1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sir, Telegram...!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by knbg, Jun 15, 2013.

1. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Read the news 'Indian Telegram Service to stop'
    What else can make someone like me ( getting closer to 'fabulous forties') get engrossed in nostalgia......:coffee
    Was talking to dear dad just a few days back.He was telling me about a telegram which he received decades ago....

"I was busy and totally involved in giving the final touches to a mural when the messenger came with a telegram...bringing the news of your birth. I stopped the work and headed to the sweet shop, shared sweets with dear and near and rushed to see you...!"

'Cling, Cling......' called the cycle bell.....followed by "Sir, Telegram...!"

As a five year old, I was a little confused and curious......waiting to know what was in it....and this time it brought the message of the arrival of my baby brother.....

Years passed......and there came....

Some instances, when the door was knocked at late night......followed by "Sir, Telegram!"......and brought news of close kith and kin passing away.....

Some instances, announcing the arrival / late arrival of uncles from Abroad or North......

Some English-II exams asking us to frame 'Telegraphic messages' and got us 5 marks......

Some more instances, announcing births in our big extended family.....

Some times bringing money.....

A few instances of being selected / wait listed in Colleges....

A few instances, calling for final interview ( to Delhi......mmm.....I went to Delhi for a job interview.....)for dream jobs.....

One instance, when I was asked to join work....

One instance, bringing blessings and wishes from dear ones who couldn't make it for our wedding.......

Though it seemed so easy and quick to list out the instances now, it was not easy at all then......
    'Cling, Cling......' the cycle bell.....followed by "Sir, Telegram!"....and the few minutes till it was opened and read......were thrilling indeed.....filled with fear, anxiety and anticipation......

I'm sure most of you would have such memories of "Sir, Telegram...!" isn't it friends......:)

13 people like this.

2. arthimahalakshm

arthimahalakshm Gold IL'ite

yes.
    telegram will ever last in people like us in the age group

1 person likes this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Bhargavi,

I kind of felt sad reading the news that another phase from our generation will not be experienced by our kids! After the article I was also talking to my kids about receiving the telegram wishes for my wedding. My dad loved sending those wishes as a telegram and I remember picking up the directory and picking the standard phrase with the code and sending wishes to weddings that parents could not attend! Indeed a different kind of a nostalgia. thank you for reminding us!

3 people like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Bhargavi,

You brought some great memories of my young life. I used to handle most of the telegrams my dad asked me to send for weddings, functions, child birth, condolences, etc. I am big fan of Morse Code and I used to watch the message being sent after writing it down in the form in the post office. Over a period of time, I specialized writing them in a very short form. When my grandmother died, I was asked to send a telegram to my dad and I sent the message, "Grandma expired start immediately" and when I completed my CA exam, I sent a message to my dad, "Qualified auditor". Even selecting the standard messages listed by the post offices is also a lot of fun. Whenever I sent best wishes for wedding, I used to select "Let the choicest blessings be showered on the young couple" (#16 in the list).

When I was in the college my English professor who taught us to ask our questions and give our answers in brief manner always used to emphasize, "communication is to express and not to impress". This used to be true in sending telegraphic messages as we spent more money to use more words. But in real life, I never learned to be brief and I still send responses like this to snippets.

Your snippet that post offices decided to drop telegram services made me feel sad. However, with technology advancement in the world where the international text messages could be sent for free with new apps, who would ever use this service? But I do hope still the navy battle ships continue to use Morse Codes for sending secret messages.

Viswa

5 people like this.
  5. BHAVNAM6

BHAVNAM6 Platinum IL'ite

My dear Bhargavi,

What a beautiful narration.....!!!!
    It seems like ages have been passed since telegram had significant importance in our life.

Certainly our kids would never be able to find out that it was the quickest source of communication few decades back.
    Love,
    Bhavna

1 person likes this.
  6. lgirish

lgirish Platinum IL'ite

We were discussing how telegram was a part of yesteryears life. People used to have a mixed reaction on citing telegram. Whether it was a dreaded death news or the birth of a new born or the sudden visit of a relative. The postman used to take a sneak view inside to know if it was a bad/good news. He used to wait a while for taking his baksheesh if it was a good news. It was mandatory those days. I still remember my BIL announcing the arrival of baby boy in chandigarh. Though we had a telephone at home he couldnot make a call and sent a telegram. As there was none at home except me that time and I didn't know the routine the postman had to openly ask for money. I am still thrilled thinking of those moments. Good old telegram service!!

1 person likes this.
  7. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hi bhargs,

I too felt kinda sad but then realised taht I have not used that service at all. Surprising nah? I also remember that whenever we heard " Sir telegram " there was a sort of apprehension in the air hoping that it is good news after all. Guess I remember the faces of people around me more than the actual telegraphic messages we got . LOL

2 people like this.
  8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Bhargavi,

So ur arrival was announced with a telegram ? so now , make us eat mithai eh ! Welcome to the world, Bhargavi.

Well written, very interesting the way u have written, yes poor telegram, and poor people who worked there, now they are out of the job.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  9. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Dear Bhargavi
    very nice to read about Telegram which was forgotten by us.Bhargavi do you know Amirtha who was a student of Anna university now working in Nasa.she is my son's classmate in Anna university.

2 people like this.
  10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

What a lovely trip down memory lane Bhargavi. Technology has advanced so much, we can chat directly in real time, so where is the use for even snail mail, leave alone telegrams? But you are right, they do bring such wonderful memories of a gentler age and era, of postmen, post offices, waiting for postmen and having a personal friendship with them. Life goes on .....

1 person likes this.