1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Himalyan Tsunami

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

The Himalyan Tsunami​

We all know what has happened, the loss of so many lives. What they are saying is just the tip of the iceberg, I feel more than 50,000 may have died, given that besides tourists, the locals have been washed away.

Videos are coming in, of cars and houses and temples been washed away, and u just don’t know what to say to this unfortunate tragedy.

A couple from my street has died too, and there has been a lot of crying and mourning all around. Now I am coming to a point, which may be controversial but which I have believed over many years, but my beliefs are mine alone, but be patient and hear me out, even if u don’t agree with me .

There are two kinds of people, some who don’t believe in god at all, so we leave them out of the discussions. We now come to those who believe in God, some who go to places of worship to see the Gods in their natural abode, like the 4 Dhams, and like Rishikesh, Tirupati Balaji , And to places of living gurls like Satya Sai Baba, Asharam Bapu etc.

And there are guys like me, who will not go to a temple, under any circumstances, even if u pay me a million dollors. I am too lazy to move my butt, even in the city. So going out of the city, is out of the question. Even when I was to be operated for cancer, a major 8 hour operation, I did not go to any temple in Mumbai. I am fine now, I don’t think the gods are unhappy with me for not bowing down before them. I believe in god, but not going to temples. I just pray, and I feel he is there in front of me, we talk, bathroom is the best place, where I on the faucet, and talk to him, so no one outside the bathroom can hear me blabbering. He listens to me, and gives me what I deserve, not necessarily what I desire.

And these days I am scared of going to places where there is too much of a crowd, bcs of bomb blasts at these places, like the 2008 jaipur blasts at the temples here. The stampede at the kumb mela too scares me. These mountains where oxygen is less, the climbs are steep, u dare not look out of the car window, where u need local drivers who know the steep roads.

So when people go to pilgrimages, don’t they incur an extra risk ? Someone told me, even flying by plane is a risk, but that is unavoidable and this is applicable to all. U can fall on a banana peel on the road, be hit by a vehicle, but then those risks are not only on me, but for everyone.

But going to pilgrimages, and crowded places, u are incurring extra risks. I have heard, I think at Vaishno devi, there is military armed to the teeth, to save u from terrorist attacks, so u are risking the terrorists, and the weather too, less oxygen and all that. And this month of june there are rains all over the north, and these mountain areas are prone to landslides, what is the need to go now ?

Kabir has said, that god resides inside u, where are u looking outside for ? I too believe in the same. Just close your eyes, remember your favourite God, and he or she is there in front of u. What is the need to go so far. Just as I don’t need to go to America to talk with my son, who stays there, all I need is to make a phone call to him to hear him,and see him on skype, why cant we do the same ? That is remember him, and he is there in front of u. As simple as that.

But to those who want to go on pilgrimage, who can stop them? Now I am coming to the main point . Since we cannot stop them, I think the pilgrims know the extra risk they are incurring by going to these mountainous expeditions, or religious pilgrimages, so if they die there, why should the dependants cry over their deaths ? For they died for a good cause, and in fact they went to heaven, their sins washed as they died going to visit the lord at the temples !!!!!!

Hence I am very irritated, when people are crying all over the TV, that our so an d so died. Yes I feel sorry for those residents of that town, who stayed there 24 x 7, who had no choice but it was livelihood for them, but the pilgrims who died or are stranded, had a choice of not going, now what is the use of blaming the government, we know how our government works even otherwise, why crib now. Government did not tell u to go on a pilgrimage , did it ?

If u have say a crore in the bank account of yours, u can use it whenever u want, it is yours, u don’t have to go and see the money. If u want to touch that money, u will have to take it out of the bank and feel it, which carries the risk of the money being stolen and u bein g killed in the bargain, same way, if u want to see god in person, u have to take the risk of going up the mountains, with less oxygen, spend money, and take the additional risk of landslides and floods.

Why do u want to cry now, oh dear pilgrim, that u are stranded. Now , pay for the trip back on the helicopter, as I heard were charging some 40,000 per head, to bring u back to safety. God wont pay u that money, u pay it from your pocket.

But I know u wont learn a lesson, and go again, and again there will be many killed. And we will blame the government, and everyone else, but never ourselves.

We are blind.

So be it.

KAMAL MAHTANI

( IF IT MAY HAVE HURT SOMEONE’S SENTIMENTS, ITS FINE WITH ME,SOME MAY SAY THIS IS AN INSENSITIVE POST . FOR WHEN U GO SWIMMING U TAKE THE EXTRA RISK OF DROWNING, A PERSON ON DRY LAND WONT HAVE THAT RISK. SO WHY CRY NOW. )

Once a Sardar learnt only one essay about a Friend.
    But in exam the essay was about FATHER.
    So he brilliantly replaced the word friend with Father and wrote
    I AM A VERY FATHERLY PERSON
    I HAVE LOTS OF FATHERS
    SOME OF MY FATHERS ARE MALE, AND SOME ARE FEMALE,
    MY MOTHER IS VERY CLSOE TO SOME OF MY FATHERS
    MY UNCLE IS ALSO MY FATHER
    MY TRUE FATHER IS MY NEIGHBOUR
    AND I LOVE ALL MY FATHERS
    BECAUSE
    HAR EK FATHER ZAROORI HOTA HAI !!!!!!

In the hot sun, there were some 50 people standing at the busstop.
    Soon comes a beggar and each person gives him one rupee
    Immediately the beggar hails a taxi and goes away
    THIS IS A CLASSIC INSULT !!!!!!

One mother inlaw to another- “ I heard that both your son and daughter got married, how are they ?
    “ Oh my daughter in law is really not that good.She sleeps late, and expects my son to make morning coffee.She does not cook, wants my son to take her out to eat m ore.

But my son in law is an angel.He allows my daughter to stay late in bed, even makes bed coffee for her.insists on taking my daughter out to eat so often.i tell u, I don’t know what to do with my daughter in law “ !!!!!!!!

Listening to your wife, is like reading the Terms and Condtions of a website.
    You understand nothing, but u still click” I agree “ !!!!!!!

Amitabh Bachan went to a public toilet and he came out fully drenched.
    His wife Jaya asked him – what happened?
    Amitabh – As I went inside, someone remarked, Amitabh has come, and everyone turned towards me !!!

God decided to encourage people to have fewer children and so heintroduced a reward scheme,
    He first met Nehru and asked him ho wmany children he had, and he said one , Indra Gandhi.
    God was very happy,and awarded Nehru with a Rolls Royce.
    Indra Gandhi was next – she replied I have two, rajiv and sanjay, god thought not too bad, and gave her a BMW.
    Dr.Radhakrishnan our president was next, and god was annoyed to find that he had 6 kids.God gave him a second hand Fiat Car.
    One day all three met for drinks and dinner, when they noticed Gandhiji was moving about barefoot on the street outside, and they asked him why so, what happened between him and god ?

Gandhiji said – “ This condition of mine is because, someone told God, that I am the father of the Nation “ !!!!!!!

15 people like this.

2. anugamit

anugamit Platinum IL'ite

Kamalji,

While i was reading your snippet, all that came into my mind was "Oh My God" movie. I assume that you have seen that movie so you can understand what i mean to say....

Even i am like you...God is within me..God is everywhere....He does not have any postal address....though I sometimes go to temple, the sacred place, for peace of my mind.

I have deep condolences for those who died in this flood.

I like that MIL-DIL one. :biggrin2:

1 person likes this.
  3. arthimahalakshm

arthimahalakshm Gold IL'ite

i agree with you going to temples in a peak time they invite risks only.
    even i too strong believer of GOD recides in you. there is one saying in tamil also 'nathan ul irukkaiyil natta kallum pesumo' meaning when GOD is in your heart how a stone (statue) speak with you.
    i always select the time to pilgrimage when there is less crowd most probably.

4. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji, firstly a super like to your jokes. Really, they are getting better and better.:rotfl:rotfl

I wouldn’t call your post insensitive because I know you quite well by now but nor would I agree with you. Any place nowadays is a risk. Whether you go and participate in a marathon or visit a famous tourist spot or go to a famous place of worship there is no saying whether you will come back alive. But does that mean we all just sit at home?
    Evil has always been and is still a part of the society we live in. so these things will go on, sadly. Again death of a loved one is always going to make you cry. That is the way human beings (normal) are wired. One cannot say “who asked you to get out of the house. Now you asked for death” ..that seems rather extreme, doesn't it?

2 people like this.
  5. chetavani50

chetavani50 Gold IL'ite

Kamal Sir,
    What you have posted are also my thoughts. I too believe that God and miracles exist inside us itself. Then why to go elsewhere ?
    We live in South India and here there is the very famous Ayyappan temple which is very famous and there is this 'Magarajyothi' at the temple which is believed to be seen by people who are most sacred . There is a heavy stampede there and many people die due to landslides . Two years back a PIL was issued to the temple authorities and finally the temple authorities have accepted that the MAGARAJYOTHI is a flame which is lit by them itself. Earlier tribals used to reside in the nearby forest area . They used to light the flame for different purpose and it was deviated into Magarajyothi.
    Even after that, there was heavy rush last year. Nobody can change the mindset of people. It is very strong.
    And coming to the movie OMG , that film too concluded saying that there is GOD externally. (Otherwise the producer will have to face rotten eggs and tomatoes!!!!!!!!!!) .All these religions and Gods preach to do good and be good only. Not to fight for the purpose of God. Are people who fight/kill other people for a religion or community holy people ? Never. Early people knew that humanity will become selfish in the future and so they started to preach that an external miracle exists which will punish us if we do evil. But that has turned many ways and at last we are here blaming someone for our own deeds. And our politicians who are the root cause for all this mania will have to be blamed in the first instance.
    I don't say that we should not go to temples at all. If we really want punya we can do the puja at our home itself. Instead going to the temple gives us additional tension like - the poojari there does not care us, the lady who stood beside us has worn a beautiful necklace , what if the poojari does not give us the remaining half of coconut , what will be my spouse/kids doing when I return home?

P.S. : These are just just my opinions. I had just peeped into Kamal Sir's posts for the humour and the best jokes at the end but I could not stop posting. Sorry if I had hurt the feelings of others.I just broke out.

2 people like this.
  6. sarada30

sarada30 Platinum IL'ite

Kamalji,

It is true a cost of 1000's of ppl. very difficult to digest many kids and old ppl still starving for there lives. May lord shiva give them a way to come out.

7. roshnic

roshnic Silver IL'ite

Hello Kamalji:

I agree with you 100 percent. Most people have forgotten the Vedic age when rishis gave us the Vedas, Upanishads and the Gita, there were no temples. Most of the rishis lived in ashrams, they were married and geared towards
    acquiring knowledge and strength. Many were scientists, explorers, and warrior saints. Today's spirituality
    is all about rituals to please Gods and does not focus on becoming a good person. The spirituality of the rishis is like amrit and the escapist swamis have reduced it to a religion of do's and don't without focusing on values such as courage or honesty, or justice. They have forgotten that Gita is about justice and not flight to moksha.
    Just my two cents.

8. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

Blame the Population of this country, Kamalji. More people, more crowds, more stampedes, more construction which leads to more destruction of natural habitats.

17%(and growing) of the world population in 2.4 % of the earth surface. Should i explain more !?

2 people like this.
  9. lucky2

lucky2 Platinum IL'ite

I agree with you to an extent that why going to visit piligrimage in rainy season..!
    mourning on the deaths of dear ones is quite obvious,isnt it..?people out of despair look for options to blame rathr than cursing themselves..!atleast govt should have prohibited that area fot a little while,im moved to tears when I saw people got struck in midst of such disaster..instead helping them,how could people make business out of this selling water bottles/biscuit packets for 100 and 200 rs..!
    wish everyone reach their place safely

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

kamalji,

what you say about beliefs, god, piligrimage is absolutely true. i do agree about the piligrimage and piligrims. but what about the locals.

i believe that we are going to witness more of the wrath/havoc caused by man made blunders. do you remember the leh cloudburst floods of the 2010. they were caused because man tried to change the natural topography of the place for his farming and tourism development. the same is also a reason for the wash out.
    leh flash floods - Google Search
    Nature’s fury in Leh - The Hindu

scientists predict a lot of affects of global warming, the glaciers melting and more which will directly affect the people at the foothills of the mountains.

We indians are resilient in accepting mishaps, disaster and then go about doing our jobs. we never fight against the root cause. we always look for shoulders to lean on, and to shot from, to blame. we talk, we cry and then move on with our jobs. we sometimes forget it happened.

be it sabarimalai, jaipur , bhavnath temple,chamunda devi temple jodhpur, people tend to forget the mishaps, and there is an unbelievable crowd the very next year. we will again blame the authorities and the government for any other mishap.

We forget we are moving towards being the most popultated country in the word beating china, and expect the government to help. while the government, thinks it can ask for help from the people, at the same goes about helping other countries. (maybe the government believes in the tamil proverb..oorar pillaiyai ooti valarthaal than pillai thaane valarum- loosely translated..you take care of others kids, your kid will be taken care off)

a very thought provoking perspective..to a issue that has many more angles to discuss on..

2 people like this.