1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Butterfly Garden

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by AkilaMani, Sep 27, 2013.

1. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Stepping out of the house on a weekday morning for a brisk walk can be invigorating and energize, and I have recently re-discovered this truth after a long gap and regret having missed it for so long. Today, after finish off my kitchen chores and urging my husband to finish his soon, I quickly changed into my jogging tracks and tees, tied off my hair in a high ponytail, and grabbed my sneakers. My husband joined me soon and we were happily off on our new trail for a brisk morning walk. My daughters had been to a nearby park recently and had quipped my curiosity with the unending banter of its inmates, the butterflies. They had even taken snaps of them for my elder daughter’s science project.

I wondered how they manage to discover such new places which I fail to notice! and my DH gently reminded me that I fail to notice him even at a close range. I vehemently protested saying it was because I had not expected to see him at a certain place and certain time and had not recogonized him. And then it struck me, because I expect to see a certain person / thing in a certain place I fail to notice something else that is present while children are not expecting to see something, they are curious and open to seeing what is present!!

We walked on and were soon away from traffic and in the park when my husband pointed out the board inviting everyone to take a look and the beautiful butterflies. I had seen this place a couple of times but had assumed it as an enclosed flower garden. We saw a few elderly going and many standing outside doing various forms of exercise. My husband convinced me that it would be a better idea to finish our walk and check out the garden on our way back.

Along the way, I kept wondering how I had failed to see the prominent signboard. I felt a little foolish as my husband knew the exact location when my kids mentioned it while I had been clueless. The brisk walk, warm breeze and the wonderful sight of so many health conscious people soon took my mind off the feeling and I continued on.

On our way back, we stepped into the butterfly garden to be welcomed by a bunch of colorful butterflies of small and medium sizes. Yellow, blue, red butterflies dotted the lush greenery in the enclosure. A big black one landed on a shrub close to me and I was surprised to see the beautiful blue pattern on its wings. We stood looking around and in one corner I saw couple of butterflies on the outside (probably escaped from the enclosure) hovering close to the mesh fence and the ones on the inside were also hovering there. It looked as if they were talking to each other across the fence. I wondered what they would say! They were close but yet so far. It reminded me of the feeling I get every time I call my parents. Their voice in my ears makes me feel so close, but when I end the call I feel they are so far away from me. Now with the advancement in technology, many of us can see our dear ones on skype and chat (though my parents don't use the internet) but that too is something similar to what the butterflies were doing; again, close yet far.

Soon it was time to leave. I wondered what made me compare the butterflies to human feelings. Guess it is to do with the fact that I am going to meet my parents in a few months and also the fact that I will miss my DH when I visit my parents as he will join us two weeks later. I am totally excited about seeing my parents, but I am already starting to miss my DH. Funny how the mind works :)

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Akila
    There is no greater fun than to be able to ramble on a variety of things in a single Snippet! I do it ever so often. When I sit before the keyboard with my index finger all ready and eager for action (That's the finger that I use to do all my typing!), I open the enclosure into which I keep my brain in safe custody and let it to hop into the big, big world for a breather. This is almost like the walk that you decided to take on a weekday morning.

My mind then jumps off into action like a misguided Diwali rocket that makes everyone scurry for life! I follow it and record all its movement as faithfully as possible and that is how a 'Senile Rambling' is born every time. It is nice to come across a kindred soul in you!

You came and you saw the multicoloured butterflies and your mind took off from there in its own pursuit. Butterflies did not interest it and it hopped on to relationships. 'So near and yet so far' it wondered watching a few butterflies on either side of the enclosure. What would they be telling each other? I am sure it is the same old stuff of 'Grass is greener' . I guess all feelings are the same no matter if they are of humans, birds, bees or animals.

I wonder if butterflies have this family feeling. I mean do they recognise their parents and others. Will they have the same dilemma when they take off for a holiday with their parents? Years back, when my daughter had a similar dilemma, my little grand daughter told her, 'Mom, if this is your problem, then you could have married thatha instead of appa!'
    Sri

6 people like this.
  3. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Aki, felt good after reading this snippet..do we get tired in admiring our mother nature...moon,Rain,clouds,river,falls(aruvi-what a lovely tamil word)...And above all how much secret they posses within them..?

Yes, children always live in present..but we elders either in past or future..See now itself you are worrying about missing your Dh :)(kidding dear)..It reminds me of my story தேவதைகளின் உலகம்....

A warm snippet Aki..enjoyed it..

1 person likes this.
  4. rajinitk4

rajinitk4 IL Hall of Fame

Wow Akila what a blissful post.

1 person likes this.
  5. EverHappy

EverHappy Platinum IL'ite

Akila, a wonderful snippet dear.. I always enjoy reading about anyone reminiscing about nature and its beauty, but the way in which you have roped in the feeling of near yet so far spoke so much..

Recently, my husband surprised me with his discovery of a butterfly in our garden. It was resting on the wooden shed and for a minute I wondered if it was a chameleon for it blended so well with the background. I can imagine the black butterfly with a blue lining.

And what can I say about the near yet so far feeling.. I totally empathise, living away from parents and how it feels they are so close on a call and the moment it ends I realize they are oceans apart although closest in heart. Just yesterday, I had a bad day at work, on the way back I called my mother. Hearing my voice, she greeted me with such glee, as though she was hearing me after eternity, when it was only in the morning that she forcefully packed my lunch (yup, she is here on a visit :) After the call, miraculously a whole days frustration had vanished in a moment..
    Not wanting to ramble on, I'll just say, I also empathise how it feels to miss either parents or DH most of the time..

Love,

2 people like this.
  6. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Beautiful snippet Akila. Oh! Already it has been nominated. Congratulations on being nominated. As Prana says we are never living in present like kids, but that's what make us to be grown ups.

Regards
    manjukps

1 person likes this.
  7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Akila dear this is your second snippet and well written . Your first snippet was also an awesome post. First thing I did was to nominate your post.

You have nicely brought the relationship between butterflies and humanbeings. We woman after marriage want our dh and parents also to be with us. But that cant be possible always. But in my case after marriage when my first daughter was born my mother was with me to take care of my daughter as my mil was no more. But she could be there only for 2 years and after that she died . Those two years were memorable year for me as both dh and my mom were there in the sam ehouse. Even when my mother was in hospital my dh only was near her as a son since my brothers were out of town and Doctor had told me to send messages to my brothers and sister so I was not near when she died which till today I repent. Now my children are abroad and I know how much we miss each other. Not a day goes without chatting with them, thanks to modern technology

Relationships are like a beautiful butterfly in your hand. If you beat it, it will die. If you hold it tight it will either die or fight it's way out and never return. If you leave your hand open it will either stay, leave and come back, or leave and never return. So if you suffocate and abuse it, you will surely lose it. If you leave it open with true love you'll have a 2/3 chance of it staying. If you love them then be willing to let them go if they want to.

- Brian Christopher Paige

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  8. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Akila

Very warm snippet......Nature always has its own beauty.
    During my stay in Australia I had many sea gulls and cockatoos around my house, as soon as I send my DH and Son out I use to feed them and enjoy with them for 1/2 an hour. It would be being in heaven when these birds are with you and enjoying with you.

creativemind23 and AkilaMani like this.
  9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dea rAkila,

the mind is funny. Hubby is with u, and u are already missing him eh ! Lucky hubby to have a wonderful wife like u, and lucky parents too to have such a caring daughter.

REgarding the walks, yes even though i walk in jaipur, still the morning walk is damn good, but i dont prefer my wife to be with me, but my friends, for we crack corny jokes early morning, and we watch birds, of the two legged variety.HAHA.

But yes it freshens me up so much, the nature, the walk, the talk, that it makes the day go by so fast.

1 person likes this.
  10. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear uncle,

I am so happy to recieve your feedback as the first :)

You have put it so beautifully... the mind hops from a thought to another so quickly and it is not always possible to keep pace with it.

Your granddaughter is sooooo cute :)

Thanks again uncle. Have a great evening!

1 person likes this.