1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Its time to say good bye to my PC which served me more than 10 years

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Apr 20, 2014.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Reading the tittle you all might think I am going to stop using Computer and will be away from all of you. How can I spend my free time without PC my good friend . I am a proud owner of a Laptop and Tablet gifted by my son and trying to learn how to use it. I know to use Laptop but not so much comfortable with it like my PC. I have been using it since 10 years after my retirement. Though it has given me problems but still I like it very much and dont like to give away. But cant keep everything and my PC is also getting old like me and so many problems are there.

Since I have been working as a Typist first , then a Steno my fingers dance fast on the keyboard as I have no patience. But the Tablet and Laptop need a gentle touch. Hope I get used to them. First I thought I will type this snippet from the Tablet, but I have to get used to it. Till I get used I have to trouble my children, when they were young I used to teach them, now its their turn to teach me modern technology. I had taught them patiently and I am sure they will also bear me with all the doubts I ask them. Thanks to them that I learnt operating PC and also thanks to my Office because I started using PC there only for doing Bank Reconciliation and the other things like chatting etc. learnt from my children

3 people like this.

2. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

I am proud of you Aunty. In spite of my repeated compulsions, my dad who is in his early sixties, is not able to learn using Computers. He is a retired school teacher. A Phd holder in Economics. He retired ten years ago. But, he got a fear of learning new things. Not only him, many old relatives of me in his age group are not able to learn computers.

Your enthusiasm to learn new things in your age is amazing !

1 person likes this.
  3. iyerviji

Thanks Darmesh dear for your superfast fb and your sweet message. Its all in eachone's interest. My husband also is not interested in learning computers but he is busy doing social work and an active member of a Samithi who go and help when someone expires. So he does more punya than me and being his wife Ialso get some punya which is more necessary .

4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Fantastic news Vijima. While a desktop is useful and more sturdy, a laptop has many advantages. If I had to work at a desktop, I would not have been online, since I cannot sit for too long. I love my lappie which occupies its rightful place - my lap while I sit propped up against pillows. This way one can be online for longer without straining back, knees etc.

Vijima, for people like you and me who prefer typing fast on our keyboards, the tablet is not so suitable for typing. That is why I hate whatsapp and SMSing. I have a fat finger problem. Tablets are alright for lying down and browsing, listening to music, watching youtube etc. If you want to type - the laptop always.

Am really delighted that you are going to get exposed to more gadgets and technology. Enjoy! :-D

1 person likes this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Hearty Congratulations on your new toys aunty! I am sure you will have fun. While I like the gadgets, what I dislike the most is the auto correct - I scream and tell my gadgets I knwo what I want to express. Like they listen! Just for that reason, I will stick to a key board. I have no doubt you will begin to enjoy your laptop and tablet. Have fun!

2 people like this.
  6. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Since I don't know typing, it takes a longer time to type long messages. Whenever my children come, they don't even come near PC and they won't teach me also.

Naame vizhunthu purandu therinthukolla vendiyathu thaan.

These gadgets are both a boon and bane. Though a time passing companion, sometimes it takes our time especially on festive occasions.After 3 or 4 days, inbox will be crowded with messages of deletable and nondeletable category.On many occasions for reducing the scarry number, we delete and then repent.

People( other than professionals) who work for more than 7 hrs on PC are branded 'addicts'.
    Not only alcoholism, any addiction is bad.

It starts as a hobby,makes us a little confident,appears to make us a little proud of apparent knowledge in current affairs,raises our head a little,appears to sharpen our brains , if we have any,slowly eats into our precious time like pests .

I used to wonder if at all we we gain any WORTHY Knowledge other than heaps of information.When we go a step further, it may be clear that we are are amidst a garbage of information which can never be converted into so called real WISDOM.

It is just like taking pearl out of the ocean.
    Whenever I try to make a search for doing research on any subject either on mythology, banking, money, economics or politics - the search is endless and I get frustrated to the core.
    50 ரூபாய்க்குக் கீரை வாங்கி ,வேர் புல் களைந்து,மண் போக மூன்று முறை அலசி பெரிய குண்டானில் பக்குவமாக சமைத்தால் கிடைப்பது ஒரு குட்டிக் கிண்ணம் மசியல். ஆளுக்கு ஒரு கரண்டி அம்ருதம்.
    அறிஞர்கள் தாங்கள் படித்த ஆயிரக் கணக்கான நூல்களைக் கடைந்தெடுத்து கொஞ்சமாக ,சத்தானதாக வழங்கினால்தான் செரிக்க இயலும்.
    கணணி யுகத்தில் இணைய தளத்தில் ஏராளமான செய்திகள் உள்ளன .

We have information in plenty.In no time we can become storehouse of information.In our busy world we have time only to gather information. We can neither absorb nor assimilate and transform the same into knowledge.Not to talk of the next step of wisdom and enlightenment.( It is a known fact that real enlightenment does not require any study)
    There are more keerai vendors. Unfortunately there are very few cooks .
    There was only one Lord Krishna and only one Thiruvalluvar to bless us with Gita and Kural,both being the essence of life.

I think any lust is bad, even a lust for becoming a vast store house of information.
    Do you agree friends?

Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viji madam,
    Enjoy your new laptop. You can sit anywhere and browse or type or anything on it. You would get used to typing on Laptop also in no time. A few days it would take.
    Syamala

1 person likes this.
  8. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Have fun with the new toys !
    Best wishes.

1 person likes this.
  9. iyerviji

Satchi dear ya I know how you love your lappie. This brought me memory of your typing in it even when you were in hospital. True I am using my tablet only to read and to type better to use laptop. Getting used to the laptop. Have to learn so much about Tablet too. Now still using my computer , till my net is there in that. Thanks for being happy for me dear

1 person likes this.
  10. iyerviji

Thanks Sabita dear. Getting used to them slowly.