1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A tribute to my heroes !

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by msid, May 31, 2013.

1. msid

msid Silver IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]Definition of HERO
    a : a mythological or legendary figure often of divine descent endowed with great strength or ability
    b : an illustrious warrior
    c : a man admired for his achievements and noble qualities
    d : one who shows great courage
    a : the principal male character in a literary or dramatic work
    b : the central figure in an event, period, or movement
    Source: Hero - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Who is a hero? We always think of the second meaning whenever we hear the word right? May be its not our mistake. It is how the present media portrays the word “Hero “. Whenever you ask someone, “Who is your favorite hero? “, we get answers like Sharukh khan, Rajni kanth, Aamir Khan Etc. Are they real heroes? I don’t think so. There are lots of heroes around us whose life may be a great inspiration for us, but we never notice them because they are not famous.

This write up is about the real heroes whom I have met in my life on various instances. This is a small tribute for them, so that at least people in this forum will know their deeds.

b: an illustrious warrior:
    Warrior is not only the person who fights in a battle but also the one who fights with her life every day. Mrs. Rani is a small scale fruit seller who visits my area. She brings fruits on a basket and walks miles and miles to sell them. Her husband was an alcoholic and he was of no use to her. In spite of the challenges and difficulties she faced on this men driven society, she succeeded after a battle of twenty years. She has made her son a mechanical engineer who works in Ford now. Her life taught me to overcome all difficult situations with a smile. I have seen her for ten years and not even a single day she complained about her life. I adore you mam !.

d: one who shows great courage

Mr. Palanichamy is from a very small village from India, where female genocide is still in practice. After his wife passed away giving birth to a baby girl, people from village wanted to kill the child. The man never gave up on his daughter. He stood up against the whole village to protect his daughter and when the problems got worse, he escaped to my city. He works as a security guard on my college. His daughter Miss Shalini is a brilliant kid going to school. Whenever he narrates the story of how he escaped from his villagers, my respect for this man increases. I always admire his courage. Mr. Palanichamy, a salute to you sir.

c: a man admired ( at least by me ) for his achievements :

A boy who escaped from the war zone in Sri Lanka, along with his mom and sister had nothing when he came to India. He is now a dynamic researcher in Power industry. He has published over 239 journal papers and he is funding over a 100 projects. He was my professor Dr. K when I did my Masters. He has risen from the ground level to the top, only by hard work and dedication. He will be a hero to me both professionally and personally.

c: a man admired ( by me ) for his noble qualities:

He never told me his name. It happened during my undergrad when I was collecting donation for education of poor children. A beggar crawled (he was handicapped and he couldn’t walk) near me and as I searched my pockets for giving him some change, he signaled me to bend down. As I bent down, he took all his money from his pocket and dropped into the donation box. I was shocked and I said him, “Sir, you don’t have to do this”. He said, “I have money for my next meal and let this money go for education”. He pointed at his leg and said, “This didn’t make me a beggar, my illiteracy did. So please spend it for the children”. I almost cried there and he comes to my mind whenever I act selfish. I cherish this man as my greatest hero.

The words illustrious, admired may not suit this people. But the words warrior, courage, noble definitely suits them. They are the real heroes and they do go by the first definition.

To all my friends who read this:
    We can always learn from life of other people. I wrote this because someone may learn from their life. They are not very famous people. Our media will never know them. I am not a great writer either; it’s just a simple tribute from the bottom of my heart.[/JUSTIFY]

Last edited: May 31, 2013
    14 people like this.

2. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Real good one msid.

I salute the real life heroes you portrayed - especially to the poor disabled man who begs because of illiteracy and not because of his dis-ability.

As much as we have & well off still we want more while there are heroes like this around us going unnoticed.

Thanks for sharing this.

1 person likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear msid,

Thank you for presenting us with real life heroes that you came across which brought tears into my eyes. There are several people around us who are real time heroes we fail to recognize. When I was in India recently, I was introduced my mother-in-law to a person who used to deliver milk to her house for more than 30 years. He brought his daughter who had finished Engineering in Computer Science and is working for a MNC now. His request was to bless her daughter so that she could get a good husband. We were in tears not only seeing his will power to make his daughter educated in life but his humility in merely asking for blessings.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear msid,

A very good one. You are absolutely right. Around us we see noble souls and one can learn from them a lot. hats off to them!. The people you have mentioned are admirable. Their hearts are beautiful.

I know an Retired Air force officer.....he is a cancer patient (he is cured and alright). He does volunteer service in Cancer Hospital, leads anti tobacco movement, gets educated a couple of poor children, a jest for life, no self pity and exemplary courage, very modest and never brags about himself. He says he has a long list of things before his clock ticks off (this is the term he used). His children are all in USA. Lost his wife a few years back.

Syamala

5. msid

msid Silver IL'ite

I am happy that it triggered the memories of real heroes whom u have met... I will be happy if people could share about their real time heroes in this post...

6. msid

msid Silver IL'ite

Thanks sir ... I just wanted the ppl to know about these unnoticed heroes ! :)

7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Wonderful examples msid of people who embody the spirit and courage of human kind. Thanks for sharing these heart warming stories with us. They are truly amazing and unique.

8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Lovely write up with wonderful examples msid! You made me pause and think about heroes that I may have come across in life. You seem to be a person interested in looking beyond just the face - I am sure you are learning a lot and your life is enriched because of this. Thank you for bringing this to us.

9. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

OP- very good post. Totally agree, true heros are those that we see in our daily lives. Wish more people understood the meaning of the word "hero".

10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Msid,

Congratulations!! Your 'heroes' got you a nomination to FP of the Month and the thanks should go to two graceful ladies of our forum-- Satchidananda and Srama!

I just loved your heroes and I loved even more the fact that you took time to dwell on them and write a snippet here in their honor. Also, if I am not wrong, your very first snippet! Hope this paves the way to many more awe inspiring...just inspiring..snippets from you!?!

You made me think. My mind went on a trip to remind me of all the heroes that I met in my life. But that should not have been so. I should have the ability to list them off on my fingertips without any thought!! So, I am ashamed to say that I let my heroes clouded in my weak memory while you go write an essay on them. My young friend, I have much to learn and this time, thanks to you!:)

Let us all not forget the real heroes we meet in our lives and let our appreciation of such people produce more such heroes around us.

L, Kamla

1 person likes this.