1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Of Death

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ojaantrik, Jun 23, 2013.

1. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Having failed, miserably I am afraid, to discover a Guru adept in the art of blowing one’s own horn, I have been fortunate enough to be spared by vicious thoughts concerning whether my absence from IL has been noticed anymore than my presence. That does not mean, however, that I have been biding my time like that “fat weed / That roots itself in ease on Lethe wharf”. Quite to the contrary in fact, the part of my brain that is responsible for inspiring fearful portends about the near and distant future has been super active. In short, I am scared to death.

Interesting you know. The word “death” I mean. For it is death, or at least Lady Death, that I wish to pontificate on. And should you feel inquisitive, let me go straight on to the heart, or possibly “heart-attack” of it. Not too long ago, I discovered that “Death” was a woman and continues to be so. And, to the best of my knowledge, IL is (over-) populated by females. Even a person of Cheeniya’s eminence will not deny the veracity of this claim. The claim I mean, that there are more women than men in his favourite e-haunt. But even he wouldn’t be too sure if this particular lady has begun to blog at his “can’t live without you” site. Worrisome this! Attempting to live without death in the company of Lady Death appears to me to be a contradiction of sorts. But then Cheeniya could well be Lady Death herself, dancing merrily in the guise of Cheeniya.

Now if this doesn’t sound threatening to you, you are supremely courageous in my opinion. May you live forever, which as you know, most probably you won’t. I mean I am not absolutely certain whether you will end up defying mortality, nothing on earth being a purely non-stochastic event. Who knows, it may be the western horizon that will witness sunrise tomorrow and time begin to travel backwards. Can’t rule out the possibility, can you?

Don’t begin to blame me. Like you, till a few mornings ago, I too used to believe that the world of Death was governed by a bull or whatever riding male God called Yama. Not Indian mythology alone, the Greeks too assigned the function to a guy called Pluto, didn’t they? That’s the way it’s always been. Females create life and males destroy, or at least most of them do. And then I suddenly come across this lady called Mrityu. I stretched my imagination to its limits, exercised my brain till it really began to hurt and the only conclusion I could come to was that while Yama is Lord of Death, Mrityu is Death itself. Not that this distinction helped me a great deal, weak brained that I am.

But where on earth, you may well ask me, did I come up with such revelations? And fortunately, I will not confuse you here. I discovered this Lady in the Mahabharata. The Lady shows up in the Dronaparva of the epic, which happens to have been covered in Volumes 21 and 22 of the version I possess. Pretty heavy, this set I purchased in a moment of weakness. Two bagfuls of it that I had to carry back home from the Book Fair. But I am digressing.

Actually, the Lady in question does not appear in person in the battle ground, but she is referred to soon after Avimanyu is killed and Yudhishthira begins to lament lugubriously as was his wont. In fact the decibels he reached were so high pitched that they woke up Vyasdeva himself from wherever he was hiding and made him fly down to Yudhishthira’s immediate neighbourhood. Having been the creator of the original mischief, the Mahabharata itself I mean, he had to make amends I suppose. He began to soothe his great great great grandson or whatever, but Y was not to be appeased. Instead Y kept on yelling “Why?” and “Why?” again till his throat was so parched that he had to fall silent. Or, almost so, for he did manage to speak out a full sentence towards the end of his monosyllabic shrieking and the sentence in question was a question itself. “Why,” he asked, “does one of the two equally strong persons die when they vow to fight until death?” A pretty dumb question if you ask me. I never tried to fight with anyone till death. I don't possess the desire to identify who killed me, especially if I have the choice not to be killed.

No one really asked simple questions those days. Unless you added a dash of philosophy to your quest for knowledge, you would be ignored lock, stock and barrel. So, he argued that, since in his opinion, it was impossible for one of two equally skilled warriors to kill the other, there must be a third person involved in the event. Who then is the real killer?

V-deva was made up of “sterner stuff” than crybaby Y of course, so he quickly spun a tale, a footnote of sorts, to the Avimanyu episode. In classic Hindu fashion therefore he went backwards in time in search of the ultimate thruth. Long, long ago and that means really very long ago, for Avimanyu had just passed away at the time this tale unfolded. Cheeniya might know better of course, but I have this strong suspicion that neither he nor I had arrived yet on earth. Well, it seems there was a rather ambitious king called Akampan. He fought many battles but was ultimately subdued by his enemies. Worse, during the battle he lost a favourite son called Hari, a son who was learned, intelligent and physically as strong as Lord Indra himself. Nonetheless, Avimanyu like, he was surrounded by enemy forces and destroyed.

King Akampan perfomed the last rites for his son, but his heart had been torn asunder as was evident from the woebegone expression he wore on his face. And as is always the case on such occasions (I mean occasions relevant for guys such as Akampan, not for you and me), Devarshi Narada appeared with a song or two to help Akampan rise up from his depth of depression. And Akampan too, like Yudhishthira had a hard question ready for the Devarshi. But his question was simple too, grammatically speaking I mean. “Who is Death, ” he wanted to know. “Who?” mind you, not “What?” A personification was built into the question. A’s query was only a micro-millimeter away from Y’s and Narada, according to V-deva, was as unmoved by the question as the Rock of Gibraltar. This means, according to V-deva at least, that he came up with yet another story. There was this story within the story you see. This is turning into a telescoping story series I think and if you have lost count of the number of stories by now, I can’t help you out. My arithmetic has never been my strong point. (According to my wife, she will have people recommend me for the Fields Medal, if I could solve the problem 1+1 = ?) Besides, unless you have forgotten by now where I had started, let me remind you that like a Dostoyevsky character, I have been communicating with you immersed in what appears to be a brain fever.

Narada takes us further back in time, pretty close to the big bang event now, and stand face to face with Brahma himself. It appears that Brahma was mighty angry with himself after creating life. And, believe it or not, he was angry because he had created life at the height of his potency, but felt totally impotent when it came to the question of its destruction! Why this should displease him is a question that will crop up later on of course, but for the time being, his anger took the shape of violent flames that emanated from his nostrils and ears. Being endowed with several heads, this meant several nostrils and ears and a lot of firework. It began to devour all creation, which is a bit of a contradiction it seems to me. This chap had just told us that he was incapable of causing death. Don’t trust these Brahma type guys, Cheeniya included. Few artists to my knowledge wish to destroy their work unless there is a dearth of art collectors willing to pay through their noses to purchase them. (But these collectors are always hiding round the corner with their fat purses. I know this, since I didn’t see why I should have purchased Picasso’s Weeping Woman, but P didn’t destroy the painting.

weepingwoman.jpg

Here is a quick view of it, should you wish to make a bid.) Anyway, Brahma, we must assume, was not concerned about the marketability of his produce.

This Brahma rage induced fire therefore was devouring up all living beings and it would appear that Brahma’s problem was thereby solved. But that was not to be. For it was now Mahadeva’s turn to show up. I have noticed that he has this tendency to meddle in other people’s affairs ever since the beginning of eternity (or even earlier for all I know) and he began to prevail upon Brahma to bring the fire under control and asking why on earth was Brahma engaging in this strange exercise in the first place. And you know what Brahma had to reply? He said that Mother Earth had apparently been complaining. This growing body of living beings was creating extra weight for her to bear everyday and she was probably slipping away from the orbit selected for her by the solar system. “This is too heavy a weight to bear,” she complained petulantly and since Brahma couldn’t find a quick solution to the problem, this all consuming fire began to emanate as you should know by now, unless you have fallen asleep.

Anyway, Mahadeva finally prevailed upon Brahma to control his fire and this was no easy job as you can well imagine. Such devastating holocausts are not easy to wish away and Brahma therefore metamorphosed the fire into a woman who emerged out of his nostrils or wherever there were escape routes in his sense organs. Her skin was a mixture of dark and red, her eyes and tongue were of the colour of blood. She wore earrings and other ornaments whose texture resembled molten gold. Having made her appearance, she smiled slightly and went and took her position to the right of the two lords. B and M that is, if you have lost track. No leftist she was.

Upon which, Brahma commanded her, addressing her as Mrityou, to begin to destroy all living beings, idiots and learned included. No, no, this is no joke. For this is a part of what Brahma told her: tasmat samhara sarbastwom projah sajadapanditah! Do this, for this alone will bring you salvation. The lotus eyed Lady, to be fair to her, was most disturbed to carry out Brahma’s wishes and began to weep in the sweetest of voices. I doubt that she resembled Picasso’s Weeping Woman at this stage of her existence.

And Brahma extended his palms to collect her tears before gravity could intervene. The weeping woman pleaded with Brahma, but Brahma was unrelenting. “I have created you for this purpose and this alone will be your path to virtue.”

The lady was somewhat adamant though and questioned why she should be made the cause of sorrow for human kind, since no one is pleased to die or witness the death of his or her kin. And then she disappeared into Dhenuka Muni’s ashrama (no, I don’t know him or his address) and began to perform severe penance standing it seems on one leg for millions of years. Literally so. Add or subtract a month or two. She tortured herself in several other ways too and at one point survived on air and water alone. The exercise turned her into a thin and emaciated shadow of her earlier self and Brahma reappeared of course and asked her why she was hurting herself so. And her reply was the same as what she had said earlier. She was unwilling to kill or visit Yama’s abode. They didn’t tell us what Yama’s response to this last bit was.

Finally Brahma assured her that she will not really be required to kill. It will be her teardrops (which Brahma still possessed) that will assume the shape of illnesses as well as mean human qualities. And these will be the killers, not really she. And in any case, Brahma assured her that no sin will visit her anyway, since it was Brahma who had ordained her to kill.

Well this exactly is not where the stories end, there are a few other embellishments that I left out, but the important point to note is that both Akampan and Yudhshthira found back their peace of mind (or pieces of minds, don’t know which) to hear the tales in reverse order. Akampan was older than Y you see, so the reverse order was natural.

Even though these people ended up happily for the rest of their lives, I am suddenly worried. If this woman is the ultimate killer, I wish she is not hiding in a crowd with intentions that are not exactly the best as far as my interests are concerned. Also, tear shedding women have ceased to arouse my sympathy.

As I said, I am scared to death.

Of death.

11 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

OJ da dear as always I came here to give the first fb. But now I will wait for others to give their fb. How are you , I missed you here. Recently I had cataract operation and now the world is looking bright and beautiful.

1 person likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear OJ da
    First of all a welcome drink to you! Looks like you have been able to break into this Padma Vyuh. Good for us! I'll come back with a detailed reply as Lady Death!
    Sri

4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear OJ-da,

So today one mystery has been solved. Your absence has not gone unnoticed. I was wondering where you had vanished suddenly and now I know it was the book fair and the volumes 21 and 22 of the Mahabharata which are to blame. See? I have read the whole write up in great details.

Though I must admit, as usual I do find our Indian mythology more than a trifle too complicated. As for the gender determination of death, isn't death in Western belief a male - the solitary reaper? So we are still left with this mystery. How does death change her gender when she goes west and then change back to a woman when he comes back to the eastern hemisphere?

As for the presence of death amongst the members here, don't worry. The moderators are sitting ready to weed her out - no one will allow her to touch you. So please feel free to come and continue to write regularly here. :-D

7 people like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Sri Ojaantrik:

What a remarkable appearance with a big bang after disappearing for a few days. No, I am not talking about the lady of death but about you. Now you have company in me of people who will not relent for the tears shed by the women. Your eloquent references more than proved that the person responsible for death is, in fact, a lady, if collective experiences of all men didn't (pun intended with no offense to any ILites). Now, I am beginning to understand why learned people called the drop of tears as the greatest weapon in the world.

When people like Yudhistra could cry for the loss of Abhimanyu, it does not surprise when men and women wail for the loss of kith and kin. Even Arjuna refused to fight all his relatives and the Lord will have to intervene to tell him that there is never a time when we all did not exist meaning that what dies is only the body and the soul continue to live. I think all that drama in Mahabharatha is intended for us to learn some lessons and that is the only explanation I get for the righteousness personified behaving the way he did after Abhimanu's death.

Your post reminded me of a You Tube movie on Adi Sankara (made in Sanskrit with subtitle in English) that I watched a few years ago. When he was initiated to Brahmacharya, he noticed that Jyana was sitting and listening to all of his initiation. Later he also gets another friend called Mrityu and both stays with him when he traveled all over India propagating the Advaita Philosophy. As we all know, Adi Sankara died at a very young age of 32. In the last scene of this movie, Adi Sankara asks his friend Jnana, "Will you remain always with me?" and he responds, "Yes. I will always be with you". Then Adi Sankara goes and embraces his friend Mrityu indicating that as long as the knowledge remains, embracing death is never a problem.

Viswa

6 people like this.
  6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

OJ welcome back. Yama rides a buffalo and not a bull. It is Shiva, also in the business of destruction, who rides the bull. But I do hope Lady D (Death not Diana) has not sent Yama to join the queue before an employment exchange. BTW, Greek God of death is Hades and that of Romans Pluto, who also moonlights as the god of wealth. (See how wealth and death are intertwined!)

7 people like this.
  7. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

helooo Kaku..
    it was so great to open snippets and find you here after ages.. and was rather taken back by the title.."death" and this had me wondering before I started reading with abated breath hoping not to read of any untoward news..
    any ways so Mahabharat series is keeping you away from us and "madam mrityu" seems to have drawn you back here.. so all I can say is that I shall welcome her with open arms if that is what it takes to see a glance of you here!!!( not literally ofcourse!!)
    Also, tear shedding women have ceased to arouse my sympathy.
    these words have caused me pain as for all women universally our teary pearly eyes are our biggest defense and our most pwerful offensive missiles .. how can you ever do this to the women of the world!!!.. Hopefully you shall not influence any other male species with this corrupted statement!!!
    Pleasure reading your narratives as always.. full of information which I wouldn't other wise possess!!
    Kerman

5 people like this.
  8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear OJ
    Whenever you come back to the site after a pretty long furlough and post something new, it has always been my practice to read it in one breath but I must admit my failure this time. My rapidly advancing years have their toll on the capacity of my lung. There was a time in my life when I could blow a cycle tube with my mouth to such a capacity that a pachyderm could ride it in total comfort. But now I can’t even blow my own trumpet to produce a sound audible enough for my own ears! Secondly I forgot one important difference between you and me. While I have starting trouble, you have stopping trouble and that again made this reading in one single breath beyond my reach. Having said this, I must also admit that you have the singular knack of keeping our interest alive and aflame throughout the narration notwithstanding its size. A hearty welcome to Snippets buddy! May your future Snippets keep on growing in size like the tail of Anjaneya!

It is rather strange that there have been frequent discussions in IL of late on this inevitable conclusion of human life. Different people have touched on the different aspects of Death here but no one has ever ventured to discuss the gender of Death and there lies your uniqueness. Is death a man or woman? There are extremely strong arguments in favour of both. In some cultures, death is predominantly feminine. There is an interesting story as retold by Somerset Maugham in The Appointment in Samarra which was later adopted by John O’Hara as title for his first novel. The story is narrated by Death herself:
    There was a merchant in Bagdad who sent his servant to market to buy provisions and in a little while the servant came back, white and trembling, and said, ”Master, just now when I was in the marketplace I was jostled by a woman in the crowd and when I turned I saw it was Death that jostled me. She looked at me and made a threatening gesture. Now, lend me your horse, and I will ride away from this city and avoid my fate. I will go to Samarra and there Death will not find me”. The merchant lent him his horse, and the servant mounted it, and he dug his spurs in its flanks and as fast as the horse could gallop he went. Then the merchant went down to the marketplace and he saw me (Death) standing in the crowd and he came to me and said, “Why did you make a threatening gesture to my servant when you saw him this morning?” “That was not a threatening gesture”, I said, “it was only a start of surprise. I was astonished to see him in Bagdad, for I had an appointment with him tonight in Samarra”.

It is interesting that all the rivers of India with the exception of Brahmaputra, bear female names. They sustain all the life in our subcontinent but when they get provoked, they do not hesitate even to kill mercilessly as we see in the Himalayan Tsunami. Trains and other vehicles which are another great source of death are referred to in the feminine in Hindi as there is no neutral gender in this language. In Hinduism, sleep is referred to as ‘Nidhra Devi’ (Goddess of Sleep). I should presume that Eternal Sleep must be feminine too.

Oh, I have so much to talk about this awesome subject and by adding the gender angle to it, you have made my head go on a top spin. Now I can’t think of anything else for days and days to come!
    Sri

7 people like this.
  9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear OJ,

Firstly welcome my friend, welcome, the snipper were lonely and bare without u. Even Balaji did the disappearing act, and it was difficult for me to fill in these big shoes left by u two.

and now u tell us death is a lady,a nd since cheeniya is surrounded by pretty ones, i mean the i lites, dontu think cheeniya is surrounded by lady Death herself, instead of he being death in disguise ? HAHA

My dad was not scared of death, and he used to talk about death coming to him anytime, that it bored us to death.

Me too not scared of death, let it come, i have to go one day, so be it. and i want to leave no legacy, just disappear as though i had not ever appeared here. i see those broken statues, of dogs urinating on nameplates of roads, etc, so i dont want any of those.

Superb one OJ, way too deep for me, but a good one. Do write more frequently, for as they say, use it or lose it, so use the abilty to write, or u lose it over time.

Welcome once again and lovely talking to u dear friend.

Regards

kamal

5 people like this.
  10. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pashenka,

Sorry about this delay in responding. It's sweet of you to find pleasure in posting the first fb to posts. It makes the bloggers feel wanted. Even if no one else exists, Pashenka does, I tell myself. As the world grows into an increasingly lonely place to live in, assurances from a person such as you lifts the gloom and fills up my abode with sunshine. Keep well good friend and spread your message the way you do.

Love.

oj-da

2 people like this.