1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vibrations

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, May 5, 2014.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

I woke up hearing a vibration in the side table of my bed. Oops! I perhaps kept my morning alarm last night without realizing that the phone was in vibration mode. That didn’t prevent me from waking up to do my Yoga and Pranayama very early in the morning before departing to drive a long distance. The purpose of the trip is to find an apartment for my son to live for the next four years when he moves to do his Ph.D. program. We were all supposed to leave at 7:30 a.m. sharp and normally the responsibility to wake everyone up is always mine. We left home at 7:35 a.m. and within an hour, I noticed that my wife and mother-in-law were sleeping, my son was with his headset listening to the rock in his iPod, leaving me to go into deep thoughts. Everything was an auto-pilot mode, my hands tightly gripping the steering wheel, my eyes focused on the road and my car on cruise control. However, my mind wandered into a territory that I had never visited before.

Speaking of vibration, I could recall that Vedas that are known as captured by various rishis are actually vibrations resulting out of breath of the Brahman. It provides the ultimate knowledge for salvation. Both Jnanam and Vigjanam accept that the sound is created from vibrations. Similarly both accept that even though names and forms are different created by many elements, at the subatomic level, they are all one and the same. They get the energy to create, sustain and destroy from vibrations.

In almost all religions, the followers are encouraged to recite the teachings loudly whether they are alone or in the company of others. What is the purpose of such sound advice? It is definitely to create positive vibration around. Vedas suggest performing Yagnas to please the pancha budhas known as ether, air, fire, water and earth and various other divine resources. Fire purifies everything and gets them to their final form. Do Vedas promote dualism by indicating that there is more than one supreme power in the world? Of course, not. Everywhere else, Sruthi appears to lead us towards one Divine Force. Apparently, the intent of Yagnas is for the humans to please the natural resources so that they would reciprocate with kindness to help the humans and animals. Moreover, thinking of holy teachings, chanting them verbally and performing Yagna would unify thoughts, words and actions and create a positive vibration.

Vibrations once created would remain intact and never recede. When Rishis captured such vibrations of Veda, they always advised to chant them by learning them verbally as they are not definable in any language including Sanskrit. The intonations of Vedas are very unique and they can’t be subjected to the linguistic limitations. One has to capture such vibrations accurately and learn to recite them accurately as well. These vibrations would activate several nadis inside of each one who recites as well as those who listen creating a very positive impact for everyone around. That is the reason why we feel very good vibrations when we enter holy places or other houses where chants are regularly recited.

Raja Yoga is a perfect example of how through breath control and vibrations inside of us, we can regulate our lives. Breath obviously creates vibrations inside of us. It affects both Sthoola (body) and Sushuma Sareera (mind) significantly. When we chant Pranava Manthra, it is suggested that the sound “A” should originate from the gut, the sound “U” should originate from the throat and the sound “M” should originate from the tongue to create the right vibration in the navel, pelvis & legs, chest & throat and finally the head respectively. By creating the right vibration inside of us, we can create, sustain and destroy. Energy we need for all these actions are abundant around us. If we learn to get the right vibrations, we can tune ourselves to the vibrations of the Universal Absolute. Vibrations can help us develop manobhava that could eliminate our limitations of operating with time and space. Vibrations created remain forever and that is how the universe is created.

15 people like this.

2. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Viswa, your blogs reminds me of the mimamsa philosophers of yore who through an utterly irrational manner came to the rational conclusion that there is no God. They started with the premise that Vedas are eternal and therefore had no authors. Next inference out of thiat since vedas existed in the world the world was also eternal and had no creator! Deducing like this they concluded that the evidence for existence of God was inadequate for anyone to believe in a Supreme Being.

But then vedas are about God right? Here they resolved the contradiction in two different ways. one section of mimamsakas held that the deities in Vedas are not objects of worship as they could be controlled by the spell of vedic vibrations. The more radical of this school went to conclude that even the gods mentioned in Vedas didn't ex ist. Thus Indra, Varuna etc are mere words and true power lay in the words of vedas themselves and not in any God.The vibration of vedas for them was everything. To put it in a very biblical manner, Not only in the beginning but there was always the word and therefore God is irrelevant.

While I don't subscribe to their reasoning, i think they hit the bull's eyue with their conclusion

1 person likes this.
  3. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswamitra,
    A great article on vibrations,better to be experienced than explained.
    The Hindus have discovered and perfected many mystic paths and have in their armoury many fine instruments, the simplest, the most dramatic and the most miraculous is provided by 'AUM
    .The sound soars upwards transcending all all material obstacles whose form and substance wither away on its approach.
    If the human voice reproduces aloud the sounds A, U and M in that order,giving full scope to the mechanism of the ' sound box,the result is a magnificent,all powerful out pouring ,that creates a mystical feeling of exaltation, not different from deep breathing exercise. That is perhaps the reason for it being known as PRANAVA.

Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

Dear Balajee,

The Veda Madham has fourteen scriptures that can be classified into a) four Vedas, b) six Vedandas, c) four Veda Upangam. Mimamsa, Niyaya, Purana and Dharma Sastra are classifed as Upangam.

Mimamsa is classified further into two namely Purva Mimasa and Uttara Mimasa. Among the two Purva Mimasa is considered prominent. Even though it promoted all the divine principles explained in Veda including performing yagnas and other Karmas, it didn't believe in Universal Absolute and His/Her governance.

Even today, Mimasa interpretation of Veda is widely respected and that is the reason why it still find a place as a part of major scriptures. For example, the above quote "that Vedas are eternal and therefore had no authors" is absolutely a correct statement. In fact, Veda is described as the vibrations created from exhalation of the Universal Absolute. It is correct to say Veda has no authors and they are known in various Rishis' name because they are the ones who have aligned themselves to that vibration, captured them and announced them to the world.

Mimasa believes in Karma theory and believes that our own actions are responsible for the consequences (Cause and Effect theory). During Adi Sankara days, Mimasa is one of the prominent religion by itself and it is known that Adi Sankara entered into debate with Mimasa to disprove them.

It is true that devas, humans and animals are governed by the principles of Veda but that doesn't still explain who created Vedas. They are not written codes like what we see in Acts enacted nowadays and they are vibrations defining the principles of right living. If this is correct, then someone should be responsible for governing the right and wrong actions performed in the world. That part is left wide open unexplained by Mimasa which I believe is the reason why theory of existence of God prevailed.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Dear Mrs. Jayasala:

Thank you for your response to this post. I totally agree with you that it has to be experienced more than explained. In "Deivathin Kural", Paramacharya describes Pranava as consisting of three sounds as "Aa", "Oo" and "Maa" representing creation, sustenance and destruction (Satwic,Rajasic and Tamosic). I have also read in another book that Pranava is the only thing that can be chanted by anyone including ones who are verbally challenged. HAMSA (breathing) and PRANAVA together communicates the principles of life. We make the sound "HAM" while exhaling and "SO" when we are inhaling meaning "I am He". In PRANAVA, we transcend the three gunas and become the fourth.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  6. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Vishwa,
    Very informative article about the power of vibrations.
    The importance of correct pronounciations and tones while reciting mantras cannot be stressed enough. That is why purists insist mantras need to be learnt by the ear ( by upadesam) and not from a book ,asyou have indicated. Wrong intonation can lead to unintended results. Infact, in many poojas, there is a rider-mantra , a kshamapana , added on to apologise for wrong recital !
    Sometimes when I hear popular mantras, read out from tamil script that lacks ga, Kha, ksha etc, i cringe. Its like turning Venkatachala Pathi into Venkatajala pathi , the mountain becoming water !

The fact that certain vibrations cause certain results is best demonstarated by the " power" attributed to certain sounds, sans regular meaning, called Bheeja Mantras ( hrum, krim , gum, etc) .

Maharishi Mahesh Yogi had a discipline called Vedic Vibrations, with certain beneficial sound waves used for healing physical ailments. It worked on the principe that certain waves of certain sounds harmonise disorder or " chaos" at cellular level, bringing Order .
    (Very recently our RGS had written about the refreshing effect of drum beats. )

When doing sudharshana-kriya or any other formalised breathing techniques, the most rejuvenating is The Bhramari ( bee-buzz) , filling the head with the vibrations of a long drawn out sound "Mmmmmm" , the ending of AUM. It sharpens the mind.

The origin of Many-ness from the single undifferentiated Supremeconsciousness is said to be The will or desire, manifesting as a Spanda ( vibration) causing Nada which then progresses along Bindu and Kalaa....etc. The names Siva,shakthi etc were just nomenclature to differentiate such states. As such, a God in the traditionally accepted sense of a Being, seems just a concept to provide a focal point . When phenomena regulate themselves, there should ideally be no extra agency to over see such regulation . The deeper one goes into Tripura Rahasya, the more convinced one becomes that " God" is only a symbol invented for instructional convenience.

3 people like this.
  7. Viswamitra

Dear Manju,

You made this post richer by your wonderful feedback. Sravanam, as you said rightly, is the only way to learn Vedas. We all know that famous story of a Raja asking a Varam for his son to kill Indra and ended up asking "his son to be killed by Indra" because of wrong intonation. It is so funny the way you said about seven hills becoming water through pronunciation of the Lord Venkateswara as "Venkatajalapathi".

I have experienced Vedic Vibrations by listening to the chants of Rudram in "Adi Rudra Maha Yagna" conducted in Chennai a few years back. I could not be physically there but enjoyed watching the video. I have also watched a video where the fire stood straight to accept the sacrifices which was a hair-raising experience. Aumkar when properly chanted creates clear vibration and I understand and feel the sound of "MMMMM" in my head everyday after Yoga and Pranayama.It definitely makes my mind sharp all day.

Your last paragraph was very interesting to read. Recently, I had a chance to read "Einstein's Enigma" a pure fiction. But that book had so many real scientific developments as part of the fiction. Iran gets hold of a coded message that changes the world and the Western world is trying to capture it back from them. Many scientists were trying to develop mathematical formula in Fourier language to define how the universe functions. The conclusion in this book is very similar to what you explained in the last paragraph. When scientists were breaking the head about what is the point in the universe being created and destroyed repetitively, they came to the conclusion that when the universe regulates itself in terms of creation, sustenance and destruction, there is no need for supervisory roles anymore. May be the creation would get to a stage to self-regulate itself and that is the intent of the Creator.

Probably living beings need to be responsible to get to that stage. There could be colonies already self regulated elsewhere.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  8. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa Sir,

Thanks for sharing a very informative post on sound vibrations.

I have always felt the good vibrations after entering a temple. I haven't felt as peaceful and content as that anywhere else and have even wondered, what it would be like to stay inside all the time, in such a blissful place.

Also, on hearing the word 'vibrations', I am reminded of the vibrations that one's thoughts can create(and impact others too). What are those vibrations? if time permits, can you share more on that please?

1 person likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Dear Navs,

Thank you for responding to this post. I understand exactly how you feel when you visit temples as I have experienced the same. At a very young age, I visited Vivekananda Rock in Kanyakumari and sat very quietly in the meditation room located there. Other than the sound of the waves, I could not hear anything else. For about 10 minutes, I lost myself and was in total bliss. I have never felt that before or after that incident.

I have written many threads in Good to write section as well as in my private blog in my name "Viswamitra" about the mind. When you get a chance, kindly read them and give your comments.

Thoughts create a very powerful vibration in the world. You may be aware that our body operates based on vibration including communication from the brain to various organs. But positive thinking by the entire society can change the environment for good for everyone. Dr. Hawkins measured the consciousness in a scale of 1,000 and found that the world at present operates around 200. When it reaches the level of 500, the whole world will operate out of love for each other. Frankly, I am a big believer that the condition of the world is directly proportional to the thoughts of all human beings together. Other than human beings, all other species operates purely based on dharma. Once 7 billion human beings begin promoting positive thoughts, the world will remain in a golden age permanently.

I will certainly write another thread about how vibration of our thoughts can influence the world. Thank you for encouraging me to write about this subject.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  10. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Wonderful response, Manju.
    As many people do not get exact pronunciation , they started composing slokas and stotras which lay stress on intention and not exact sounds.
    People who are born deaf and dumb are able to neither hear nor reproduce. They have a separate sign language which has its own vibrations.In fact silence has more vibrations than sound itself.
    Devanagari Lipi is totally different and Tamil language is entirely different with its grammatical structure.
    While dealing with oneness of thought we lay focus not on pronunciation or meaning but something else.
    Everyone would have heard that Narayana Bhattathri who composed Narayaneeyam was very much elated about his Sanskrit knowledge and condemned Poonthanam who composed a work in Malayalam. It is stated that Guruvayurappan appeared in Bhattahthri's dream and stated that he liked Poonthanam's Bhakthi better than the Vibhakthi( grammar) of Narayana Bhattathri.
    Once the goal is achieved we need no language, no icon as Manju has said that everything will be of structural convenience only.
    But 99 % of the people are in primitive stage and they need a backdrop of temple, statues, mantras, tantras and slokas.
    It is of interest to know that one Mr. Sundararajan, Professor of Sanskrit who is also adept in Tamil has presented a voluminous article on AUM justifying that the word AUM is essentially a Tamil word , attributing so many rules and regulations from both Sanskrit and Tamil Grammar Texts.Other Sanskrit scholars like Prof Srinivasa Raghavan of Vivekananda College, Prof G. S. Sampath Iyengar and V. G. Ramachandran have supported the theory.
    On analysing all those articles of great scholars, we have come to a definite conclusion that better we concentrate on the essential vibration and not on the linguistic aspect of AUM or any mantra for that matter.

The more we read the more we know what we really don't know.

Fruitful discussion.

Jayasala 42