1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

LOVE is ........

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Manjureddy, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Having reminisced recently about Archie of my girlhood days , I lingered in that segment of my past a bit longer to mine other incidental memories . Of other collections : Greeting cards , old coins , scented vinyl erasers , fancy hairclips .
    And pocket books.

One cherished possession was a squat little book with laminated cover. A compendium of the ( then) popular comic strip , " Love is......" by Kim Casali . It featured two lovable characters , a freckled boy and a long haired girl, drawn in the minimalist style. Each page contained one profound statement about, what else, Love.

Love is........being able to say you are sorry
    Love is........sharing the last lick of the icecream
    Love is.........a game with all winners
    Love is.........your gift to each other
    Love is.........living in the Present

And so on .

All very cutesie -cutesie, very apt for autograph books and gift tags. It was not just about romantic love. It encompassed LOVE in all its avatars.

Now upon recall, the comic strip duo assumed the character of Realised Seers. Their "Love is..." aphorisms seemed like homeopathic- pill versions of vedantha. Buried somewhere within all that syrupy mush were hard little gems of Truth . About ourselves . About Love .

For three whole days I kept thinking of the two characters.
    And of Love. The many splendoured , much used, more abused , little honoured, less understood LOVE.

The everloving comicbook couple made life look so easy and beautiful. All you had to do was Love . And life would be a symphony.
    Simplicity !

From that launching pad, one just had to lean towards eastern mysticism to land on the ultimate bullseye " Anbe Sivam "
    Love is.......Sivam ......is brahman.

Love is.......enough. Need nothing else . There IS nothing else.

Isnt that what everyone , from the 1st. Century Reformist Philosopher to the corner house maami , is heard professing ?
    Just LOVE ! - In noun form, verb form and idiomatic form ; and, keeping with the times, in emoticon form too - Just a spoonful of LOVE to keep the world waltzing to symphonies !

It was a momentous dawning. The cheerful holiday mood of Good Friday swelled, without any difficulty at all, into an expansive spirit of overflowing, universal LOVE.

Even steel cylinders burst if overloaded. A leatherbag like me cant hope to be tougher. Venting became imperative.

Singing "I Love You " to the usual suspects would've done no justice to the exhilaration of the moment . I felt I had to flow beyond the selfish confines of close relatives towards those whom I have known, but now neglected and forgotten.........can I not bring a little cheer to such a soul with a simple phone call, a little loving small-talk, an empatheic ear, just an earnest 'how are you......'

I perused my old phonebook and made a shortlist of four names , the day's quota of donees-to-be of my freshly excavated philanthropy. All seniorcitizens.

Mrs.L , widow of a third cousin , who somehow disappeared from our radar after the gentleman passed away five or six years ago.

Sri.B , from the outermost of the 7 orbital rings of kinship ,who has never been in convivial touch with any of us because of a historic cat fight among the females of a distant common ancestor's family.

Smt. and Sri. G, who are my husband's.........well, the Indlish label " Far Relations " will suffice.

Kum. S, spinster and general purpose Aunt of some description ,on my mother's side , who appeared like a genie to help in any fix that required an extra hand , but became invisible rest of the time.

Blood ties with all above are routinely acknowledged with nods and small talk during clan weddings and documented in group photos. Not a whisper beyond that. Shame.

Brimming with enthusiam and uncontainable Love, i dialled the first name,Mrs.L.

" Hullo - who?-oh manjula-how-nice!-look-if-this-is-about-LKGAdmission-sorry-school-does-not-entertain-recommendation/donations-am-busy-will-call-evening-no-offense-ok-bye-click." And she's only in Accounts department.

Alright, Sri B then.

A 76 year old man with a recent angioplasty could hardly be busy with anything except wallowing in selfpity that no one has the time for him . 'Here I come with all the TLC you will ever need, Sri B !'
    Six long rings later, he picked up the phone : " Hullo, who is that ? Who ? I see, from where? What...WHAT happened ? ! WHO..."
    Dousing his alarm with the reassurance that no one had died, I endeavoured to make him feel comfortable and loved with a string of kind enquiries .
    I have no idea if angioplasty affects vocal chords, but, after that initial paroxysm, his voice settled into a rhythm of low, uniform mechanical hiccups and grunts : " yes-yes , no-no , right-right, uh-uh , mm-mm. " which made the background noise all the more audible : High pitched , hysterical dialogues, sobbing and wailing violins of a primetime TV serial about some dysfunctional family in which Sri B was avidly immersed . When , to my query if his NRI daughter was visiting this year, he responded with a " right-right" I concluded my largess was.......not loved.

Check. Proceed.

The phone rang only twice before Smt.G picked it up. The poor dear must be so lonely !
    " Hullo ? Who's calling ? "
    " Its me, Manjula ....yes, you are right, the same ! ...how are you ! Long time no see or hear ! "
    " How nice to hear from you, Manjula ! "
    Filled with a glow of self satisfaction, I launched wholeheartedly into pouring great measures of Kindness and Love into the phone .
    .....Just thought of calling her.... ..how was she keeping ? Hoped she was in good health...how was her son, and his family , in Australia ?......Were the grandkids skyping her regularly ?.... When did she last visit them ? .....Heard she had her kneecap replaced , hoped her movement had improved...did she have regular domestic help and reliable food delivery ? .......whom was she voting for this time ? ...wouldnt a meet up for some chai -pani sometime be wonderful !...

Silence at the other end. Clearly she was overwhelmed .

Love does that to people, they say. Love melts hearts. Love ties tongues. Love chokes throats. Love mists up eyes.......

When , after a longish interval, the line came alive with her voice, it was not to give me updates on family news, but to clear the throat delicately.
    " so, Manjula, " Said the dear lady, "is this about selling me any Insurance policy ? "

I discarded my list , picked up my I-pad and googled Kim Casali.

Love is................Feeling Love and shutting up ?

14 people like this.

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Manjula,
    Your snippet, a very serious one couched in humour touched me.
    Many senior citizens, as you know, do not want to re establish contacts and see everybody with a lens of suspicion. Experience makes them behave so.
    Many , whether enjoy solitude or not, definitely do not want to be troubled even by close kith and kin, not to talk of friends.

I do not know whether is 'vivekam' ( maturity) or Virakthi( desperateness) or a culmination of both, converging at the same point?

Or
    Have they realised the magnitude of Kannadasan's popular song
    " Veedu varai manaivi,
    Veethi varai uravu;
    Kaadu vari pillai,;
    Kadaisi vari yaro?"

Jayasala 42

6 people like this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Ha Manju! Love is indeed feeling love and shutting up. You see I have come to understand that it is with some audacity I assume that when I feel love for others, they are also in a position to receive it. So I have learnt to shut up, let the thoughts pass by enjoying them meanwhile yet picking up the phone after a day or two or a few weeks, to say hello. Then I may not sound so overwhelming to myself. Meanwhile, we can certainly spread that love to the world that is around us. How else do you think my plants receive and give back so much? Speaking of my plants, I did not move some of them back in when we had a freeze warning and bravely covered them up like the way they suggest and now I am shedding tears every day for the torture I have put them through! I am hoping that my tears will water them enough to bring them back to thier earlier state :-(

Anyways, just yesterday night I had some friends over for dinner and as I sat listening to their teenage DD of whom I am extremely fond of and have known for ever, I realized that these kids are growing up too fast, including mine and all anyone can do is simply love them, let them be and go as well and when they turn back, just be there with open arms so that they can come running back if they need to.

Coming back to you, am I to assume that after these three people checked off from your list, you did not venture to call the fourth one? She might indeed be the one who might have most needed to hear your loving voice :hide:

PS: Not fair of you to enter my head and write about the thoughts that are going on in my mind. Or may be it is because of that Archie that we are all thinking of the same thing ;-)

PPS: Just when I think I have all these thoughts, simply thoughts, to share with you, my internet decides to turn off. I hope it is not a sign. Pray, please do tell me that you indeed wanted to hear from me.

5 people like this.
  4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

To all senior citizens like me, a sudden call making solicitous enquiries from a long lost relative will be like a call from a call centre trying to palm off a deposit scheme like 'Deposit one lakh now and start receiving a monthly pension of Rs. 25 K after six months till you die.'
    Jayasala is absolutely right. Suspicion is synonymous with senility. It is the lethal combination of vivekam and virakthi as she puts it!
    Love cannot be dispensed through calls to people who have already developed the 'Leave me alone' attitude.
    Love is just to leave them alone!
    A good one Manju. It made me to ponder over what would be my own attitude if someone from the misty past calls me all of a sudden. I do not think my reaction would be any better than what you have encountered!
    Sri

7 people like this.
  5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Sorry Manjula, but I cannot help :rotfl Enjoyed reading your post as well as all the replies above.

First to the matter of comics. My mother brought up in proper Victorian style saw to it that she passed down the rigours of that upbringing to me. No, I was not allowed to read comics. Amar Chitra Katha did not figure in that list of comics, of course and they were most welcome. I wonder if they knew that comics were an indirect way of passing on some of life's most valuable truths and values to the offspring without making a song and dance about it.

As for the rest of the story, Manju, my heart goes out to you. I know the feeling when one's feelings are not reciprocated and what's worse looked upon with deep suspicion - being surrounded as I am by a lot of senior citizens. The only ones who have any use for me were ones who liked to give me lectures about life - something along the lines of the BBC news bulletin - on the hour, every hour. Of course not, I was not allowed to get a word in sideways, let alone disagree. So my love of that tribe was not allowed to flourish as I would have liked it to.

Talk of the younger generation, they seem to run away from me. Probably I am that senior citizen they would love to avoid. :shock:

So I simply follow a simple rule. Try to trust people to a reasonable extent and "jo bhi pyaar se mila, hum usi ke ho liye". Unfortunately when I do that, there are enough nay sayers around me who disapprove saying that I am too gullible!

One can't win, can one now?

6 people like this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Manju,

How do I feel love? Does it come from the command of my mind or spontaneously? Can I voluntarily enhance or reduce the feeling of love? Is it voluntary or involuntary feeling?

How do I express my love? What is the mode of delivery? Is love felt or received? Is love language of the heart or mind? Do I need mind to love others?

How do I react to the feeling of love? Do I use my intellect to analyze love from fellow beings to determine the seriousness of love? What do I do with currency of love expressed without asking for it?

How do I express love to others? How do I reciprocate love shown by others? Am I obligated to give love in return for love received? Can I give something else instead of love? Do I need to evaluate love received to determine the purpose of such love? Is love conditional or unconditional? Does loving fellow beings mean loving myself?

I could not find the complete answers to any of these questions no matter how much I tried to analyze it. Suddenly, a overwhelming thought came to my mind which kind of deflated the very same mind. Love is the cause of the creation which is much more ancient than the creation itself. Everything happens because of love. Love is the cause of birth (need to fulfill the karma in order to merge with the Universal Absolute), love is the cause of self-preservation (support system to survive and perform duties) and love is the cause of death (as the frame requires recycling).

How can I understand the purpose of something that is the quality of the Creator with what is being created (the mind)? All I can do is to receive, feel and reciprocate unconditionally with no stings attached. My core values are Sathya, Dharma, Shanti, Prema and Ahimsha and I can experience it by dispensing every other layer wrapped around it.

I can't learn to love through the books. I can't interpret love through my intellect. I can't execute love through my actions unless I feel inherent love from inside. If I excavate my core value of love, it flows from the fountain head of the spring without any expectations. It would make no difference how it is being received, reacted and responded.

Viswa

4 people like this.
  7. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Jayasala,

That was a nice summing up of the view from the other side. Its always good to know different aspects, perspectives of a situation. Enriches understanding.

It is difficult to counter virakthi with assurances of love and caring. If bitterness is all that remains after a lifetime of experiences, I dont want to get older !

In my understanding, middle class seniors these days are much less dependent on the younger gen. for anything . Because they have foreseen their future and planned their lives that way. They have educated their children with the goal of settling them in well paying jobs in faraway places , whether within country or in foreign lands. They have invested wisely and saved for their own retirement. They have equipped themselves for a life of non dependance , teaching themselves all the skills necessary for it. They have their own pastimes to keep busy and their own friends circle with whom they are more comfortable. A father, all his life busy building for a future, who had never really shared quality time with his son, is not likely to feel much if the son is also on " hi dad, bye Dad " terms later.

I too know many seniors who are happy to be left alone and voluntarily suggest that the married sons set up independent households. They themselves had nuclear families and wish to maintain their own independence. Which i think is a fine arrangement in these changed times. Not that all love is dead . The friendship and kinship is still there. Only, its not demonstrated with shivaji ganesan songs.

Even in olden days, when seniors took up the prescribed Vansprastham, they were independent of the younger gen.

Thank you , Jayasala

2 people like this.
  8. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Srama,

Lets put it this way. I dint just Need to hear from you, but Willed you to speak to me !
    Its always interesting to read your rejoinders. They are quite literally, a breath of fresh air, because you never forget to bring your beloved trees with you whenever you visit !

Your tears will not go in vain . I hear your plants ,thro telepathy , that they are just waiting for the first sign of good weather to shower you with their love.

I quite agree with that " let them be" philosophy. Love is.....to set them free with the assurance that you are always just there within reach,for them.

Actually I did call the last name on the list( on landline) and had a pleasant enough chat with her for a few minutes before another call ( on her mobile) claimed her ! BTW, she did ask why i had thought of calling her out of the blue . If she suspected i had some hidden agenda, mercifully, she dint express it.

You couldnt have put it better, Srama. It is certainly audacious to assume that the other party would be ready to recieve whenever and whatever we are ready to give.

Thank you, Srama.

1 person likes this.
  9. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

Vivekam and virakthi make a strange couple. How can a viveki still harbour regrets and bitterness ? Virakthi is only one of the reactions to life experiences which we are absolutely free not to choose. A "viveki " is expected to have such discretion to merit that name.

The reaction you narrate in the opening scenario of your post :)is not age specific.
    Senior, Junior, Midlife, everyone is suspicious of calls from unexpected quarters. Suspicion that some favour is expected , that there are hidden Strings and Axes . Such are the Times that people find it hard to believe that anything can be unconditional .( Recall here, the mad ad. of a child escaping his mother's loving embrace because he suspects she is out to steal his candy.....the unkind cut is that she is actually scheming just that ! )

Love is just to leave them alone!

This same sentiment has been shared by Jayasala also. Which leaves me wondering . If this is the predominent mindset , why does the older gen. keep going to the Courts of Gopinath, Visu , Solomon Pappiah et al, and badmouthing their own progeny to the entertainment of the wholeworld, when the younger ones do exactly what the Seniors want : i.e. leave them alone ?

When we encounter exemplary and humane behaviour in young people, we spontaneously remark : " a well brought up person " and the parents , justifiably, take full credit. By the same token, callous behaviour should indicate deficiency in upbringing . Some self examination , is prescribed for the " aggrieved" party.
    ( for supplement, please go through my response to Jayasala .)

I do not think my reaction would be any better than what you have encountered!

Awwww ! I was planning to surprise you with a call on my next visit to Chennai and you drop this confessional bomb !.......Now I am Chicken !

Thank you, Cheeniya.

1 person likes this.
  10. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Satchi

In the "Heart going out" department , i claim two marks more than you ,for my heart went out to you not once but thrice :

Firstly, for having suffered such sorrowful deprivation during childhood. What !No Comics ! Tch tch.

Secondly, for continuing to bear the brunt of information overload from all inhouse BBCservices.( I was not allowed to get a word in sideways, let alone disagree. So my love of that tribe was not allowed to flourish as I would have liked it to.......in spite of shedding buckets of tears over your fate , cant help ROTFL. )

Thirdly, for facing the danger of becoming invisible in the eyes of the younger generation. Oh guardian angels, May such a tragedy never come to pass !

yes, it just wouldnt do to be gullible and yes,too, its a no win- no win situation. Whoever thought a simple thing like Love could be so fraught with befuddlement !

Thank you, Satchi.

2 people like this.