1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Who is LUCKY ????

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by charmbabez, Aug 1, 2013.

1. charmbabez

charmbabez Gold IL'ite

I was sitting on the sofa watching the 2 yrs old kid playing with his costly remote car.Though I never get tired watching the kid, He got bored throwing the car running next room where his father was busy uploading his recent trip pictures in his laptop (later he showed me those). I don't know what happened inside but heard him shouting at the kid, poor fellow he came running out of the room on search of his mom who was speaking over the phone.

I am in my dad's friend's house waiting for my dad to take me home.One of the most irritating stuff for me is to wait for my dad in an unknown's house at this age of 25+. Still I was watching the kid who was running restless from room to room.As I was new to him he refused to play with a stranger though I tried to comfort him with my smile and action.:thumbsdown

The kid lost his control and started to cry which made his mom to end her conservation.She picked the boy and came near me.She gave her costly cellphone to play and was talking to me.My heart was jumping what if the kid throws the phone and again gets scoldings.And that happened too now it was his mom's turn.

"He is naughty one,he always use to play with mobiles and laptops,though we got him toy laptop for 2k he still wish to play with our gadgets"(I was about say its you who gave him the phone but closed my mouth).
    See the kids in this generation or lucky to play with gadgets and costly toys.
    I had nothing to say other than "hmmm" "is it" "kkk" as she was boasting about the things in her house. I am sure if a thief hear, her house will be looted.

Thank god my dad arrived soon after making me wait for 3 hours.I felt to hug the child and console the kid.I am sure he wants something more than the things around.We left the place, but still my mind got strucked with her words."The kids now a days are blessed".

After reaching home I heard my dad telling my mom that the kid there was blessed to celebrate his 3rd birthday in the famous 7 star hotel in our place.
    As I had nothing to work on. I thought of having a slow rewind about my childhood as still my mind was debating who is lucky ??.I went to my favorite place in my house to have a nostalgic evening over the terrace.

I was living with my parents in a rented house with 8 families.There were 12 kids including me.Vijay was elder among in our gang leader who will get all scoldings for all our mischievous stuffs and I was there anjali papa who is younger among all.We will be together as always there will be some free position in that house.We use to have lots of fun.We tried cooking food sometimes for which we will collect things from house.Always I am responsible to steal papads from my home.Though the food cooked were tasteless we really had fun of sharing and eating.
    There was a house next door filled with dry hays to feed there cattles for milk as that was there occupation.We use to jump from our terrace to the bundles though we get scoldings we never bothered.One of the best time is we gather together to play games like TRADE,RAJA RANI,POLICE THIRUDAN etc. I still remember my mom giving me 2 Rs for me to learn cycle from myfriend.1 Re for hiring cycle and 1 Re commission for him to teach me.But I was scary as I fell down few times and hence I allowed my friend to have rids and sit down with a lolly pop watching him.This how my cycling classes was going on.Later my mom found my criminal activities and stopped giving us those huge amount 2 Rs .Now my friend is an owner of BMW car and me still don't know to drive a cycle to :hide:.
    Though my dad gets me the best brand notebooks from vijaya store (best store named for its quality) . I loved getting those oosi 5 Rs ruled note from the temple near by during pooja times, for that I had to wake up early run to get tokens with my friends.During April month its a big task to control us by our parents as the great festival 63-var was celebrated in famous mylapore temple .We wander street by street to collect biscuits to dump inside our big box.This is called team work:bonk its not the matter to get biscuits but its all the fun and enjoyment we had.
    Those power cut hours were best hours as we all families gather together to have good time on terrace.Nothing can sound horrible when we shout when the current comes.Now a days though we have often power cuts we sit inside home feeling jealous that they have inverter,they have generator etc...

I heard my mom calling me for dinner hence I paused my memories and came downstairs.Those 8 walls gave me good times during my childhood than this 24 walls now.Thank God there was No Facebook, No Mobiles, No DSL, No SLR, No Laptops to ruin our childhood.Recent days before the baby reaches home they are on the walls of there parents (I meant the pictures in FB)

Finally I felt happy, though our happy moments or not captured they are framed in my memories.I now found what was missing in that kid's house ?.
    And I wished I spend my lovely time with my kid in future to give the LIVELY LIFE which that baby was missing.I am unsure how my future is going to be but made up mind to give the best so that they also will have there nostalgic evening like me.

"CHILDHOOD THE BEST PART OF HUMAN LIFE and off course I felt sorry for the poor mom whom I met that evening also for the kid .

NOW CAN YOU TELL ME WHO IS LUCKY :) ??? .

Thank you friends in advance.:thankyou2:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
    25 people like this.

2. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Beautifully written CB.

Nostalgic very much and I could recollect my own school days. It is also scary at the same time to realize what the kids these days are missing in the so called gadget filled life.

All the games they do play but on a gadget - sorry to accept the truth that they aren't lucky as the previous generation.

Time parents realize and bring in changes required to give what the child really needs and not demonstrate their buying power.

2 people like this.
  3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Charmabez,

A very good one.

Every word you wrote is true. I pity the kid and frustrated with the parents. Kids want time with parents and not with gadgets. I also pity the parents in a way and and kids another way way.Parents for losing and sharing moments with the child (they love him/her, no doubt about it) which would be forever in their mind and child's mind forever however big they may grow. Kids crave for attention, time and togetherness and sharing of so many things happening in their little world of school or their curiousity about the world or things, their doubts in mind, laughing and giggling with mom or dad and on and on. Dad says "I am busy. Play on your own (they have bought loads and loads of toys and gadgets)" and in reality dad would be fiddling with latest football scores and mom also would be busy on the PC with on line shopping for the kid, herself and for home. Before doing shopping online she has to browse a lot for the latest dresses or shoes or gadgets or whatever it is to be. Makes the child to think that she is too busy.These are not my imagination...everything I have seen.

I was in London for a while in recent times..seen parents with kids in Park...kids playing with other kids. Moms and dads with their blackberry or mobile in hand talking or browsing with something. When the child comes running to them to show that he can slide on his own or swing or parallel bars only 50% of their mind is on what the child is saying and other 50% on what they are doing on mobile or Blackberry. Kids are intelligent...they can sense between half attention and full attention.

When they grow up they also learn how to spend time with gadgets only and do not crave for parental attention and afterword when the parents want to advise them why would they listen? They would not. I do not mean to say that they hate each other, they do love but want to have their life in their circle.

I used to think that buying these costly toys or gadgets is "working mother's guilt" but no, they want to have their own time with their mobiles or PCs. What is the point in counting how many "Likes" they received on Facebook on their kids pictures?

Why do we remember our parents though we were sans with all these toys? The time spent together with beautiful memories.

It is like a wake up call. In India we have not gone up to that level yet but soon reaching that point.

Long FB....I am also really frustrated over the whole thing.

I am nominating it for August.

Thank you.

Syamala

5 people like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Charmbabez,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful feelings and thoughts of yours. I also feel that domination of gadgets is really ruining the interaction skills of children and parents spent less and less time with their children due to their preoccupation with laptop, internet, smartphones and so on. It is very important for children to learn to play with other children. That is how they learn interaction with fellow beings, team building, conflict resolution, caring and sharing, competitive skills, etc.

Nowadays, children have access to internet and it gives unlimited access to information which is a good thing. At the same time, they could also access things that is not conducive for their development and growth. They could be a prey for someone who is trying to lure children online. I believe access to gadgets should be limited to the children and parents should have very good control over it.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  5. sripree

sripree Gold IL'ite

Wow nice to meet a fellow mylaporean and get reminded of all the same childhood memories!!!!

1 person likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Charmbabez,

I am sorry for writing this second response. You and I think a lot on the same subjects. I am giving below a link to one of my blogs for you to read:

Teaching morals to children in the modern age - Blogs - IndusLadies

If children feel deprived when other children have access to gadgets, the best way to compromise is to let them use the gadgets but for good use as mentioned in this blog. I hope you find this blog useful.

Viswa

7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Moderator,
    Please delete one of my FB's. Same problem..internet got disconnected when I typed Post and I could not find it when Internet resumed. So, typed the whole thing again. I do not know how to delete. tried cancel but it is not disappearing. Please help.

Syamal

8. vsharma

vsharma Platinum IL'ite

Lovely write up and reminded me of my school days. It was almost same like urs :) We used to play hide and seek and w/o anyone permission we hide in any house in the street. Kalla (Stone) manna(sand) so many games we used to have so much fun. I have 2 year old son and luckily we havent put him habit of playing with computer or mobiles, he doesnt even watch tv. We keep him busy with all his toys/books.

1 person likes this.
  9. Angellic

Angellic IL Hall of Fame

hey CB,

Wonderful write up...

you know, its exam time running here for the kids...yesterday one of ma students was saying..."Ma'am you r so lucky, you don't have to study anything...you take my place and i will take yours...I said "i'm ready if god grant me such a wish..."

i'm longing so badly to go back to my childhood days...and this kid wanna take my life...now what to say...i think its human tendency urging for something which we don't have or cant have...

Ur post took me back to my childhood days...hmm! i'm missing it :(

who is lucky...i think, kids are the luckiest no matter which generation they belongs to...

With love,
    Angellic :)

3 people like this.
  10. Deepu04

Deepu04 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Charm.... Fabulous post yaar... Am longing to have those wonderful days in my life yaar... Missing those days... agree with you about Nowadays Kids play only with gadgets...

1 person likes this.