1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Catch a rat and have Beer on the house

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Apr 23, 2014.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

CATCH A RAT AND HAVE BEER ON THE HOUSE.
    Bring dead rat-get free Beer screams an announcement by the university of Wellington in Newzealand-an attractive scheme on offer to their students[TOI 23-4-2014]The university provides the traps to the students and they can exchange dead rats for a beer voucher.Rats in Newzealand according to reports have become a menace , not allowing other indigenous species to survive.They eat away lizards.climb the trees and eat away birds eggs etc.New Zealand has developed a good trapping system for use in parks and other public places and the offer is for trapping the rats in the back yards of houses.Here is a wonderful opportunity for Irulas[tribal community of the Nilgris],three million of them to offer their expertise in catching rats.The additional advantage is easy disposal of the rats caught as Irulas are known for their delicacies including tandoor and make a hearty meal[[for greater enlightenment-view Irula rat catching video for world bank and those with stout hearts-view Filming Henry Rollins and the Irula tribe for National Geographic channel.] Landing thousands of Irulas in Newzealand is a wonderful opportunity for Narendra Modi to showcase his development model and greatly reduce the current account deficit.Mathematical solutions can be taught in IIMs to improve the cost benefit ratio.Ratology will become a sought after course after Irulas success in Newzealand as rats also may be emigrating to other countries to prove Darwins theory.Some research on the species has thrown out some interesting facts.
    There are more than a dozen varieties and is one of the greatest contributions of Europe in the 12[SUP]th[/SUP] century..They have a lifespan of two to three years.They are nocturnal and colour blind.Their poor eyesight is more than made up by their excellent sense of hearing,smell,touch and taste.They have a wide choice of food including copper,Aluminium and uncured concrete.They are averse to the odour of pepper,peppermint and ammonia.A group of rats is surprisingly called MISCHIEF.
    I cant understand why lord Ganesha has made the rat as vehicle.One explanation is that the mouse has a large heart and therefore can carry the great weight of Lord Ganesha.Karimata temple in Bikaner,Rajasthan is dedicated to revering the rats and giving protection to the species.A personal visit to the temple is however scary.
    In our country rats have free access all over the place including ICUS-A case of nibbling lips and ears of a paralytic patient in sleep was reported.I have had personal encounters with rats and bandicoots some with success and some scary.
    What humans can learn from rats is that they are social and affectionate animals.They love company of their own and human beings.They are caring and tend to the sick.The sayings-1.I smell a rat 2He is a rat in human form 3.I am not in the rat race 4.Dont squeal on your friends like a rat etc are thoroughly unjustified even though occasionally,they eat up your tv cable before an Ipl match or cause a short circuit resulting in express evacuation of the house.

7 people like this.

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Lakshminarayan,

I was amazed at your rat race-duly hitting your nails on current account deficit and a positive solution dealing with the same.
    (Landing thousands of Irulas in Newzealand is a wonderful opportunity for Narendra Modi to showcase his development model and greatly reduce the current account deficit.Mathematical solutions can be taught in IIMs to improve the cost benefit ratio.Ratology will become a sought after course after Irulas success in Newzealand as rats also may be emigrating to other countries to prove Darwins theory.Some research on the species has thrown out some interesting facts.)

There is no wonder that Newzealand Govt announced a bottle of beer to rat catchers.
    people suffering from rat menace will be even prepared to bequeathe a portion of their estate if they want to be from Rat menace.
    In 2012 we had been to California to of some help to our daughter-in-law , who delivered her second son.As it was a caesearian section she had to be all the more careful.
    The mother and child were brought home safe.After 2 or three days , as I was preparing garlic rasam for her, I wanted to throw the garlic skins into the garbage bin. Suddenly I saw two sparkling eyes into the bin, I immediately shut the bin and continued my work. When I informed of this new visitor to my DIl she became scared and had a doubt that it may be hiding behind the kitchen cabinets through the kitchen platform.
    She was right. When I removed all the trays one by one, I saw lot of rat poops in all the trays, but not a single mouse to be seen.
    My son brought some 6 mouse traps, pasty type, placed them in all the probable places like garage, pantry, fruit tray etc etc.
    Next morning 3 mouses were caught.In a particular tray the tail alone was sticking to the trap and the entire mouse was struggling to come out.My son, my husband were not prepared to see the site. I removed the mice and arranged for their final journey.
    Throughout our visit one of my daily routine was the rat race. Pest controllers and other technicians were of no avail notwithstanding spending of hundreds of dollars. Metal nets were placed near all possible areas.
    Just as cricket score , I have placed samathi to nearly 80 mice during our stay. My grandson wanted me to satay there permanently, to catch the mice. 'He knew how to 'crow catch ' me so that I may ' rat catch'.
    We bought two airtight garbage cans to be placed outside.
    My daughter-in-law screamed once as she saw a mouse underneath the baby car seat.

At last they had to examine all the drain lines at a cost of a few thousand dollars and located a small hole of 3cm diameter inside the toilet outlet in the master bedroom of the house and the problem was finally solved.
    It is a great nuisance to set the sticky traps, untouched by our fingers and perform a preta snaanam daily, my 7 year old grandson preparing a scoreboard in his blackboard.

I prayed Lord Vinayaka to transform all the mice in my son's home into his vahanas, but my prayers fell into his big deaf ears.My daughter-in-law made a prarthana for making 108 kozhakattais to annihilate the mice. But Ganesha was so sympathetic towards his vahan, he never heeded to our prayers.Ultimately Ganesha agreed to look into my case pathetically only the previous day we left for India.

My grandson asked humorously to check into all my boxes whether any mouse was hiding inside. " By now they would have realised that patti is capable of sending them to heaven."
    he remarked.
    It is said that Kroncha , a beautiful divine form was so boastful of his beauty and pressed the leg og of Vamadeva who converted Kroncha into a big rat. But Ganapathy, later converted him into a mouse and accepted him as vahana. The little mouse found pressed by the heavy pot bellied Ganesa, regretted for insulting the sage. Therafter Ganesa agreed for a deal that he will become too light for the mouse to carry him, when He alights the vahana.

Jayasala 42

5 people like this.
  3. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Jayasala,
    Thanks for enlightening me on how Ganesha accepted the mouse as his vahana.I am surprised at the rat and paati game in California.As americans always boast of family size packages the rats must also have been of a size commensurate with the American affluence.
    Thanks and regards
    Lakshiminarayanan

1 person likes this.
  4. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

LN sir..
    this was a major study of rat-o-logy with Jayasala's input we can actually publish a research paper on rats!!
    though I love all living beings cockroaches / flies and rats do repulse me.. but I've also discovered that when work is a bit slow at office as in the last few days.. I do tend to sit out at the terrace and its really fascinating to watch this bandicoot slipn in and out of his hole keeping very busy..good time pass..
    enjoyed reading tc
    kerman

1 person likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear LN Sir,

You brought my young age memories of reading Pied Piper of Hamelin. One beer for every rate appears to be a high ratio perhaps because the rat menace is very high in New Zealand. Everyone says New Zealand is one of the best place to live and perhaps rats population is a proof of that. Of course, Irulas could convert the New Zealander's into rat meat seekers which is the natural way to reduce the population of rats.

There is one more thing the Government of India could do to help New Zelanders. Their Food Corporation of India waste a lot of food every year by not having enough space to store. They waste tons of food every year but definitely don't care to share it with those who don't have an opportunity to have more than one meal a day. They could perhaps ask New Zealand to store them which might bring all rats to one spot letting Irulas to catch all of them in one place.

Viswa

6. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Kerman for your fascination with the much misunderstood creature.Their sociability and concern for the sick is a lesson on practising healthy human relations.I have also watched rats running on the cable wire at a height of ten feet-an athletic marvel..
    Regards
    Lakshiminarayan

7. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa,
    Your suggestion of offering rotting food grains bait to catch rats is a wonderful idea.However we don't want Newzealanders to catch the technique as this will result in loss of potential job outsourcing opportunities for the poor Irulas.Americans contributed cockroaches and beuropeans rats to the world whereas we brought home the value of zero to the world.Afterall we can also rejoice at our achievement.
    Regards
    Lakshiminarayanan

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear LN,

HAHA.You beat me to a great story, i was busy yesterday, so could not write a blog on thursday, as monday and thursday are my days to post and i was mulling over this story..But u have done a great job, could not stop laughing at the idioms and sayings at the end, and that they ahre friendly chaops eh ! HAHA

Super one.

Regards

kamal

9. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,
    To be honest I had done lot of research on rats after reading a news item on a rat being part of the food served in a Lucknow festival.I was postponingwriting the article out of sheer laziness when the current Newzealand item appeared and I lost no time.One thing I have understood is that no creature is completely good or bad including human beings.Take good care of your health.
    Regards
    Lakshiminarayanan