1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Happier times for senior citizens

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Nov 23, 2013.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Happier Times for Senior Citizens: [A chronicle of my experiences on the first anniversary of my stay in MELUR MEADOWS-a retirement village] It was an year ago that I made a surreptitious visit to MelurMeadows,a retirement villageatKumaram-n kundru, about 10 kms from Mettupalayam,at the foothills of the Nilgris.Now 77 years old, I had lost my wife (Mithila Kannan/Mythili Kadambam) in November 2011 and was not able to cope up with my altered status in life after 42 years of endearing companionship and unadulterated bliss. My first visit to Melur Meadows was invigorating and I found that here, I could enjoy space and solitude withthe conveniences of healthy food and domestic help provided for. I entered into a medium term agreement with the retreat home for two years.I visit and stay for different spells depending on my convenience and exigencies of family requirements. Golda Meir said that “old age is like flying through a storm” but I can tell you that we can still do something about it. This is a nine acre campus with ninety five apartments offering varied living options. The walkway is almost a kilometre and I enjoy an hours walk,covering a distance of 5 kms.Ah! The bliss of walking without having to worry a bit about vehicles, jostling for space with other pedestrians and with the added companionship of swaying trees and chirping birds; at least 20 different species I am informed proudly by another senior codger like me.
    The iceing on the cake is the occasional entertainment with dance performance by the peacocks across the fence much to your delight and envy.! My paedometer tells me that my walking speed is 4.12 km/hour and I burn around 180-200 kcals.My breathlessness is not as troublesome as it was in Chennai/Bangalore and my sugar levels are no longer uncontrollable.Residents jocularly refer to the main road in the retreat as the famed Mount Road of Chennai,my area[I stay behind] as Tambaram and the corner area as Guduvanchery. You also enjoy viewing the vegetable and fruit patches of papayas,snake gourd and other vegetables promising culinary delights to follow. These are organically grown and will not add to the toxicity already accumulated by us over the years. Medical help is 10 minutes away at Mettupalayam and serious issues are handled at top class hospitals at Coimbatore, an hour’sdrive.This is a far cry from the anxious and unnerving traffic you encounter in major cities. I bid goodbye to loneliness when I entered Melur Meadows. The diverse walks of life that the residents belong to, the age group ranging from 55to 88 and hailing from different parts of India as well as across the seas give us an enjoyable social group. Teachers,professors,accountants,bureaucrats,armymen, bankers,lawyersetc offers an interesting contrast and there is never a dull moment in conversation. What is it that has brought them together? There are a quite a few who have lost their wives or husbandsand unable to handle the subsequent gaping vaccum in their lives, have come here enjoy the unbeatable combination of solitude and companionship. With NRI children,many couples have found a safe haven here and they no longer have todeal with the hassles of managing a home.There are couples who proclaim their independence now and then and rent out an apartment and enjoy the break.There are residents who are here to enjoy fresh unpolluted air,wholesome food and service.There is a very senior gentleman[87]who comes here whenever his daughter goes abroad.Then there are people who I call migratory birds, escaping the winter abroad and enjoy sunshinehere.Those fighting the battle of the bulge seek refuge at the wellness center here and go back leaner but not meaner.Now you will understand why I mentioned that the diversity is interesting. A centralised kitchen offers pure vegetarian food.A residents committee undertakes a review now and then and there is a continuing effort to satisfy the residents with their weight ranging from 45 to 90 kgs. Afterall one of the signs of growing old is, you look at the menu before you look at the waitress. Enterprising ladies bring tiffin boxes carrying home made chutneys and pickles and I have always found it useful to wait for them and occupy the chair in front of them at the dining table.All festivals and special days are celebrated with commitment and gusto. Creativity comes to the fore with singing,skits,playing mouth organ,keyboardetc.Birthdays of the residents and their near and dear are looked forward to convey our good wishes followed by a delightful array of special dishes placed before us. There are of course areas of concern such as frequent powercuts,depleting underground water levels etc but they are being addressed. My two lovely daughters and their respective and respected husbands have understood my need for companionship, healthy living etc and let me come here when they sense my restlessness.I then go back with the battery fully recharged and bask in the attention and affection of my children and grandchildren. This is a win win situation for both of us. Senior citizens today thankfully have a variety of options to satiate their need for individual space, soothing friendships with like minded people and a caring environment. Shorter breaths and longer anecdotes are indicative of ageing and I am not an exception as you will conclude after going through this narration..

19 people like this.

2. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mr Lakshminarayan,
    Good that you found a place which keeps you lively, happy and in good spirit. Nice to hear that you enjoy your stay there and also visit your daughters and enjoy the company of your grandchildren.
    Wishing you a robust health and a happy and contented life,
    PS

1 person likes this.
  3. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Mrs.Pushpavalli,
    I agree that it is better to wear out than to rust out.I enjoy my stay here in this middle class retreat and it was a delight to see Kartigai agal villakus in front of many houses.It is my first experience to witness territorial fights between birds.I must really thank my children for letting me to be on my own with telephone checks twice a day.After many years I wash my clothes inspired by an 88 year old gentleman doing this.
    Thanks for your good wishes which I heartily reciprocate.We need health and peace.
    Regards
    LAKSHIMINARAYANAN

1 person likes this.
  4. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Uncle,

Appreciate your efforts for sharing it with us here, Glad you are enjoying your stay there while you miss your better half.

Happy to know that your children were able to understand your thoughts and helped you to let you be in your own way.

May Baba be with you and bless you with immense goodness of peace, strength and health. SAIRAM

1 person likes this.
  5. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Saisakthi,
    Thanks for your good wishes.The whole idea of the snippet was to show that viable and enjoyable options are available for those in the twilight zone and the younger ones to provide freedom and safety to their parents.
    SAIRAM
    LAKSHIMINARAYANAN

2 people like this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Sir,

I am so delighted to hear that you enjoy your stay in Melur Meadows. Your description itself conveyed how much you enjoy the place. Your comment that seniors enjoy the combination of solitude and companionship made me think. It is very true after living with a companion, we get so used to companionship. At the same time, when we get older, we enjoy solitude as well. It is good such places are giving both.

Your wife is a wonderful person and I am pretty sure you miss her a lot. It is so delightful to read how much you enjoy the company of your children and their families as well. Frankly, it is your open mind and golden heart that would make you comfortable at any place. I wish you a very happy and pleasant stay. Take care of your health.

With best wishes

Viswamitra

1 person likes this.
  7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear LN Mama,

Really nice to read this piece by you. Absolutely love your positive attitude and approach to life. The desire to be on your own two feet, while neither being dependent on your children, nor cutting them off completely is absolutely remarkable. I am sure your children and grandchildren must really cherish every moment you spend with them. There is plenty for many a senior citizen as well as for us who are not too far off from that stage to learn from you.

It is wonderful that you have a place which is so healthy and unpolluted to visit. This is a luxury no money can buy. I am sure aunty must be very glad to see you so cheerful and happy from wherever she is.

Thanks a lot for sharing this - it is a first person account for people who associate OAHs as well as retirement homes with abandonment of elders. It is time we developed more a healthy approach towards ageing gracefully.

2 people like this.
  8. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswamitra,
    My life turned topsy turvy when Mythili left me.I was almost in wilderness when I chanced to see their website.Now I have an option of seeking sanctuary among like minded people,whenever I wish and at the same time give space to children to lead their life without worrying about me day in and day out.
    Thanks for your good wishes and regards
    LAKSHIMINARAYANAN

1 person likes this.
  9. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sachitananda,
    There is nothing old age about this place as the occupants are young in spirit and have a mind of their own.Many of them have come here of their own choice.Quite a few of them dread the thought of staying with their children abroad.I have not come across a single case of abandonment.Attitudinal and life style differences,enjoyment of space and solitude and assertion of independence are a few reasons which have brought some people here.
    A senior resident looks after the library,another taking care of the house magazine and a group of imaginative and enterprising ladies plan and organise cultural activities.I t is like home here.
    Thanks and regards
    LAKSHIMINARAYANAN

1 person likes this.
  10. outofthebox

outofthebox Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sir,I really loved your positive attitude in trying to be on your own even at this ripe age.I must say hats off to the way you have been dealing with your life post your loving wife's demise.I remember having read about Melur Meadows in one of your earlier snippets, and I think I even googled for more information on it. And it was only through your post that I first heard the word "retirement homes"....Thanks for giving such eye-opening first-person narrations ! Please continue to do the same so that many more such institutions will not consider these as places for abandoning elderly people. Having faced some tumultuous situations lately, and also having dealt with mostly elderly people most part of my childhood until now, I have to really thank the Almighty for each and every experience. Now I am all the more serious in thinking about this option for the future. I would like to see more people like you who know how to maintain the peace and balance in family and at the same time not completely cut off from your family people. Your children must be so blessed to have a thoughtful parent like you ! God Bless You and wishing you many more years of health, peace and happiness...! Please do continue to enlighten us with your personal experiences !!!!

2 people like this.