1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ego & Effervescence...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by GoogleGlass, Aug 5, 2013.

1. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Ego & Effervescence...

We all know very well the meaning of Ego and the meaninglessness it brings to ones' life.

If one is Egoistic then it leads to alienation from the society he is in. Then what's life if you are not part of the society???

Hold on to the ego and alienate yourself and form a society of egoistic people. Is that possible? Forming a society of egoistic people - can that be a reality?

No never that is not possible to the absolute, no two egoistic people can live in peace and how come a society of egoistic people is possible???

People who shed their egos can live in harmony, peace and happiness and we do know the value of shedding the ego.

Just a flash - to realize the value of shedding the ego am visualizing the following:

Assume the ego as an effervescent vitamin tablet. A glass of water as the society. The effervescent tablet is solid in nature and contains the vitamins to give energy. But if it remains as a tablet the vitamins are of no use.

What happens when the effervescent tablet is put inside a glass of water? It reaches the bottom and slowly it starts dissolving and you see the air bubbles raise. Later the tablet starts floating, finally dissolves completely and the vitamins are there fully available in the water to give the energy needed.

Observing this if we all could shed our egos as the effervescent vitamin tablet we can mingle with the society of friends, family, colleagues and realize the value of harmony, peace and happiness of living together in a society.

Is this an advise? Am not sure what it is but felt like sharing the thought with you friends.

If you don't like it then I should be an effervescent tablet beyond the use by date and there isn't any more vitamins to give you any energy - just dump me in garbage :)

It is true if one is not ready to shed the ego then he is unfit to live in the society and rightfully belongs to the garbage :)

12 people like this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear GG,

You have explained a most difficult subject in a simple example. I used to think EGO as a malignant growth that requires surgical removal when it affects our lives. But I like the idea of thinking about it as an effervescent vitamin tablet that is needed to be diluted in the water (society). Westerners believe that one needs EGO to experience development and growth whereas East believes that EGO needs to be subdued. If EGO is needed for individual growth, I like it dissolved for the benefit of the society.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  3. GoogleGlass

Thank you V' for your kind words. You are right if we don't shed on our own then probably has to be surgically removed - painful and survival is at stake :)

4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dea r GG,

Ego is veyr dangerous, it makes u rekless, makes u think no end of yourself, and brings only trouble for the owner of the ego.

Sometimes yr position gives u ego, for example if are a prime minister of the country, then maybe ego comes in, tha i am so and so, but i am surprised to see even autorickshawwallas having a massive one, for no ryhme or reason.

either way, having it is not right for our health.

Well said GG

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  5. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear GG
    A very thought provoking post! Just loved the idea.
    Ego is a complicated subject. No one understands it in the right perspective. Even the First Born, the Creator, when he came into the world, looked around and saw nothing and said, 'I am Brahma' (Aham Brahmasmi) probably to reassure himself that he had work to do and that only he could do it. This is according to Brahadaranyaka Upanishad. In the process, he set in motion the identification of all living things through name and form. When I recall this passage of the Brahadaranyaka Upanishad, I am able to connect to your visualisation of Ego as an effervescent vitamin tablet. That is how it acted on God Himself!

Look at the way a child revels in its name. When a young child learns that a sequence of sounds produced by its parents' vocal chords is its name, the child begins to equate the word, which, in its mind, becomes a thought, with what he is. Initially the child only knows the name and responds to it. The name is everything. Through the touch of its mother and the sound of its name, the child encompasses the entire universe. As the child grows into an adult, the 'I' sense , the 'Ego' sense and the name and the form reinforce each other giving a grandiose impression to the person.

If you are content with being nobody in particular, you align yourself with the powers of the universe. What looks weakness to the ego is in fact the only true strength. An ancient Taoist classic says:
    'Instead of trying to be the mountain, be the valley of the universe, so all things will come to you'
    When we are on the ego trip, we want to be the mountain. We want everybody to look at us in awe and wonder. We are upset and angry when someone tells us in the face that we are not what we claim to be. When we are in the valley, all thoughts, feelings and people rush towards us, moved by our humility, which is the opposite of ego.

Shedding ego is not such a complicated process as people make it out to be. Once they savour the rewards of humility, they will not think of ego again!
    Sri

7 people like this.
  6. navyar

navyar Gold IL'ite

Wonderful post GG.

1 person likes this.
  7. charmbabez

charmbabez Gold IL'ite

well said GG .. liked it.

let "E" go.

1 person likes this.
  8. GoogleGlass

You are right Kamalji - the owner of ego becomes an unclaimed baggage with excessive weight full of garbage :)

Thank you Kamalji.

9. GoogleGlass

Wow that's really nice to have Sri here and give more clarity to the subjected ego that is to be subdued or got rid off. Thank you Sri.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  10. attitudegirl

attitudegirl Platinum IL'ite

Very nice post.. i would just leave my comment as above.. "is that possible?"

nominating for FP.

1 person likes this.