1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mysterious disappearance

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Last 9 days were so tense and many of us experienced unexplainable discomfort. In the present day and age, how a plane could disappear in thin air without a trace? How is it possible for a plane to go out of radar control at anytime during its flight especially when it is in a flight path surrounded by many countries? It is understandable if the flight is in Pacific Ocean or in another route largely covered with body of water without any land in the near vicinity. This incident has created aviation history for many wrong reasons.

First of all, the transponder in the plane was intentionally switched off by someone who is very familiar with Boeing 777-200. Secondly, the Aircraft Communication Addressing and Reporting System’s (ACARS) data transmission was also switched off. Thirdly, it is now established that the flight took a different direction from its normal flight path which could possibly be due to hijacking or due to one or both the pilots intentionally flying the plane in a route on a suicide mission or to take the plane to a different location. Fourthly, Malaysian military radar identified the plane drifting away from its flight path. Lastly, ACARS was sending signals to a satellite about the health of the engine and it is now clearly established that the aircraft was functioning well nearly seven and half hours after it drifted from its flight path.

All the media reports are summarizing the interviews given by Malaysian government and Malaysian Airline’s officials or the briefing done in a hotel in China to the family members of the passengers of this Malaysian Airlines Flight 370. Investigative journalists are making several theories known to the public including hijacking of the plane to Kazakhstan or remote islands in Indian Ocean or Bay of Bengal. There is a new theory that emerged today that plane might have been hijacked with an intent to hit one of the cities in India. The Indian government strongly responded that it would not be possible for any aircraft to enter the Indian territories without identifying itself. The military radars are in place to detect such intruding aircraft and there is a standard operating procedure to scramble military aircraft to guide the intruder to follow instructions failing which the intruding plane would be shot down.

Indian Ocean, Bay of Bengal and South China Sea are the most watched territories by most satellites in the world and it is not clear how no government has come forward to provide additional information leading up to finding the aircraft. Even Malaysian government was initially reluctant to announce its military radar’s detection of the aircraft drifting away from its standard route because their military capabilities would be known to the rest of the world. Frankly, it took so long for Malaysian government to announce the military radar capturing the aircraft’s deviation from its standard route and it took even longer for them to announce that a person familiar with Boeing 777-200 could only switch off Transponder and ACARS in the aircraft. It took more than 8 days for them to search the houses of the pilots.

[FONT=&quot]Frankly, NTSB, FAA and FBI have the capabilities to expedite this investigation. Similarly, the Chinese government also has capabilities to conduct a thorough investigation into this matter as most passengers in this aircraft were Chinese citizens. Unfortunately, Malaysian government is not sharing enough of its investigation results either with the US or Chinese governments. Even Indian Government suspended its search pending further response from the Malaysian government. It is time for everyone around the world to respond responsibly keeping the number of lives involved in this incident. The families deserve a closure to the agony they are experiencing for the past 9 days. What is the use of advanced information and communication technologies, if they could not help find an aircraft that disappeared without a trace? If missile technologies could strike its targets with precision, it is difficult to digest that so many countries working together could not find this plane for 9 days. It is time for every government to share all information in their possession with intent to find this missing aircraft quickly [/FONT].

36 people like this.

2. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

Surrounding all the mystery is incompetence of MAS and Malaysian government..

Out-right lies, deceits, false pride coming in the way of asking for International help are plaguing this search..

2 people like this.
  3. ananyakiran

ananyakiran Gold IL'ite

Very thought provoking post....thinkingsmiley

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,

This is so very sad. I cannot even imagine the torture the families left behind are going through and I don't even want to imagine. I simply do not have the emotional strength.

[FONT=&amp] "What is the use of advanced information and communication technologies, if they could not help find an aircraft that disappeared without a trace? [/FONT]"....This thought is topmost on all of our minds...........

Very tragic...

L, Kamla

1 person likes this.
  5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I just cannot understand how false pride of any one government can trump the fates of 240 or so people of multiple nationalities. I also don't know if the Pakis can be trusted when they say "Nope, it didn't show up on our radar". That's like them saying "Nope, Osama ain't here" or "Dawood, who Dawood? We don't know a guy like that. He isn't here".

I feel for the families of those onboard. Prayers and positive vibes with them as they go through the toughest phase of their lives. I wonder if there is a paranoid family member like me among them. Even after all the years my DH flies, I still can't sleep thru any of his flights. I track him real time. Earlier it was on the comp. Now thanks to technology it's on my phone. Imagine seeing that blimp on the screen fade away in real time. I can't even think about it. Raises my BP.

5 people like this.
  6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Viswa that security checks at Kuala Lumpur airport are totally lax is shown by the fact that two passangers wmanaged to get on the plane with fake passports. It dawned ion the authorities only after the plane disappeared that they had fake passports. For all you know the plane might be hidden somewhere in the dense fequatorial forests of southeast Asia or Papua New G.uinea. .

1 person likes this.
  7. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Only when something as frustratingly grave as this happens that people wake up to the shortcomings. But really, as you say ,in this day and age, a craft vanishing totally seems so surreal.
    What agony for the relatives.

2 people like this.
  8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Very painful and frustrating indeed!
    Really wish the plane landed somewhere safe and the passengers are returned to their homes.
    They need to bring a closure to this, soon.

9. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Very very painful indeed.It was really touching when one CHINESE sibling said that since his brother's disappearance his father has hardly slept lest he misses out any news about his son.It was really sad to see one more parent howling during a press conference.
    Wonder how with so much technology we are not able to do anything to solve this.Each day when I get up I hope for something positive hope it happens soon.

1 person likes this.
  10. Vemala

Vemala Gold IL'ite

Crisis management ?. Each individual to country need to learn.

Its very scary to know that , there is no backup plan if transponder was switched off or forcibly shutdown?. Some facts are really hidden or not shared by Malay Govt...It may affect their poitical career.

There are many theories about Pilot. But, if you check the past history..He is good n family oriented technical geek...May be false allegations against him...After seeing all these i remembered one Tamil/Telugu movie (kuruthipuna/Drohi) . Kamal is good, but will do bad things for terrorist acts to save the family.

But, We all hope to see the passenger n crew return safely. Om Sai Ram!!!!

3 people like this.