1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

We have exercised our franchise!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Apr 24, 2014.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Franchise is a privilege bestowed even to the poorest of poor citizen of this country in our constitution. We always use this privilege and never let it go waste.

I finished all the domestic chores including cooking and departed to the polling booth around 8.15 in the morning. I was afraid that we had to wait in the queue for a long time and so finished cooking. But we didn't have to wait for a long time. There were only 5 or 6 waiting before us and so we finished our task within 15/20 minutes.

During the first general election I was a teen ager. I could not vote in the 2nd and 3rd election also. From the third election only I was regular in exercising my franchise. In the last election I was at US and so I could not vote.

In all the past elections the candidates were only used to talk on their election manifesto and were not indulging in so much personal attack. This was the worst election in which candidates are using abusive language, and allegations and counter allegations are fired at each other. It is very sad to see people stooping to such low level and abusing each other.

This time it was a relief to see that the election commission has introduced NOTA.

How many of you exercised your franchise and how many had to slip the opportunity due to unforeseen events?

There was a complaint that MNCs had not declared a holiday to the employees even though they were asked to comply.

2 people like this.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Mrs. Srinivasan:

Congratulations on participating in the general election and making your voice heard in determining the future of the country. Anytime, when the voting is less than 70%, I feel bad as most are not even exercising their privilege. This in my opinion is a very important responsibility of every citizen besides civil obedience.

Political parties irrespective of whether they come to power or not have also an important responsibility to govern. We tend to believe that only the elected government is responsible to govern. Even an opposition leader has an important responsibility in agreeing or disagreeing with the decisions take by the government and hence has an important role in governing.

Attitude and ability to govern, clean hands, growth focus, human resource development instead of welfare, understanding and acceptance of global evolution, ability to defend the nation, infrastructure development, secular credentials, uplifting the per capita income, stabilizing the value of rupee, good foreign relationship policy, smaller government, balanced budget resulting in surplus, debt free governance, etc. are very important. Anyone who is coming to power should focus at least on a few, if not all.

Viswa

3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    Thanks for your fb in which you had given your candid opinion on good governance. As you have said the opposition parties also has their share in good governance. Their unruly behavior in parliament and wasting precious time by obstructing the session every time really disgusting. Public money is wasted like this.
    We have to wait for the result till 16th May.
    PS