1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

For God's Sake !

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Manjureddy, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Two days before Ram Navami , my kitchen was in furiously multitasking mode to meet a domestic deadline . Beans getting nuked in the microwave . Rasam agitating on the Induction cooktop. Semi Soaked urad dal in dharna inside the mixie . And I , hyperventilating in repressed anxiety over a pot of milk that was just sitting pretty on the gas burner, cool and collected , like a yogi refusing to react to the panchagnis. I watched the pot and it never boiled, thanks to Einstein.

It struck me then how spoilt I have become . After discovering superquick fireless cooking, gas fire seems almost neanderthal . Abominable slow motion. Had I put that milkpot on my heated-up head, it might have come to a boil quicker.....anyway, that being the execrable state of affairs, the last thing I wanted was a posse of donation seekers ringing my bell.

Ding dong !

'When you really want something, the whole universe will conspire to make it happen' . When you really want something not to happen, the whole universe will conspire to make it happen anyway. Paulo Coelho's Cosmic Genie aparently does not distinguish between the 'first thing you want 'and the 'last thing you want' . So , Wisher Beware !

Anyway, this posse of four youngmen , armed with receipt books, pamphlets and huge ingratiating smiles marched upto to my door and rang an insistent bell . Inspite of the smudgy vertical tikkaa on their foreheads , oily hair and talcum powder smell, they were all typical hinterland maratha machos in jeans. Handsome, moustached and twinkle eyed. It wasnt necessary to ask who they were. It was written all over them . On their yellow scarves and kurtas : Orange red "Jai Sri Ram"in devanagari script. They wore their Faith on their sleeve , as armbands with a picture of Ram in neon colours. Not the effeminately graceful Ravi Varma brand Ram with a MonaLisa smile, but a grim, square jawed muscular warrior with flying hair, weilding his WMD bow with belligerent intent.

" Jai Sri Ram, Aunty " said the Forefronter in endearingly accented English. " Please participate in our club's pandal ."
    'How does one " participate " in a temporary structure, short of morphing into a casurina pole ?' I wondered in the background mind, even as my primary mind shrank away from a fat blue receiptbook that materialised in line of direct vision .
    " No donations , sorry " I said , hand ready on the doorhandle.
    (Implied meaning : " Be gone ,boys. I am busy" )

They looked at each other and then at me in a theatrical gesture that made me worry if I had ,by slip of tongue, practised my new German language lessons on them.
    " But Aunty, its for our RamNavami celebrations ! Dont refuse chance for punya, Aunty " (implied meaning : " Refusing to donate for a Religious cause at your age ! What kind of worm are you ? ")

" Look , brothers , I am not that keen on joining Birthday Parties . "
    ( implied meaning : "No sale , bye kiddos !")

" Its for the honour of our street , Aunty. During last Ganpati, the Second Block people got the Best Pandal prize, this time we have to win. "
    " Who has instituted such prizes ? Never heard of it......and since when did Sri Ram start demanding a Pandal for his Birthday ? "
    (implied meaning : " Using God's name to loot people ! Goons! " )

Again, a round of looking at each other and then at me. This time I dint suspect myself of any language gaffes, but suspected that they found my identity suspect.

The portly fellow on the left cleared his throat and asked hesitently " Aunty, You are Reddy-ji's auntie only ,no ? "
    " No, I am not my husband's aunt. But , if you are asking whether I am Mrs.Reddy at all, yes, I assure you , I am the lady of this house and fully empowered to take decisions on allotment of donations, voluntary or involuntary, towards birthday bashes of any celebrity..... Now, I have work to do. If you will please...."
    (Implied meaning : the same . except , the unsaid ending : ' take a hike, you pests. ")

" But Aunty, this is for God ! " proclaimed Pest -In -The -Foreground , a shade too vehemently. " If we are not united in our Religion, We will lose out to Them . "
    " We must be Unity, Auntie ! " declared Pest -On -The -Left , full of zeal. " if we dont keep our ancient traditions, our full Culture only will collapse ! "

My mixie was caking up with halfground urad dal. The beans ,probably getting over scalded ,losing colour. And here they start a socio-political debate without Barkha Dutt.
    I was about to blow my top, when this whispered exchange between Pest No.2 and Pest No. 4 assaulted my ears making them prickle . My ears I mean.
    " Naastik lagti. Nai ? "
    " Intarr -casht bhi hogi , kya pata "
    Instead of blowing my top, I burst out laughing. Much to the alarm of the frustrated foursome.

" No, Son. Mr. Reddy dint marry out of his caste, community, species or religion. I am as much a Hindu as you are, even without that mile-long tikka. I believe in a God who is not defined by calender prints and TV serials. I commune with God the way I want to. Wasting good money on useless pandals, loud speakers and unhygenic peda- prasads in no way upholds our traditions or saves our culture from collapsing. You have no right to demand that I prove my allegience to our religion with identifiable demonstrations of piety like putting on certain costumes, certain body art and doing what you or a majority deem is a proof : Shrines, rituals, chants. If , in your perception, I am a Nastik, so be it. "

I dint say any of this. Instead, implying all this, I merely shook my head left to right , right to left vigourously and shut the door.

I heard them leaving , more angry than disappointed. They did not care to lower their voices as they trooped away.
    "Saudi Arabia mey toh , they will put in jail this kind Atheist people as "Terrorist" . We people toh too much weak hain ."
    " Upper- klass Sudo- sekular kahin ki ! "
    " Nai re. Just kanjoosi ! "

31 people like this.

2. jasmine25

jasmine25 Gold IL'ite

Hi Manju,Enjoyed reading this post.. Amazing narration.. I could very well imagine the entire screenplay in front if my eyes...final touch to your post was hilarious! Even I have faced the same scenario.

3 people like this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

That multitasking mode of your kitchen in agitation, hyper ventilation, bringing in all possible theories for it's performance, yet doing some sort of a dance in trying to whip up what is needed takes the cake Mrs.Reddy! Whether you are sudo-sekular or just kanjoos or whatever else that posse of young men think, what they do not know is what an awesome writer you are! Thanks to them and Jai Sri Ram, we got to enjoy this treat from you not even pausing, wondering about what was finally produced in that kitchen of yours as an actual treat!

I have to be honest, I do miss all that a little bit, a very little bit here, but then I also have begun to enjoy the quietness of the festivals so much so that, I refuse to even go to the temple where it is celebrated with much fanfare. I do wonder if Lord Rama misses all that fanfare and feels lonely in my house but then convince myself perhaps he will enjoy the solitude if he chooses to visit me for a few minutes!

Lovely narration Manju and enjoyed reading the snippet.

4 people like this.
  4. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Hello ManjuReddy,
    You do possess that odd sense of humour that comes out best when you are deprecating yourself a bit. :) Thoroughly enjoyed reading this. Liked your point of view about God and about the pointlessness of all the shows that we see these days.

Thanks. -rgs

2 people like this.
  5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Manju,
    Your snippet took me down the memory lane! When we were at Jamshedpur people used to collect donation for Ganesh puja, Saraswathi puja, Durga puja and Kali puja and they had set an amount for each type of the quarter. Our Tamilians celebrated Sri Ramanavami in a grand manner inviting famous musicians from south.
    I enjoyed the snippet from the start to end.
    PS

2 people like this.
  6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Knock knock Manjuji...errr...bhabiji :)

Ok, please don't throw that rolling pin at me..I am Not asking you to be part of any pandal, pillar,post! Besides, would hate to see our snippet scribe turn into a stiff stamba (pillar)!:eek:mg:

I remember my sis in India dreading the Ganesha Chaturthi as her whole street is turned into an open stage by the 'bhaktas'! The more she refuses to support their cause (should it be their devotion??!!), the more noisier it seems they get, especially around her compound walls!! But she does not care. In the din of the loud music that is blared during the festivities, a little more noise makes no difference is what she says!! She has a point.

Yes, one is held at ransom by these so called dedicated groups, many with one or the other politico supporting them for his/her own selfish cause. But I am glad that the Reddy aunty stood her ground, kanjoosi or not!

We may not have such knocks on the door here if you don't count the occasional Jehovah's Witnesses. Instead, we have the constant ringing of phones till late into the night asking for our pennies (dollars dollars!) for one or the other cause...or asking us to buy their TV services, insurances, health programmes, financial advice and what nots! No escaping....

And, I have no wish to escape your snippets! You go gal!

L, Kamla

4 people like this.
  7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Manju,

You have proved you are the queen of words in your narration of nuked beans, agitated rasam and dharna of urad dhal but comparison of milk with that of a Yogi refusing to react to the panchagnis is stunning! Are you reincarnation of Chandilyan?

Seeking happiness is ordinary but making happiness as part of life is extraordinary. Your sense of humor in describing a normal event that happened at home shows how happily you lead your life. Your habit of thinking, talking, writing and living happy is contagious. Blessed are the souls that live around you. I feel lucky to be reading about your way of leading a happy life hidden behind this wonderful snippet.

I always thought that German language sounds like Sanskrit (the language of Devas) and I never knew there are some words in that language that could be used for situations you have narrated here in your post.

In the words quoted above, you brought both nice looking Ram in Ravi Varma's painting as well as square jawed muscular warrior with flying hair in front of my eyes.
    You brought me pleasant memories of my reading "Chariots of Gods" written by Erich von Dä niken describing that the planet earth was visited by aliens using nuclear warfare in Tretha Yuga and constructing Pyramids in Egypt and Great Wall in China without cranes. I read that book when I was 18 (i.e.42 years back to be precise).

Frankly, I don't really care what those boys thought about you (Kanjoos or Atheist) but we became richer by your incredible post. Sabitha is right that they perhaps didn't know that they would play a role in this wonderful snippet.

I laughed my heart's content after reading this post. You have made my day happier. I have read your late night caramel custard driven philosophy and Rama Navami driven sense of humor. What next? I can't wait.

Viswa

8 people like this.
  8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Manju
    The legendary Chakravakam bird drinks only rain water as it falls from the sky preferring to languish in thirst on the remaining days. I am like the Chakravakam waiting for your Snippet to appear in IL to quench my literary thirst. When I saw your Snippet this morning, my eyes started filling with ‘anandhabashpam’. If chakravakam drinks the rainwater with its open mouth, I drink the beauty of your snippets with my eyes. (I know I am asking for a ‘chella thittu’ once again but I cannot help it!) I am like that Constable Sambandam in Kamal’s Apoorvasagodharargal whose admiration for his boss Inspector Janakaraj knows no bounds. With every move of the Inspector, he gets so thrilled and exclaims ecstatically ‘Engeyooo poitteenga saar’. I wish to say that to you substituting the Saar with Madam.

I should say that your opening para itself in general and the reference to the panchagni defiant yogi were enough to whet my appetite. It is not every day that one comes across a blog opening in such an awesome way. If the population of chakravakams is going to increase in geometric progression, you will be the sole reason for it. Mind you, the script that you have taken, namely that of four young men gate crashing to collect doubloons in the name of a religious festival, is nothing new but it is your treatment of it that makes it awesome. It is like after watching sunrise in a David Lean movie, we start wondering if it is the same sun that we encounter every day. “Not the effeminately graceful Ravi Varma brand Ram with a Mona Lisa smile, but a grim, square jawed muscular warrior with flying hair, wielding his WMD bow with belligerent intent.” Engeyo poitteenga Madam!

The implied meaning in parentheses in the ‘Sonnadhum and Solla marandhadhum’ style kept us glued to the whole narrative. And wherever the implied meaning matched my own reading of the situation, it thrilled me no end! The icing on the cake was your handling of the religious twist in the narration with a firm shake of your head from left to right but the profound import of that momentous head shake as narrated by you as an aside simply floored me. They are all my views too but would I have ever put it so succinctly? I wonder!
    Sri

7 people like this.
  9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Behind all the humour this thread reveals an alarming ytrend: the increasing tendency to turn festivals which have always been private affairs into public spectacles. The Ganapati festival showed the way and now every religious affair is being turned into public tamashas. Point number two:The increasing tendency to shove one's beliefs down others' throat and the growing lack of respect and intolerance for other's viewpoints. We seem to be entering a dark age.

4 people like this.
  10. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

Hi Manjureddy - I am no match to above written so many FBs, but for sure your narration of an ordinary act in such a way made my day. Thanks.

2 people like this.