1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Milk

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by annujp82, Oct 8, 2013.

1. annujp82

annujp82 Gold IL'ite

The last time I had lived this close to cows, the year was 1998 in Trichur, Kerala. The last place I had expected to have cows as my neighbors again was in the USA in 2010. But the Universe apparently had other plans. It was September in Arkansas and I had found myself moving there from Hartford. My town in North-West Arkoansas was full of surprises, the least of which were my neighbors who mooed. A lot.

The last time I lived this close to cows, I was sulking my way through 11th standard in a school that was as close to personal hell as possible. The stuff at home had been, how do I put this, complicated. Coaching classes for the engineering entrance exam had forced me into exile at my grandparents’ house, away from my parents’ in Muscat. I am sure my grandparents were excited about the lazy, moody teenager slouching around the house.

I masterfully evaded being assigned chores by simply being hard to find around the house. My grandmother’s arthritis assured me that I could safely spend hours locked up in the second floor of her house, practicing the art of doing nothing. But that plan failed spectacularly because I was never too far away from her booming voice. The good manners she drilled into me as a child assured her that her “Anu, Inga vaaa”(“Anu, come here”) would be promptly answered with “Ippo varen, Savithri ammai” (“Be right there, Savithri ammai”).

I would half-heartedly tear myself away from a book or a song on my cassette player, on weekend afternoons and find her, and be assigned the afternoon chore. She would hand me the stainless steel “thooku” and send me off to Ambi mama’s cowshed down the street. I rarely drank milk then, even when my grandmother assured that it was what growing girls needed. An overweight 16 year old does not need any more growing to happen, I would retort haughtily. I hated the cows with all my heart as I shuffled those few hundred feet, in the noon heat, to buy the fresh milk for evening coffee.

On a good day, I can day dream my way into that cowshed again. The smell of manure and animals took a life of its own there. The animals’ stalls were spotless, the dung cleaned away as soon as it hit the floor. The smell of hay tickled my nose, as I tried to avoid looking into the eye of a particularly curious cow edging towards me. The huge vat of frothy bubbling warm milk lay expectantly near the kitchen of Ambi mama’s house, adjoining the cowshed. One of the men, who worked the cows, would pick up a huge aluminum mug and pour the half liter of milk it into the vessel I held ready.

I would then ready myself for the tight rope walk back home. The heat would quicken my feet, but incurring the wrath of my Savithri ammai over the spilt milk was the stuff my nightmares were made of, so I would slow down. Thatha stood ready in the outer hall to collect the vessel from my unsteady hands. He peered into the vessel, and always exclaimed that Ambi mama was selling more water than milk. I always took the comment on the quality of milk personally and stalked off to the refuge of my book or my songs.

11 years later, when I would walk into the bright North West Arkansas mornings, a whole world away from that little cowshed in Thrissur, the moos of the unseen cows said hello. On warm nights when I would come home ravenous, the smell of the manure and fresh cut grass would make me crave a glass of milk. But the microwaved 2% never looks as appetizing to me as the thought of that vat of warm bubbling milk in that shed back in Thrissur.

17 people like this.

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Deaer Annu,

Another delightful post from u.Well, we are city born and bred so i dont know m uch of this, but there is htis house opp mine and they keep a bufallo who moos and mas all time and it can be irritating at times.

Milk, well i drink a glass of cold sugarless milk first thing at breakfast , since childhood even now when i am a senior citizen.it has mainly to do with washing the nightly sins of whiskey, nonveg, and ciggies. And the habit still continues.

And my milk comes in the form of tea i have half a dozen cups every day, and ibless the cows or buffaloes which have given that milk.HAHA

Superb post, u are getting better and better, Anuu.God bless u.

2 people like this.
  3. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Nice one Annujp82. Made me feel a bit nostalgic too.

What we detested then, turns out to be what we like to have, once we have deserted them. Isn't it? -rgs

1 person likes this.
  4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Annu
    If you ever plan to sell your keyboard, make the first offer to me. It has sheer magic in it. Like the throne of Emperor Vikramaditya. You just tap a few keys and out comes another outstanding piece of nostalgia which should normally be the specialty of the superannuated guys like me! I never knew that there could be nostalgia associated with milk but then, as I mentioned at the start, it is all in the keyboard, YOUR keyboard!

Grandmas have always had a booming voice. Even someone with a mellifluous voice like MS would probably develop it for use with their grandchildren! I recall the famous vocalist Nithyasri saying that of her famous grandma, DK Pattammal too! And they all wanted their grandchildren to emulate the example of illustrious Lord Krishna in polishing off pots and pots of dairy products! And when I heard the name 'Ambi Mama', my eyes started tearing for there were so many of them during my growing up process that we needed to use some distinguishing feature of each Ambi Mama for easy identification. They must all be keeping Chitraguptan above busy and totally confused if he kept his records only on the basis of names.

All my grandparents except my maternal grandma passed away before my arrival. Since my maternal grandpa had my name, my grandma would never call me by my name. It was always 'Paappa'!
    Sri

4 people like this.
  5. annujp82

annujp82 Gold IL'ite

I really like how we attach cleansing powers to milk. Milk abhishekams, milk for digestion and milk to clean our systems - it seems to be the panacea.

Thank you so much Kamal ji. I am so glad you enjoyed my write up.

6. annujp82

annujp82 Gold IL'ite

Dear rgs, so true. You summed up my 500 word snippet in 20 words. Thats exactly what i was trying to capture here, in a roundabout fashion.

Thank you so much for your kind words!

1 person likes this.
  7. annujp82

annujp82 Gold IL'ite

Sri mama, What can i say except that I am over the moon seeing what you have to say about my writing. Thank you so much. You have no idea how much it means to me to hear you say this.
    The ambi mama in my snippet is a world famous cook from Thrissur. His paal adai payasams are famous all over. His sons have now started a chain of restaurants in Cochin called Ambi Sami's.
    Its close to 2 years since my savithri ammai passed away, but if i try really hard, i can hear her calling my name like yesterday.
    Thank you once again for liking my work and taking the time out to write kind words about it.
    Anitha

8. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

memories!!! Annu, indeed a good snippet..All of a sudden it drags me to Tanjore, where I spent my summer holidays..Though we spent very few minutes there, the mixture smell of dung,hays would fill up our lungs and it remains in our mind as memories all the time...

1 person likes this.
  9. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Anu,

A very warm and nostalgic snippet.... takes me back to my hometown... at my parents' place, where it is still our dear old 'kutty anna' who brings milk and had been doing so for more than 20 years. My parents moved a little away from him years ago, kutty anna still brings the milk though he has no other customer in that area. He would turn up only around 11 am with the morning milk after finishing all his other customers, pour some milk for our pet dog and then come into the house. He would always sit and talk with whoever is there and ask me or my SIL to switch on the fan and bring some water. Many times he will have coffee with us before he leaves :)

Whey my dad retired, he told kutty anna "you have been giving milk for the same price all these years, why don't you increase the price?" he said "you yourselve have retired, what will I take from you anna, give me whatever you feel like." So they increased the price marginally which was less than the price of half liter of milk packet!!

It was never about the money... half the time he would give double the amount of milk than what was required and never charge for it. He is more of a family member than a milk man. He called me to invite me to his son's wedding this august... I am going to visit him and the newlyweds on my december trip!!

Don't know why I am rambling on and on!!

A lovely snippet anu. Thanks :)

2 people like this.
  10. annujp82

annujp82 Gold IL'ite

Thank you Prana ma'am. I am so happy you liked my snippet.
    Yes, its incredible how certain smells can takes us back to where memories were realities.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013