1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bombay Style ;-)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by prettydevil, Aug 29, 2013.

1. prettydevil

prettydevil Platinum IL'ite

While I was conversing with Arch in her thread, she reminded me so much of the language we use in Bombay. I did not want to increase the pages of her thread, so thought of writing it here.

So to begin with, infact I do not have anything to begin with also. I am not sure if any of the Non-Bombayites are aware of what is spoken in Bombay (now Mumbai).

Let me start with an incidence. We used to travel to North almost every year or two to attend some or the other relative's marriage. And all the people out there used to love when I used to talk.

Not coz honey flooded out of my mouth. But they used to be so surprised hearing my "strange" hindi (strange for them). They used to ask me to speak so many things and also translate their hindi lines into Bombaiyya hindi lines.

I used to feel like a stand up comedian who is entertaining everyone with the famous Bombay talks and words. They always used to say (till now) to my family and everyone else that her hindi is "badi kamaal ki" (meaning -- weird may be).

They used to laugh on it. And I never understood why was it so humorous to them.

Well, later, my doubt was cleared, when I saw Munnabhai MBBS :biggrin2:

Anyway, now that I remember all that it still makes me laugh. How over the period of time, my language has changed( after coming to US) or should I say has become more mannerful ;-)

But still I would prefer Bombaiyya language over any other language and anytime :)

And those tapori words (like the one's Arshad Warsi spoke in Munnabhai).. wow.. I miss them, but still use them sometimes. It makes me remember home sweet home, I mean Bombay.

chirkoot (duffer)...popat (parrot) .... vatak le (get lost)... vantaas ho (go away) .... dimaakh ka dahi mat kar (don't make curd out of brains).... faadu...(too good) dhaasu (superb)... jhakaas (excellent)....... and many other such words, used to be so normal for us. Infact every statement of ours had atleast one of these words.

aahh.. I am home sick now.... I can go on and on and on with the Bombiyya style, but I guess there are very few who will enjoy that. So will put a stop it this post now.

P.S: This post is meant to be for fun ONLY. Please don't divert this into the east-west-north-south debate. No offense meant to anyone.

Thank you for reading.

:thankyou2:

23 people like this.

2. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

PD, Just happened to browse thru and the title piqued my curiosity:) As a Southie with a strong accent and a general bewilderment of when something is feminine or masculine (besides people, of course) I loved it when my northern N. Indian friends and my central (to me) N. Indian friends argued over the merits of their dialects:) It took the heat off me. I hope to hear more of that here and try to figure why something is/isn't the 'right' way...

3 people like this.
  3. prettydevil

prettydevil Platinum IL'ite

heheheh.... must be funny listening to them ;-)

I welcome your thoughts, but this is a very light thread, just for fun. I don't mean to hurt anyone with the right's or wrong's :-D

4. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

oh no, I didn't mean right or wrong in that sense...being a hindi language learner I make such a mess of it:) what we call 'killing it'.

I was in Andheri on my way to Colaba-waiting for a bus to take me to the station. I was 'practicing' my hindi by reading the signboards. I saw one that said 'hairy farm'..in hindi (can't figure out the script here) I was so puzzled...what was a hairy farm? Just then a heavily bearded, long haired guy walked out of that place. I felt very bright "oh what a fancy name for wig manufacturers." A few minutes later it struck me-Dimbulb that I am it struck me that it wasn't hairy farm but dairy farm! The script had me puzzled.

So you see any discussion will be step up-so it will be 'right' for me:)

10 people like this.
  5. outofthebox

outofthebox Platinum IL'ite

hey PD...

I love the way you bring in humor to your posts.....Read your previous one on messing up without glasses and now this one ! Keep it going gal !

After seeing teacher's anecdotes
    even I wish this thread goes on a lighter vein...it would be much more fun that way...I don't remember any such incidents to narrate here...so looking forward to seeing others come out...!

and yes, somehow Mumbaiyya style is kind of attractive to the younger masses I guess....and I am one of those who enjoys listening to it.......and Munnabhai MBBS was one such movie which had many floor-rolling moments !

4 people like this.
  6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

As a Puneri we had our own Hindi slang culture albeit heavily influenced by Marathi. I always thought that faadu was the hindi-zation (not a word) of the Marathi faatli. We used it to mean difficult or complicated. For instance, 'Exam bahut faadu tha yaar!' (The exam was really tough).

I remembered a funny, language-related anecdote upon reading this thread. I once got a Rs 10 note from the bus conductor as change after buying a ticket. The note had a picture of a very happy Mahatma Gandhi. Next to his face someone had scribbled, "Bapu bahot hasrela hai re, desh to khadde mein jarela hai re." (bapu you seem very amused but the country in headed into a ditch). :rotfl

10 people like this.
  7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

PD tu to ekdum kamaal ki cheez hai re, kya dhaasoo snippets likhti hai. Has, has ke mar raheli mai idhar. Ekdum jhakaas time pass karne ka. Bole to life mein kucch seriously nahin lene ka. Hasne ka aur hasaane ka? Aapun ko toh aisaich kucch light padhneko mangta hai. Kyaaaaa?

(PD, you are one amazing gal, you write such fantastic snippets. Am rotfl. Makes for excellent "time pass". Don't take anything seriously in life. Laugh and make others laugh. I love to read such light stuff. What say?)

18 people like this.
  8. outofthebox

outofthebox Platinum IL'ite

Hijack Alert sorrryy PD !!!
    ....but I just couldn't stop laughing imagining Satchi talk in this ishtyle !
    OMG ! :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

6 people like this.
  9. bubblygal

bubblygal Platinum IL'ite

Hmm pd i get the same looks when i speak to people here!
    The words which havent left me at all!:
    Gardi (Crowd)
    Hallu
    Aila
    Kaan ke neeche ek bajoungi!
    If i want to be sarcastic meri shaadi hai kyaaa?
    a skinny person would be addressed as sukhdaaa bombil!
    Hehehehee

9 people like this.
  10. katochsimi

katochsimi Gold IL'ite

hehehee...kya bhen log bahot majja karleli hai.....and post bhi bahot shinning marleli hai...:D

4 people like this.