1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Life in a Shell

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SD2713, Jan 13, 2014.

1. SD2713

SD2713 Silver IL'ite

Moving from one room to another my mind is occupied with long lasting memories and body is busy keeping the house clean. It is raining outside and dark today, making my heart all the more heavier with unwept tears. While dusting I see through the printed curtains, the same patterns of doors and windows on the opposite building.
    I hear the noisy raindrops on the neighbor’s tin rooftop.

This slight change in weather makes me to want to do something different today, some change in daily monotony. I look here and there and find my old bag. My hands inevitably open it and take my old notebook out. I see few scribbling on its old faded cream pages… some poems, some moments and some notes. The empty pages of the notebook want to be written. But the pen cannot explain the burden of a wounded heart and soul; the thoughts of a tired mind and body. I look outside through the window and get lost into the vastness of the grey sky. After the rain I simply want to fly out like a bird and reach its limit or fly till my wings break. The delicate wind shakes the pages of the notebook and brings me back down to my shell. For a moment I had forgotten that I am at my home, my shell.

And here the nurtured life is existing and surviving without fresh air and sunlight, with limited resources.
    The decision of choosing the luxury of staying at home over going out for work looks flawed today. With all the routes fading, the world is constricted to this two room apartment. I nest here with twin toddlers and a cooperatively uncooperative other half. I plan, I try, I take steps to improve and I fall flat on my face. These repeated falls make me look old and tired. My shoulders hurt and so does my heart, making the unconditional love very hard.
    This rain stirs some thoughts in me. Traces of hope to bloom and flourish still resides, makes the spine strong to stand again. Stand to the right of happiness, stand to experiment and create.

The content or the state of mind written is mutual amongst many. But I do not intend to spread the same sadness to others. All I am saying is that, this sadness is just temporary and I am learning to make two negatives into one positive. After all we are not snails who actually live in a shell and dream of flying. Thanks to the creator that made me a human… a complete human, a woman whose emotions and strength are controlled by her sane mind.

As I end this writing I feel that the feelings which I have expressed are bit exaggerated and is trifle. Because I am fairly aware that as the time passes these temporary feelings will fade away. The sunny days after this rain are just few days away. I know in future, when I look back at this piece of life I am going to laugh at the emptiness around me.

14 people like this.

2. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

SD2713, Wonderfully written. Though I'm not in your situation but could connect with your feelings when you say emptiness. Despite having many a things the way we wanted or the way we doesn't wanted it to be, this kind of feelings some times stuck to us.

Apart from your feelings, the way you have expressed and written is so good and while reading I was thinking in myself that she will come out of this emptiness and can see the world around her as picture perfect even though it is not so. And you have said the same thing at the end. Loved it. It is a process all of us go through at one or other time.

Keep writing and sharing with us.

2 people like this.
  3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi SD
    I understand you are just writing this during one of the low moments in our lives. We all go through this unexplained morose thoughts sometimes and we think others are the reason for our unhappiness.

Yesterday afternoon, I suddenly felt very weepy for no reason. Suddenly it was gone.

There is a song I like very much:

I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,

I can see all obstacles in my way
    Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
    It’s gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
    Sun-Shiny day.

I think I can make it now, the pain is gone
    All of the bad feelings have disappeared
    Here is the rainbow I’ve been prayin?for
    Sun-Shiny day.

Look all around, there’s nothin?but blue skies
    Look straight ahead, nothin?but blue skies

I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,
    I can see all obstacles in my way
    Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
    Sun-Shiny day.

Find happiness in your two toddlers. Keep thinking positive thoughts.
    Looking forward to seeing more happy posts from you here.

3 people like this.
  4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear HD,
    This too shall pass!
    The longest night becomes the day!
    This too shall pass!
    Cheer up and be positive!
    Wishing you all the best to come out of your shell!
    PS

5. SD2713

SD2713 Silver IL'ite

Thanks pallavi, kkrish and Pushpavalli for the nice conversation and the nice song. This I wrote few days ago when the clouds were weeping and so did my heart. I am happily out of it and yes I do see and feel the happiness around. I write happy things too and have posted few things as other threads. This I wanted to share and convey the message to all that this matter is not of great importance. It’s just a rainy/gloomy day which comes and goes in everyone’s life. It is not permanent. Or maybe I like this bit of writing and wanted to display the same :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear SD 2713,

You are able to express so well about your thoughts. Keep writing whenever you can.

Are we really restricted to the boundaries of the four walls and for that matter our body? The mind is a borderless tool that can get you to the peak of the mountain overlooking the beautiful green valley down or take you to the bottom of the sea and make us drown vehemently trying to breath. The real challenge is to keep it steady and don't allow that to go through violent swings. But, you should never resist the emotions associated with your thoughts but make the mind steady as quickly as possible.

Stay focused on the beauty of those two toddlers rather than thinking about the help you don't seem to get. It is important to raise up every time you fall and how many times you fall is not important. Accept the life as it comes whether they are pleasure and pain and manage them competently. Take a deep breathe every time you are hit with thoughts that tire you up.

Imagine your heart as a fountainhead that is capable of showering the love to the fellow human beings. Use your mind as a tool to unlock the restrain to this fountainhead. Keep pouring love to the fellow human beings around you and make them soak in your love. That aspect of what they see make them reciprocate and help them unlock their fountainhead.

God gave a large vessel full of tasty food with a long wooden spoon to stir it and asked two set of people to enjoy the food. He came back after a week and found one set of people tired and hungry as they didn't know how to take food out with the long wooden spoon. The other set of people were happy and satisfied because they fed each other with that long wooden spoon. One place is known as hell and other is known as heaven.

Never give up on unconditional love. Let that flow and time will change everything. Let God bless you with a lot of peace and happiness.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  7. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Wonderful..absolutely wonderful! I felt as if I was reading my own state of mind sometimes! How well you play with words- "cooperatively uncooperative other half" -Priceless!

I want to write more,but have to take this post and go somewhere else.Where -you'll know soon enough!

Please keep writing !

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear SD,,

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. Please, do not think I am sadistic to say I enjoyed when you talk about depression! Further, I also read these words of your's in you reply above---" It’s just a rainy/gloomy day which comes and goes in everyone’s life. It is not permanent. Or maybe I like this bit of writing and wanted to display the same :) " Hence I knew what you wrote about is a passing phase which most of us go through at times with or without reason!

You have a great style of writing! "After the rain I simply want to fly out like a bird and reach its limit or fly till my wings break", " a cooperatively uncooperative other half", "Traces of hope to bloom and flourish still resides, makes the spine strong to stand again" Just to quote a few lines which make the snippet a delightful one to read!

The last para gives me the confidence to trust that SD is not just going to be bogged down with clouds and rain outside or inside of her shell and she is capable of seeing and catching that rainbow hidden in between them!

There is also a reason for you to celebrate because when racr left your post so abruptly, she went straight to the FP forum and nominated it for the Finest Post of the Month. Congratulations!

L, Kamla

2 people like this.
  9. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear SD
    A hearty welcome to Snippets! Is this your first visit here or I missed you during your earlier visits? Whatever, I feel happy at the addition of another awesome writer to our veritable pool of talents in the Good to Read Forum. And it is nice to see that racr has wasted no time in rushing to the Finest Posts Forum to nominate your thread.

Life in a Shell is as delightfully depressing as watching a Satayajit Ray movie. Strangely my mind refused to accept Life in a Shell as an expression of personal anguish of a soul in distress. On the contrary, I knew it was an attempt to reach a certain standard in stylised writing and I should say that you have achieved enormous success there if I go by the offers of hankies and advice from so many of our members. Satyajit Ray always measured his success by the weight that he was able to add to our hearts at the end of his movies. So did Kurosawa and Adoor Gopalakrishnan.

Pathos is the backbone of abstract writing. Expressions like 'Fly till my wings break' do not fit well into a lighthearted narration. It is also unlikely that when a person is narrating the miseries of his personal life, he would be abstract but would be as factual as the troubles that he encounters in his life. So I am not alarmed at what I read here but is thrilled at the birth of a new star in our literary horizon. May your tribe increase!
    Sri

2 people like this.
  10. SD2713

SD2713 Silver IL'ite

Thank you all for the encouragement. It is nice to see responses from both the genders and differences in opinions.

Kamla- thank you for the praise. You are not at all being sadistic when you say you enjoyed it. Sometimes we see beauty in the dark too. Don’t we? As I understand you liked the writing part of it, the expression. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Cheeniya- thank you for the support and encouragement. I appreciate the fact that you understand that this is just an expression of thoughts which I have tried to write creatively. And comparison to Satyajit Ray movie makes me feel on top of the world :)

Racr- thank you for the compliments and nominating it.

1 person likes this.