1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Astrology a boon or curse

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by swathiiyer, Aug 1, 2013.

1. swathiiyer

swathiiyer Silver IL'ite

Numerology, palm reading and astrology... How much to believe in all this and where to draw a line..

My mom always used to say " if Im alive tomorrow will do this" or " will prepare and give you this". Never used to like whenever she used to say this... My mom had in her younger days, shown her hand to an astrologer and he had told her, she has a "gandam" in her fifties.. If she pass this she will live till seventy.

But she somehow believed that she will die in her fifties... She always used to say " naan vegama poyviduven" ( I will die early). Need to see your marriage and delivery before I close my eyes... I on the other hand used to get irritated.. She tried her best to see me married but as they say, things will happen when they are destined to..

As per her belief, I lost my mother that too in her fifties and just three months before my marriage..

Now my thought again, does astrology and palm reading impact our life... Should we believe in this..

I being the daughter of my mother, you know the same blood, too believed in astrology and palm reading.. Even today I wait for sundays Times of India to read Bejan Daruwala's zodiac signs. When I was in my teenage days, I used to believe so much that in functions, I would directly go to my eldermost mama and ask him to read my palm... On several ocassions he would just give me some excuse and will not read, but one day with my continous persistence he told me some things..

The foremost thing what he told me was I will become a business women since I wont like working under some one.. I didnt accept this becoz, I was eager to go out and work since my mom was a working women.. But he kept on telling this that you will be a business women.

Immediately after my graduation, I went to work and I worked for two years.. In between this my mom expired and I got married... Relocated to Bangalore where I never got the kind of work I was searching... Then came pregancy and delivery.. And I going to work became a distant dream..

But to do something gave me the idea of selling materials from home... Have been doing this for the last four years now.. And is making me to think, what my mama told me several years back have come true..

So now again the same question.... How much and to what extent should we believe...

Love
    Swathi

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
    6 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Swathi dear welcome to IL and also to snippets. Your first post itself is thought provoking. I will come back with my fb later. I always want to be the first so reserved my place here

2 people like this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Swathi, I certainly believe in one thing astrology told me. It said "money will be flowing through your hands". It did not say whose money. So BH earns and it flows through my hands to others who receive it. :rotfl

Did you hear of the young man who was told that he would drive all the flashiest cars in the world? He became the driver of all of Osho's Rolls Royces and after his death took up a position with a leading industrialist here. :biggrin2:

Now seriously speaking, astrology is a science and like any science needs a lot of precision and skill. So the accuracy of predictions depends on the accuracy with which the time of birth is recorded and the skill and knowledge of the practitioner. And finally I have heard astrology was cursed by Shiva who told his son "Your astrology be cursed. 50% will be true and 50% false". This because Karthikeya told Shiva the latter would beg for a living. So that being the case, one might as well toss a coin to determine the answer to any problem. Particularly when it comes to match-making, I do not like the idea of matching horoscopes because many good prospectives are dropped based on a piece of paper and finally even with the best matched horoscopes marriages do often run into deep trouble. May be matching the horoscopes of prospective mil and dil would be a good idea, what say?

7 people like this.
  4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Satchi dear that was a superb fb on astrology

1 person likes this.
  5. swathiiyer

swathiiyer Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the appreciate reply vijima :thankyou2:... Will wait for your feedback..

Love
    Swathi

1 person likes this.
  6. swathiiyer

swathiiyer Silver IL'ite

Hi Satchi
    Thanks for the super best reply... Your reply covers so many angles. You have given a hillarious angle :rotfl to astrology where u have mentioned how the astroger told you that " money will be flowing through your hands"... A good one.. Enjoyed it.. Then you came up with the scientific angel explaining how astrology depends on the skill and knowledge of the practitioner. Truely agree with you on this angle and then you also gave us an insight from our vedas by explaining how astrology was cursed by Lord Shiva...

And the last part of matching horoscopes.. I truly and firmly believe what you said... Even I have seen marriages getting broken, husband dying at young age and many more even after the horoscope being fully matched before marriage. On the other hand, I have seen couples happily married without any horoscope match..e.g Myself..( Ours is a love marriage without horoscope match)

Love
    Swathi

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
    2 people like this.
  7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

ASstrology is neither boon nor a curse. It is plain fraud perpetrated on gullible by a bunch of stargazers out to mint money at someone else's expense.

3 people like this.
  8. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

Hi

Twice I tried to post reply and was thrown out of the site and then when I logged in could not find this thread. Whew that was yesterday. The worst part is whatever is typed is also wiped out and we have to type all over again. Wish there was save draft option :D

Well I would say it all depends on the interpretation. Nowadays people start learning and making predictions. A great deal of knowledge is required to predict events correctly. Also human intent "thought" matters. That can change the course of events, hence they say "free will"

If astrologer says something good, it can work out only if one puts in the proper energy "thought" and work hard. Some people put in extra effort when astrologer tells something nice and hence the output is nice. Whereas some will stop putting in energy thinking this is there in their kundli and they will receive it no matter what. In that case, output is not seen and we can hear those people blaming their astrologer.

Regarding kundli matching I think the only thing to be seen is that there is no loss of life of spouse/parents/progeny like in nadi dosh. Again that is a matter of interpretation and the astrologer may be wrong in his/her interpretation of the charts. Also it is said that when human intent is strong to make the marriage work it will work even if the kundlis don't match.

So all in all you can say that one can use astrology as a baseline but not forget to put in the effort required to make good things happen :D

2 people like this.
  9. crazyqueen

crazyqueen Silver IL'ite

HiSwathi..
    ur post is really nice and that need to be discussed...
    I personally not much interested in astrology. I'm nuetral to it.
    But one thing I believe is that, the world response to ur thoughts. I strongly believe that "u r what u think".
    so mom always had the belief that she will die in her fifties and it happend. On the other hand if she had believed that She will pass this "gandam" of fifties and live till 70, that would have happen.
    This is very well illustrated in the books "The secret","Power" and "Magic" by Rhonda bryne.
    If u r interested U can read these books. The Secret is also available as video.

1 person likes this.
  10. crazyqueen

crazyqueen Silver IL'ite

@Superwoman
    Same thing happened to me.. But luckily, I always type in a notepad and then just copy paste it here.. so my contents dont go off.. I have it my notepad