1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

House or home??

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by priya4raj, Mar 14, 2014.

1. priya4raj

priya4raj Silver IL'ite

Where we love is home, Home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts. - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

As life goes, we get bonded or attached with things we come across, apparently or not, and one such thing is the House we live... Be it a house with shaggy walls and leaking roofs, or a palace, a house beautifully transforms into a home, the moment people get associated with it. Just think, this moment, someone may be eating, sleeping, cleaning, dancing, watching t. v, making love, or even praying to have a house for his own, all under their own roofs, called "home".

There live, so many grandfathers and mothers, glued to their houses, despite the desperate calls of their children staying far apart, just because of the fact that their spouse left their last breath within those four walls. They try to resurrect their loving memories that they both have carried. They treasure their houses, immensely, for it has been the root bearer of their generations..

We have come across many aunties, who keep on cleaning their houses, for they strongly believe that God often visits their clean home, and succeed in changing their houses into beautiful divine temples. And for some, the kitchen windows can be a source of confrontation, where they lament their husband's unexplained anger..

There can I point out many Uncles, or fathers, who conceive the plan of their houses, carry then, in their heart and mind, and beautifully give life to their dreams, just with stones and bricks.. The houses stand still with pride, speaking of their hard work, their undaunted desires and more... I have seen many, who evolve into a different, profound look, once they enter their own home. For them, it is a place, where they are themselves, shedding the masks that they carried, outside.. Some where I read somebody saying, "Once I enter my house and lock the door, I feel I am detached completely from the outside world, and I just love it"..

A house becomes a home, if it has love in the air, and if it smells of children.. The walls would be happy to be scribbled by them, the lamps would love to throw light on your marriage photo, and the chime loves to bring in sound of fortune.. I love my home, wherever it was so far, and whichever it is going to be too, and I also believe that my house loves me back too…I say so, because wherever I go, however great it may be, I feel the coziness and comfiness only when I cuddle up with my own pillows in my own bedroom…

There is surely a way to love our home too.. Let's open up the windows, bring in some fresh air and fragrance, light up a lamp and love our home!!

21 people like this.

2. littl

littl Platinum IL'ite

@ OP - Nice post.. And i always say to everyone that my home is my fav't place to Chillout! and i do feel that my home loves/cares me back as i do.
    :thankyou2: for such a lovely post..! :)

3. priya4raj

priya4raj Silver IL'ite

Thank you bro,
    It is a lovely emotion sticking on to me, always.. I don't know why, but i start to love the houses i stay, and they soon become my dear homes, and there are wonderful memories, tagged on to each of them.. thank you for the nice words..

4. ananyakiran

ananyakiran Gold IL'ite

nice post priya :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Priya,

There is no doubt that the comfort of home gives relief for all tension and stress everyone goes through outside in the world. But it is the love at home that makes us feel homely. It is our feelings and emotions that have profound impact in the way we get attached or hostile to a place.

Whether we are in the comfort of our home or out in the world, we are here on earth only for a fixed period of time unknown to us. We need to establish peace and bliss in our heart through love and compassion and learn to forget and forgive hostility. Instead of limiting our attachment to the comfort of home, let us be expansive and learn to make the world comfortable by our presence. Our ultimate goal is to reside in the safety net of the Universal Absolute and become one with One without the second.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  6. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Priya

There is no more comfortable place like home. Where ever I go just 1 or 2 days is fine but the 3rd day I start missing my my home.
    You feel relaxed and tension free in your home. I don't like those AC homes feel like tied up inside them. Yes windows should be open and fresh air dancing around the rooms making you feel happy.
    Once I am inside the house I don't feel like going out love the coziness of my home.:)

4 people like this.
  7. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Priya
    This guy who comes out with such profound quotes about Home should indeed call himself as Oliver Wendell Home and not Holmes unless he happens to be the first cousin of the eminent Sherlock Holmes! Seriously he has made a lot of sense in that quote of his.

You have raised the question, 'House or home?'. It can be answered only by the feeling that it creates in us and not by its shape or size. If you had been out for a few days and want desperately to get back to your place, then it must be undoubtedly your home. That's why we always say, 'Home sweet home' and not 'House sweet house'.

I recall the wonderful movie 'Roman Holiday' starring the vivacious Audrey Hepburn as a Princess of an unspecified country. The Princess totally loathing her existence of being chained to the royal customs and the glittering opulence of her royal life decides to flee and see what the world outside is. Her escapades through the streets of Rome in the company of the handsome reporter Gregory Peck get imprinted in our hearts. The last scene where she is back in her royalty and Gregory Peck back in his profession really touches our hearts. I am mentioning this movie to point out that all the opulence of her palace life could not make it her 'Home' after all. She finds it in the small room which she shares with Gregory.

Nothing brings out the sweetness of home than the sight of children rushing back home from their schools and the homing birds flying across the azure sky for their repose.

A lovely snippet you have written there, Priya. I really love your style!
    Sri

5 people like this.
  8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

HI Priya
    Home is where the heart is...a most often quoted line. But how true.

As Sri sir mentioned above, it is not the size, materials used, location, or any of he material stuff but the people inside that make a house a home.

I always believe that a home is filled with vibrations emanating from the persons living in it. Therefore negative vibes only makes a dwelling unfit to relax. That's why our elders always insisted in having good thoughts, good habits, and being positive.

The above quote is very true. A woman is the center point of a home and it is her attitude that can make a home a warm and comfy or cold and hostile. If women are happy and have a positive approach to life the home is naturally a welcome place.

A good and thoughtful article.

1 person likes this.
  9. priya4raj

priya4raj Silver IL'ite

Thank you ananya, aruna mam, kkrish ji and cheeniya sir..
    sir, i think you can talk about anything under the roof.. for a moment, i confused myself, that i have mistaken the name of the Quoter to be Holmes instead of Holme..thinkingsmiley A you said, the sweetness of a home is brought well by rushing children and for me, a sniffing husband, asking " It smells something special, what is it, that you are making for tea?".. Not only that, I can breathe a moment away, from my pestering cute daughter, but it makes my day complete and the feel is just awesome.. thank you for the motivating words, and the instance from the movie. @viswa sir, I agree with you, Love and compassion begin at home, just as charity, and the lessons we teach our children within the four walls, be it love or hatred, they are going to expand it to the society, just as they learnt from their parents, in a home..

10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Priya,

What a beautiful ode to a "home"! Have personally experienced the difference of living in a "house" which I hated returning to at night as well as the joy of having a home to which I love coming back at the end of each day - and if possible not stepping out of in the first place.

Like Cheeniya sir said, a single room can be a home while an entire palace can fail to give one that comforting, cosy feeling. I remember visiting so many castles and palaces and always wondering how anyone could ever live in them. Even as a single person, I enjoyed living in my own room in a hostel when I was studying. It was such a wonderful feeling to shut out the world and everyone and return to my own hide out. I still get that feeling many times when people exhaust me mentally.

Of course, having kids in the house brings so much of life and fun and converts a house into a home. So too having a family with many people PROVIDED of course that they can live together in reasonable state of harmony. Home, essentially, has to be a place where one gets a tremendous degree of peace and succour from the stresses and strains of daily life and be able to be oneself.

1 person likes this.