1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My dream house

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SGBV, Jul 29, 2013.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I was born to an average middle class parents, but never lived in a rental house when I was with my parents.

My dad always kept us protected under his wings, and made sure that we own the house wherever we were. Its been 2 to 3 places where we had to move and settle our lives, but everywhere we had our own home.

However, my marriage made me seek refuge in rental homes, since my PILs never owned a home before. Knowing this, my dad decided to offer one of his houses to us as dowry, so that I can continue to enjoy living in my own home.

In laws accepted; hence the house was written into "our name" following our marriage, but again a twist came. In laws' didn't like the vastu of that house; hence wanted us to sell it and buy a new one as per the correct vastu.:drowning

Being Christians, we know nothing about vastu, so accepted their Hindu philosophy of applying Vastu - Thus we sold the home and kept the money in FD in order to buy/build a new one.

Meanwhile I was transferred to a new job abroad; hence there was no need to rush for a new home, we decided. Hubby kept the money in our joint AC, and we continued our career in different places, successfully for 2 years. :thumbsup

When the time came for me to return home, and plan a family, I decided to think of new homes since I wanted to start my new life in a new home, own home. My destiny gave me a shock treatment, as all I could hear from my hubby was that our joint FD jumped to FIL's savings account, unknowingly.:bonk
    That too only half the money remains, the rest was invested into a very tiny house and some jewels for MIL. Furious me asked the reason, and all what I could hear was that "FIL took it as he needs dowry, and it is our duty to pay dowry during marriage".

The drama ended with so much of unwanted and unexpected twists... I left my husband while i was pregnant, and left my rental home to seek refuge in my mom's home. The first time in my life, I felt I am homeless.

Being born to a dad, who always wanted his children to live in their own home, I ended up giving birth to my first child in someone else's home. Raised him in rental homes, that too with minimal facilities, as I could not bear the excess rent that time to afford a normal house.

My dream of having my own home became so huge, and I badly wanted to build that one for my loving son.

An year later, when we decided to reconcile, and I too became capable of living my own without having to depend on others, I planned to build a home.

My husband, despite being support both financially and physically for this matter, discouraged me several times.

First of all, he didnt want to see me successful in front of his own folks, as they wished only failure upon us.
    But, I managed to buy a land just in front of my in law's tiny house for my dream home.

Starting from the purchase of land, to the process of building a home, I had enough of everything. But I didn't withdraw my plans for anyone/anything.

My once bad husband, turned out to be a supportive husband in the meantime. He too wished his son to enjoy his own home sooner. He helped me, not financially but physically big time. I was happy as the process went up smoothly.

As time passes, the spineless man of mine turned bitter, and helpless, but danced as per the tunes of his parents without knowing what actually they are expecting. I wouldn't complain as this was my husband's cunning nature, but it was his ignorance which they used.

I trusted my husband, and left the entire work on to him as I became pregnant for the second time, hence could not concentrate everything all alone. Meanwhile, my job also forced me to relocate to another duty station, from where it has become too difficult to monitor the construction works.

My in laws took this for granted, and hence played my husband's innocence as per their demands.

Contractors were changed, and new ones were appointed without my knowledge
    The house plan was changed, and unwanted but expensive materials were used
    Several times the bricks and stones were removed and new ones were purchased for nothing
    When I returned after sometimes, I could only see the house as the same as I left before, but the cost was almost double with no effects.

My husband had reasons, again Vastu being a bigger one. Contractor were blamed for bribing, and misleading, but frankly I could not understand anything there.

When I reached my 6th month of pregnancy, I felt extremely bad for not being able to deliver at least my second kid in her own home. Despite of earning too high, and having a high profile life, I felt worthless since none of my basic dreams ever come true in this life.

I rehired contractors, and asked them to stick to their plans. My husband would either black mail me, or end up having a long face if I do not accept his demands for the house. But he never shares even a penny for it.

I was nervous as I felt I would not complete the home before delivery.

Every now and then he comes up with strange new plans, that makes the older plan to revise, meaning destroying the structure to have it build newly. Causing additional money, and losing what has been already spent. He trusted his parents, trusted their ideas as the right ones, and never imagined that they could cause us loss.

My fear made me strong this time, I had a very open talk with hubby, saying that he has two choice
    1) To live and help us having a own home
    2) To leave, and help his parents's dream come true

He learnt a lesson this time, found the tough me this time, and decided to stand by me.

With his silence, and with the level headed new contractor, I managed to complete my home, Thanks to God.

My in laws tried all the possible means to make it as a failure, but at the end they lost their own loving son big time.

I have just one more month to deliver my daughter... But we are planning to move into our new home just before the delivery time.:thumbsup

Having a own home was my dream, and I made my dream come true despite of various issues caused by in laws.

I have spent million dollars to build this 4 story house as our dream house, and all the money invested in it was my hard earned money. I bared all the tensions and fights together with my pregnancy discomforts.
    I received zero support from my husband, but a lot of head ache and heart ache because of his ignorance

I had to take up different painful trips to abroad, and other duty stations while being pregnant, and it was my mom who took care of my little son during all these while, being a moral support for me.

I dedicate this home to my little son Aron, who sacrificed a big share of his mom at the age of 2.5 yrs whenever I suffer depression and forced to work in other duty stations. He missed me big time.

Had he demanded me otherwise, I wouldn't be able to stick to my work, hence monetary wise we would have suffered big time.

The house is done, and looking forward to a huge house warming soon:thumbsup

40 people like this.

2. AmmyS

AmmyS Senior IL'ite

Dear SGBV,

Hats off to your perseverance!! Your determination paid off. Have a safe delivery and a healthy baby!!

2 people like this.
  3. Hopefully

Hopefully Gold IL'ite

You have proved that "Tough times don't last but tough people Do".
    Congrats on your Victory and Wish you the best years ahead.

1 person likes this.
  4. plakshmi

plakshmi Gold IL'ite

HI

DOUBLE CONGRATS - for home, and your 2nd child. my hugs to your son.

lakshmi

2 people like this.
  5. luckyme

luckyme Silver IL'ite

Congrats dear...for both ...the house and the new comer who is goin to make it warm and cozy

God bless

1 person likes this.
  6. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

I maybe sounding too negative in here, Pls forgive me for that. But I don't think it was a good idea to settle down in front of your in law's house.

How do I know so well ? Its déjà vu :)

2 people like this.
  7. shireesha06

shireesha06 Silver IL'ite

Congratulations dear .........Have a happy healthy second baby...

8. FreeSpirit20

FreeSpirit20 Platinum IL'ite

Hey SGBV, have followed your threads and I'm very happy to hear about your dream come true. Many many congratulations and I'm sure your home will bring many more good news for you. :)

1 person likes this.
  9. NirmalaGoofy

NirmalaGoofy Gold IL'ite

Congratulations on your Dream home. Agree with JustAnotherMom. Settling in front of your in laws..?

1 person likes this.
  10. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

hats off and congrats on achivement your life time goal..

1 person likes this.