1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Water, no ice!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by annujp82, Sep 2, 2013.

1. annujp82

annujp82 Gold IL'ite

Water, no Ice!
    The year was 2006, early April in Chennai. I was living my dream, or so I thought then. Born in a tiny town of Thrissur, Kerala, I had grown up in Muscat, Oman. The luxuries of having a car and an air conditioned apartment did nothing to alleviate my conservative Indian childhood in Muscat. The most “happening” event of my teen years back in Thrissur was witnessing the opening of the first ever mall in the district. Finally, there was a place to go hang out with friends, we cheered. No matter that you couldn’t afford the overpriced fried rice or even coffee at City Center!
    I had high hopes when my first job took me to the capital city of my state, Trivandrum. Capital CITY, I thought to myself! Finally, I get to live where people rode fancy cars, ate in fast food joints and wore jeans without inviting long stares from strangers. Yeah, Trivandrum is not that place. So imagine my excitement when I finally reached Chennai, the first city I had ever lived in. Jeans wearing was acceptable and there were real life pubs!
    When I gushed about living in the city, everyone asked me how I planned to survive the summer in Chennai. I received useless trivia from family and friends about the Chennai’s horrid weather. It gets unbearably hot; they told me in hushed voices. I had lived in Muscat, where it gets up to 45 degrees centigrade during summer, I huffed. I can handle it. Besides, it’s a CITY!
    Nothing prepared me for the reality that was my first Chennai summer. The heat in Chennai is a beast with a mind of its own. It’s a baking wet heat for months. April and May pass in a haze that can be blamed on cooked brains. But June, oh sweet June! June signaled the start of monsoon in the heart of every Keralite. But not in Chennai. June brings some more heat. If you think that the sun is the bastard that makes it so unbelievingly hot, the nights snicker at you. You don’t get a good night sleep for months because you are waking up to take late night showers to wash away the sweat.
    I lived in a stuffy 1 bedroom hole in the 2nd floor of a house. The man who made the house had not grasped the meaning of windows. The house had none. NONE. The only air in and out was the front door and thankfully the tiny hole in the bathroom wall which rocked the exhaust fan. Every time you walked out of the house, the heat punched you in the face till you were a shell of sweaty clothes.
    Outside my house was a cold drink shop that I set foot in just once in the year that I lived there. Every morning at eight, the ice delivery man dropped off his goods at the shop. If you imagine Reddy Ice trucks with bags and bags of equally sized ice cubes, you have been in USA far too long. Ice delivery in India happens on an open cart, huge blocks of ice many square feet in area are stacked covered with sacks made of jute. The delivery man unloads a block together with the sack covering it outside the shop, on the side of the road. The block of ice lies there, in the sweltering heat, not melting. That was the first sign that this ice is funky. The drink shop almost always had worker so low in the totem pole that his daily duty was to break this ice. He takes a hammer to this sack covered ice to break it to smaller pieces, collecting them in a steel vessel.
    People blinded and parched stumbled into these shops and asked for a lemonade. The drink is made cold with this ice. This ice, made from water you don’t want to know where it came from, floats expectantly in your drink. You have seen the sack of ice on the cart, you have seen the block of ice lying in wait for the worker to come break it up. You have seen the ice make friends with the stray dogs on your street. If you have seen this, you never want ice in your drink EVER.
    Fast forward a few years. I sat in my booth in the newest Indian restaurant in town, last week, enjoying a spicy chicken curry, when I hear the man in the next table ask for a glass of water. “Water, no ice ok?” the man cautions disrespectfully. What a douchebag, I think, shaking my head. The image of the sack covered ice block pops up in front of my eyes. His jerk-ish charm notwithstanding, maybe he has a point, I concede grudgingly. Ice remains a mystery to us, Indians. Its origin, shape and its strange power to dilute the drink you paid full price for. If people can survive the Chennai summer staying away from ice, the winter in America is a no-brainer. But not me! I like the clink of ice in my drink. My brain freeze from snacking on ice chips invites the strangest stares from my Indian friends. We live in the land of free refills, I tell them. You should order your Pepsi with ice, I encourage hopelessly.
    But only I know the reason why ice and I are so tight. We are making up for lost time and how!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
    13 people like this.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Annuj,

I can't believe that this wonderful piece of writing has no takers. I enjoyed your narration and your excellent sense of humor demonstrated throughout in your style of writing. I remember those carts being pulled with huge ice bars disproportionate in size. Drinks with ice in those shops are perfect recipe for catching sore throat.

I can understand your anxiety to get into a real city where you can see cosmopolitan society. I have lived in Trivandrum and I can understand what you missed out in that Capital City. Many times I feel it is a village when compared to Cochin. In a refill society, those who drink with no ice are sinners.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  3. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Wonderful narration Annuj! As much as I was feeling sorry for you, I just couldn't help but laugh out aloud while imagining your experience with ice and heat in Chennai. Man, how frustrating it must have been for you- to be so close to Mr. Ice and yet not being able to touch it!

1 person likes this.
  4. helpmeangel

helpmeangel Platinum IL'ite

woah!! Really good writing!! I enjoyed this simple yet superbly written piece!

5. annujp82

annujp82 Gold IL'ite

Thank you!! :) I have been a closet writer for few years now. I am so happy you all like it. Gives me confidence to post more of my stuff.

6. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Nice one AJ.

Icy days in Chennai are Dicey days :)

2 people like this.
  7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Annuj,

Welcome to snippets. I thank Viswamitra for nominating this post which brought me here. Hats off to your narrative skills which can only be described as "amazing" for lack of a better word (or my limited vocabulary). What a picture you have painted with your words. In fact there was a picture you painted without even mentioning the word "flies" :-D I could imagine myself in Chennai and absent mindedly I got up from my bed and switched on the fan! :rotfl Hats off to the endurance of Chennaites who bravely endure the blazing heat of those agonizing summer months and the rest of the months in Chennai (except probably a brief respite from Nov-Jan). But I guess that is the price one pays for having a beautiful sea side!

Waiting to read a lot more from your "pen". :-D

1 person likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Annuj
    I am here for the same reason that brought our effervescent Satchi here. I normally write about a nominated thread in the Finest Post Forum itself and when I saw Viswa nominating it there, I should have acknowledged it there with a detailed comment as is my wont. But then I am making a departure from my custom for two reasons. First, Chennai has been my home for 69 years. I was a baby of two when my family moved in here. I have a special emotional bond with the city. Second, no other city in India has so much to impart by way of life's lessons. All my Senile Ramblings have their root in Chennai.

The bone of contention is not the beastly heat now. Everyone knows about the sweat inducing humidity of Chennai. The ace cricket commentator P.Anand Rao of yesteryear would aptly sum it up as 'Madras has only two seasons. Hot and hotter!' He would say it a dozen times a day during the five days when the match was played in Chennai. And there was a guy sitting in the Box with him who would laugh like a hyena every time he cracked this joke. Possibly a paid underling of his! I lived in a house which had no electricity until I finished my schooling. You are talking about the exhaust fan in the bath room. We had only a hand held fan of palm leaf.

Sweating? Perhaps we did and profusely too but no one noticed it. Only a non-sweating person was viewed as an alien. Ghost stories were plenty in my tenement of ten families and since we had always been told to look for apparitions whose feet never reached the ground and who would never sweat, non sweating people always scared me.

Ice in any shape, of any origin and in any condition was considered a life saviour. Only my grandma would prefer to have her water stored in a mud pot with a bunch of 'vettiver' floating in it for further cooling. The windows would have curtains made of 'vettiver' and keeping them wet and fragrant was my duty. I used a hand pump which was normally used for spraying pesticides like 'Flit' for spraying water on the thatti. The inside temperature would be down by 5 to six degrees as compared to outside by this method.

Ice cream made of milk was yet to put in its presence. The first ever was called Rita Ice cream which was made in a small outfit in Mylapore. Every time we walked near the factory, smell of Vanilla would fill our entire being. Until this kind of ice cream made its presence, ice blocks would be scraped against steel blades mounted on a wooden frame. When the blocks were vigorously moved against this contraption, nice ice flakes would be collected in a plate underneath. The ice vendor would make a soft ball of it and fix a bamboo stick to it. On this ball, he would spray an assortment of flavours and sweeteners. We would keep sucking at it until we reached home and proudly display our multi-coloured tongues to our mums!

If I were destined to be born again, I would prefer to be in Madras, old Madras if possible!
    Sri

8 people like this.
  9. attitudegirl

attitudegirl Platinum IL'ite

I was brought here from nomination thread too..

ok.. couldn't contain myself from commenting here.. as being born and brought up in hot Chennai for 21 years, before coming to even hotter Dubai..

Loved ur narration every bit..

I have never felt Chennai was hot until going thru this post.. Always felt, its neither too hot for the use of Air Conditioner, nor too cold for use of Woolen Clothes.. Weather is hot and humid, but if u go under the shade of a tree, u feel bliss.. And summer season being the best time to visit the Marina Beach daily, visiting ice cream parlors, eating kulfis... wow, im getting nostalgic right now.. Though it has been many years since I have witnessed Chennai Summer, still I can feel it right now... Oh!! what would I pay to go back and witness it again!!

There was an ice factory next to my school, I used to watch the ice getting loaded daily onto the trucks and the carts..

And the best part of Chennai is, the autowalas.. No matter whatever they charge when we actually hire them, they'll be more than happy to help with directions.. It doesnt matter, even if someone doesnt speak tamil, and they cant speak English, they'll perfectly guide u to the right address..

Though i dont have the courage to take my kids on the Pallavan Transport, I cant wait for next year to take them on an auto ride.. They really love it..

Chennai, I love you, even if u r hot, still i find u cool place to be..

4 people like this.
  10. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

lovely narration.. though I've been to chennai a few times but have heard of the sweltering heat many a times.. but coming from Mumbai .. I can familarise myself with all you say.. I still remember the bullock carts with huge blocks of ice covered with saw dust and jute sacks parked out side all types of restaurants.. fancy and cheap.. and also remember often when we had a tummy upset it would be attributed to the "ice" we had in the drink or sugarcane juice..

1 person likes this.