1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Breezy April....Vagrant April..........

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by knbg, Apr 18, 2013.

1. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Breezy April ,Vagrant April
    Rock me in your swing of music....

Every April breeze......after my middle school......after I had read this beautiful poem in my English class.....has made me hum these lines......unconsciously.......

This morning, the April breeze, kissed me with freshness and fragrance, as I opened my patio door.......making me hum these lines.........

Breezy April ,Vagrant April
    Rock me in your swing of music...

April mornings........

With Sun being very active and energetic.....rising a little earlier than the previous day........gearing up to gruel us by his scorching rays and soaring temperature...........have something special in them.......

The coool breeze.........
    The fragrance of fresh leaves and flowers......
    The chirping birds......and the
    Beautiful mother earth, glowing in the morning sun.......

Wow......
    How many Breezy Aprils have I enjoyed.............
    How many beautiful memories have I stored..........:coffee

Breezy Aprils during my Vacations in Village......
    Waking up to the powerful calls of the roosters and drongos...........
    Smelling the freshly roast, home ground coffee..........
    Listening to the cattle bells....as they all would parade to the grazing ground.......

Breezy Aprils during my middle school years..........
    Waking up to the shrilling train horn......
    Heading to the school grounds.......warm up and practice running........

Breezy Aprils during high school years............
    Waking up to the alarm....
    Settling with my book at the terrace.......with my dear dad gently saying while handing me a glass of complan... "Bhargavi.........don't waste time ma......study....or go to sleep......"

Breezy April during my entrance exam preparation.........
    Waking up and rushing to the railway station in my bi-cycle.......enjoying the cool breeze ..... to catch my train for the coaching class.......

Breezy Aprils in College..........
    With the semester exams round the corner, it would be a frantic collection of material and a little loud group studies..........( much to the annoyance of my roomie who was a 'night out queen')

Breezy Aprils......All these April mornings also had someone else busy planning and executing..........
    My dear Grandmother........
    Yes, once the temperature soars.......she would get active and start her 'Vadaams, Vathaals and Pickle making ' rituals..........
    Shopping the best ingredients...........
    A bargain , with the lemon vendor......
    Mangoes would be washed and wiped dry completely and chopped and salted in a big tub......
    Doing the prep work the previous night.......( A really big Cauldron of ' Vadaathu maavu' would be prepared the previous night.....)
    And executing the 'laying of vadaams' early in the morning......She would sound like an 'Army Chief' when she commands and assigns duties.......
    Me and my brother used to eat the 'vadaathu maa' and the cut mangoes, lemons and other citrus ( naarthangaai, gadaarangaai) fruits while watching for the prowling crows......all the while enjoying the Breezy April..........
    The thrill of tasting the first vadaam being fried......
    Packing them and dispatching them to aunties , uncles,cousins and friends........
    A proud sigh of accomplishment.......
    A warm smile basking in praise......
    Breezy Aprils always brought out the best from my grandma.......

Though the temperatures soar......
    Though I get drenched in sweat.....
    Though there used to be power cuts and had to fan ourself with palm leaf fans in the night........

I always love these lovely Breezy Aprils...........and the occasional drip drip drip drip April showers.........when we would rush to the terrace to salvage the pickles , vadaams et al.....

Breezy April......Vagrant April...........
    Rock me in your swing of music.................
    :whistle:whistle

12 people like this.

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Breezy April has come in to breeze us with fresh air and so breezy I do not wish to leave; The occasional april showers.. oh yes!
    I felt transported to the time with so many things going on; April is indeed a very busy month
    I still do the vadaam since I do get the hot sun.. not as early as april.. more later in summer.
    Enjoyed taking a break in this breezy april..

1 person likes this.
  3. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

A wonderful post Bhargavi. You took me too along with you to those early days. Those vardaam days had been wonderful. While going to see if vadaams are safe from crows, we gobble few half dried ones. Early morning studies sitting at the backyard on the stone put for washing purpose (thoikara kal), seeing those red hibiscus blooming. Thank you Bhargavi for kindling me to have those nice times, while I am sitting with DD doing her homework.

Regards
    Manjukps

2 people like this.
  4. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Bhargavi Breezy April very pleasant April.Vadams and vathals dance in front of me.Early morning we get up and pour vadam mavu with a little spoon and my grandma as you said command us to make thin layer.In the middle we swallow the vadaam mavu and what a taste.Thanks for taking us to olden days.

1 person likes this.
  5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Very beautiful Bhargavi.
    You took me down memory lane and i wish I could re-live through all those days once again.

1 person likes this.
  6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Lovely trip down memory lane Bhargavi. Thanks for taking us on this nostalgic trip into all the Aprils of the past and allowing us a glimpse of your memories. :-D

1 person likes this.
  7. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Knbg
    Enjoyed reading your Breezy April. Becoz of the wonderful breeze during april and may you did not fly the kites....
    Oh we use to fly the kites we just use to wait for the sun to coll down a bit from 5 we all kids get ready with the kites, manjas and full of planning whose kite we are going to capture 1st......
    Early morning at 6 mom and aunts use to wake us up so that we make papads and pickles and keep them in the sun and I don't know what they tell in english it needs to be made like nutrellas this is made of Mung dal and all the masalas they grind it into paste and make small balls and put that for drying,
    Now very few of them make, even I have stopped making all this ....hehehe
    As now you get all these things in the market. :))

3 people like this.
  8. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Dear friend,

Too poetic and made me to feel tehe breeze cool in this hot summer. Nice. Do breeze more in the site by cooling ILs more who can share and enjoy without any feel of heat

1 person likes this.
  9. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Bhargavi dear thanks for taking us to the treasured memories. Also of those days when we used to wait for the summer vacations and used to be happy when we get opportunity to go somewhere on vacation. Also brought memories of those happy train journeys

2 people like this.
  10. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear AC,
    Glad to see a breezy person, who had just written a post on Swings here......
    Just like a cool breeze, your sweet words touched me and refreshed me......
    Thanks a lot for the visit and lovely FB dear AC.......:)