1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sleep Pretty Darling, Do Not Cry, And I Will Sing A Lullaby

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Jul 26, 2014.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Life is so full of its strange twists and turns. Just a couple of weeks ago I wrote about how mom was doing well and was a lot better than she had been around the end of last year and early this year.

I spake too soon. Did I cast an evil eye on my own mom? She suddenly took ill with the chronic urinary infection she had been carrying since she came out of hospital nearly 2 years ago. Probably it had reached her kidneys. To cut a long story short, she breathed her last within 3 days of getting high fever and rigors. It was a sudden end.

The emotions I felt were very mixed. Looking down at her face as she lay there on her bed, I felt very happy for her. She looked so tranquil and peaceful with no sign of pain. She looked like she was in a deep slumber after a lifetime of hard work - a very well deserved rest. Sleep pretty darling, do not cry, and I will sing a lullaby.

On the other hand, yes, it is a tremendous loss for me. Even if she was not all there, even if she could not remember my name, even if she was in her own world a lot of the time, I miss visiting her every second or third day and spending time with her and seeing her sweet, childlike, mischievous grin. But I can't be selfish, I can't wish her to live indefinitely and suffer just because I want to see her in front of me all the time. Besides I now have 2 guardian angels standing guard over me. :-D

Strange though it might sound, it is in some ways a relief for me too - watching her suffer was a living death for me every moment. Now both she and all of us who underwent mental agonies over her suffering have been shown mercy by the Lord.

The obsequies were done. The ashes were immersed in the Sangam at Srirangapatnam. The weather was beautiful, the river was full, the water flowed swiftly, all around it was so lush and green with lots of birds on the rocks. A temple could be spotted in the distance. I am sure mom would not have wished for a better resting place.

My mind was also at peace as I released the ashes in the river and saw them float away. I had carried the pot on my lap all the way - the very last moment when any human being can be with another. My mom - my baby in her final years - travelled on my lap on her last journey and went off on a nice little swim down the river to join the wide ocean, to be free for eternity. We had done the best we could for her.

She had passed away on an Ekadasi day and the cremation was on a Dwadasi. It is said "ekadasi maranam and dwadasi dahanam" is only for the very blessed persons and is very difficult to get. I am so happy for her. She is relieved of all her sufferings and has joined my dad, her family and all our friends upstairs. They are having a grand party there - I can hear all the ruckus they are creating there. Good for all of them. :-D

Just as the rivers discard their individual names to merge with the sea
    So too the wise ones discard their egos to merge with the Infinite

Akashat patitam toyam - 22 July 2014.jpg

33 people like this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

The last few days have been very busy with friends coming over, calling and it is really very heart warming as well as humbling to realize how many well-wishers and friends I have in the real as well as in the virtual world. It has kept me from going completely down in the dumps.

In fact it is nice sitting down with my sis and bil and chatting about old memories. I pulled out some old pics and could not help smile when my cousin told me where it was taken - in Mumbai - when the entire family, my mom, dad, my sis, I, my mom's parents and siblings with their families all went one evening on an outing to a studio to have photos taken. I could not help smiling. The very thought of a family outing to a studio is something I can't think of today - at least it is not so common any more. What an innocent and simple way of passing the time of evening. :-D

We were also recollecting our visits to our dad's family home. I remembered going out with my uncle when I was 5. He bought some grape juice for me. Some warning bells went inside my little head and I asked him "isn't this alcohol"? Today I can't help wondering where I got such notions at that age! LOL. I remember him growling at me to shut up and quietly drink it up. :rotfl

12 people like this.
  3. Yumna

Yumna Platinum IL'ite

Satchi,

Heartfelt Condolences to you dear.

and I don't know what else to say.....!

4. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

S' as practical as it should be - that's life.

Never can you stop anyone who has taken an entry visa to a journey unknown with a no entry to this world.

Good to see you that you have recouped - if you haven't let your cries out, please do, the loss/pain has to be released.

3 people like this.
  5. GaythriV

GaythriV Platinum IL'ite

Satchi,
    My heartfelt condolences to you. May your Mother's soul rest in peace.
    Nice to know about your childhood memories.

1 person likes this.
  6. Angellic

Angellic IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi ma'am,

I really donno what to say but my granny used to say, when we lose our loved one here on earth, we gain an angel in heaven who watches over us. May you take comfort in knowing that you have an angel to watch over you now.
    My most sincere condolences to you.

2 people like this.
  7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

What can I say?! Reading this made me sad and happy for you and for me...It is going to be two years since I lost my mother. All those feelings, all those thoughts and all those motions you are going through are so familiar. As a matter of fact, it has been somewhat comforting and I feel very close to you reading your words for I felt the same, it was like as though I could have written it!! So it goes to show that we connect well emotionally !

I am glad that you are at present surrounded by family and friends. That's how it should be. They say the first thirteen days one is engulfed in a sort of Maya. Our true emotions are numbed and all that goes on in the name of rituals are to help the bereaved to bear their loss. A distraction. But something we may need and not to be avoided.

Besides, as you rightfully say, you should celebrate the nice moments you had with her and think of the affectionate times. No use living a life of a vegetable. It is good she went with her dignity and without too much suffering.

All the best to you my friend. Wherever she is, she must be happy and at peace and will bless her girl with smiles.

L, Kamla

1 person likes this.
  8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Satchi

My heartfelt condolences. Yes dear we will be happy if our mother lives for long but what to do we all have to die one day. You have looked after her so well so you are also blessed. Ya Ekadesi maranam and Dwadasi dahanam is only for blessed persons. Your mother was a blessed no doubt it. I am glad that I could be with her for two days when she was with you but sad that I could not visit her last time when I came to Bangalore due to unavoidable circumstances. Though she is not there , she will be always with you blessing you .May her soul rest in peace

1 person likes this.
  9. seekingbless

seekingbless Platinum IL'ite

dear Satchi,
    I am in awe of your maturity in dealing with your mom's loss. this shows ur great love towards ur mom. The heaven has another angle and the angle will always watch over u.

1 person likes this.
  10. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchi,

My condolences.
    Yes, her suffering is over and she is in a better world with all the near and dear ones who departed earlier. I know it is a big loss to you personally...she is always there in your heart. Memories are there forever.

Syamala

1 person likes this.