great relief to our IL members as you don't have to read my scribbling and post fbs.

Apart from all these hurdles I am still trying to follow my daily routine, but it takes a little longer to finish all those mundane tasks. Still I don't have a servant. But now I have started using washing machine at least once in three days.Seems I have become lethargic.

I stopped watching the TV serials which mostly vilify both mils and dils. Even super singer programme is disappointing when the judges also put on make ups and act awkwardly. Once used to watch Arnab's prime news time, but now that also has become like a fish market. I do read some religious books in between.

Though I am not so active in IL as before I'll keep pestering you on and off with my write ups when I feel like it.

2. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ammulu,
    Thanks for dropping in and posting the first fb to my post.

Nucleus family system has deprived the grandparents enjoying their grand children's fun and frolic. They have to interact with them through Skype and whats up or faceview whenever they get time. Nowadays all are too busy.
    PS

3. BHAVNAM6

BHAVNAM6 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Pushpa Ma'am,

your youthful charm is your asset...and motivation for others.

I am really proud of you.

Love,
    Bhavna

4. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

You are keeping your body active. That is really great.

And, because, you keep yourself active, you are free from the typical old age disabilities. Human tissues function well, as long as we keep giving work to it, Aunty !

No you are wrong. The posts of old aged members like you, Cheeniya sir, iyerviji & jayasal42 are read very keenly by many members like me.

None of us are going to stop aging and remain in thirties always. We also have to reach your age, sooner or later.

So, we are very keen to understand the thought processes and attitudes of esteemed old aged members like you. We see ourselves, (when we reach your age) in you and your writings.

I personally think, all the above four members posts including you are very valuable and priceless !

3 people like this.
  5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pushpavalli ma'm,

What you say about old age is true! Even if the spirit is willing, body may not agree!

Having said that, Ma'm, you are Only in mid-seventies perhaps?! Which is today's fifties :) Yes, longevity of humans has increased, thanks to better living conditions, medicines and education. Hence it would be wrong to consider this side of fifties as really old age and talk about renunciation and death!

I see this tendency more amongst us Indians, is it some sort of mental conditioning I wonder. Because, here in the west, people are talking about vacationing, meeting new partners (as some may have divorced or lost partners), marriage and fun. How theytreat their age is amazing and a matter to ponder. Though this mentality is also slowly catching up in our societies too. Look at the yummy mummies and grandmas for example in our very prominent film industry! Sharmila Tagore can give a run to even her own young daughter and daughter-in-laws where glamour and grace is concerned, just to name one! We have our own Chithra Vishwanathan , Chitvish, who is getting more popular than the more young and glamorous cooks of the world!!

The recent demise of Zohra Sehgal was an insight to me at least as to how I should treat my growing age and makes me believe and say...Yes, age is only a number! :)

Check this:
    Zohra Sehgal: Lesser Known Facts - The Times of India

Decades later, she recalled: "I went to Germany at 18 and I was in purdah till then. The burqa was made of silk. I asked them to cut it up and make petticoats out of it." Interestingly, Sehgal used to charge a fee for an interview in a magazine. More so when she became old. She justified this in her own witty way to a prospective interviewer in 1997 when she said: "I'm 85 and have to start saving for my funeral." She wanted to die a rebel too. She once famously confessed to Khushwant Singh that she wanted electric cremation. "I don't want any poems or fuss. And for heaven's sake, don't bring back my ashes. Flush them down the toilet if the crematorium refuses to keep them," she said.
    She will definitely be missed, more so because not many true rebels exist in India today.

Read more at:
    http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/zohra-sehgal-the-rebel-who-lived-and-died-on-her-own-terms/1/371012.html

L, Kamla

7 people like this.
  6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pushpa,

i am now approaching 61, same here, i am lethargic, takes a while to get up, and whn i sit i keep sitting. i guess it is the same, with all of us, the organs are slow, the liombs too take time, but i guess it is a part of life.

good ot know u are in good spirits and may u be healthy always, and post at IL.god bless u

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear PS Madam,

I have a lot of respect for seniors. Their experiences in life, analysing ideas, things, viewing an idea or thought from different angles and explaining their perspective...all these make a difference in younger people. Only thing is they should be prepared to listen. Mothers can understand them because they know they have to be in their shoes as time passes on. Those who take care of parents can understand them and identify themselves with them.
    Out of context...there is one Doctor couple Suryaprakash Rao in Hyderabad. They are middle aged doctors and do a lot of service as doctors, charitable service etc. Once an interview came over on radio with him. In the end of programme there was one question from the interviewer "What is the message that you want to give youngsters?" He replied " If there are old people in your family make conversation with them. For that matter, with any any senior. They are treasure house for wisdom and values. Listen to them patiently. There would be a lot of change in value system, human feeling and outlook of life.
    Even if one has a long string of degrees but no values it is of no use, leave out to others, for themselves also." I liked his reply. O.k physically some changes bound to happen in body...but your maturity, tackling problems is amazing. So, please share with us. We would learn a lot. Cheeniya sir, Viji madam, Jayasala Madam and many others .....you all write wonderfully and it makes us think a lot.
    I see a couple of serials and that's all. Some are very repulsive. When children study we do not on the T.V at all. I wish you good health for the many coming years.

Syamala

6 people like this.
  8. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for saying exactly what I said a few hours before. Yes, the four members you named are the same I also named.

Their words and they themselves are very precious, we learn a lot from them !

1 person likes this.
  9. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

PS Mam you are all very active in mid seventies and i feel ashamed to say i am worn out in my late fifties.I get new ideas from some of our friends whether they are old or young.Every post of you bring some innovative thinking and i love that much.

10. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pushpa Madam,
    I loved your post. Being more or less of same age I am able to understand appreciate what you feel.
    But these group mails and discussions keep us lively and busy. Though we may not be active participants, even passive reading helps in absorption though not much in assimilation.

"Age is in our mind more than anywhere else.Age is an issue of mind over matter.If you don't mind your age,it does not matter" My friend very often used to quote the above lines from Mark Twain.I am very much fascinated by this quote.
    A young soul can live in an old body and all the limitations relating to old age are in our heads.
    This advice though may relate to age, has an impact on self confidence also.When we believe we have a problem,worry, anxiety - may be about ageing also-we knowingly or unknowingly transmit the same to people around us and there is a tendency to pass on the negative vibration.People can feel the lack of self confidence in you and they start treating you as you treat yourself.
    Though we may be talking only about our age and age related issues, it may have an impact on society at large and we should not make ourselves responsible for creating a -ve vibration among our friends and relatives either by words,deeds or writings.

There are many criticisms against TV Serials , MIL/DIL conflicts and picturising women as the most cruel villains and so on.A world renouned Psychologist has written a book conveying therein that TV Serials help a lot in preventing Ulzaimers in Senior Citizens as it makes them rewind the earlier day's episodes or rather it is a brain exercise.

This is a well researched book written by a neuro physician cum psychologist.I don't say that we should become TV Addicts;But there is nothing wrong in looking through one or two serials . As matured individuals we may not relate ourselves with good/bad episodes.Let that be a brain exercise without breaking our heads.
    Thank you Madam for making me share my views.

Jayasala 42

6 people like this.