1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How I wish I could dance!?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by gayathrivijay12, Apr 9, 2013.

1. gayathrivijay12

gayathrivijay12 Gold IL'ite

Thanks to my i-pad for unwittingly playing a song that went deep inside & triggered a beautiful incident of my life, the significance of which I realized only at this instant making me glycerinate & smile at the same time. am just gravitated to share it here.. It happened to me when I was in my seventh standard..It was a week or two before our society cultural day & we children of the apartment were at our zealous best planning out various interesting events.:party

Dancing fascinated me but being a shy child I never ventured into it. Owing to the confidence I gained while performing in the school drill, I made up my mind & organised a group of four for a kerala styled performance. :thumbsupWe were busy selecting songs, costumes, deciding steps etc that it was past 10 when my mom called me up for dinner. Seeing that cheer in my face my mom asked me of whats so special. Being a rebellious teenager myself I was literally angry of my mom’s summon for dinner. I was in the verge of finalizing that particular step which infuses mohini aatam into contemporary style. I with a stern told that I was practicing for a dance performance & she spoiled it tonight!:rant

Rigorous practice sessions went on till the day before the penultimate day. :clapOne of my uncles, a great kalamandalam dancer of national repute looked at our performance & gave a big laugh. Me innocently thanked him supposing it to be a compliment.:bonk He blurted out with no second thoughts & I just froze as this was the first rejection I faced admist my peers. “ You are so thin, skinny that you may fly in the venue. You don’t have that elegance in you & your steps are all imperfect” expecting others to laugh & so did they. He even went to the extent of making his daughter who was in her 12 th standard then to dance for the same tune. . She was very beautiful, her grace, her expressions, perfection were all mind blowing as per the saying that you needn’t teach a fry to swim. All I could do was hang my head in shame. He dropped me out of the group & made his daughter dance instead of me. He made so many changes to the choreography that it came out extremely professional & fantabulous. The group which no longer has me was sure of winning the first prize hands down. I went back home with a sullen face & swollen eyes. My mom again enquired as before, “ What happened to my meenu kutty’s beautiful round eyes?”. I looked at her totally astonished & slowly enquired” Amma am I really beautiful? But uncle told me that I don’t ve all those expressions on my face & he also dropped me out of the group so am not going to dance” Saying so I started crying. My mom studied me carefully switched on the TV & started watching some music channel. We did not speak for another half an hour. I started doing my homework admist tears & in the meantime dad arrived home. Mom explained him everything & I was in no mood to listen or explain, he hurriedly went out & was back after sometime. He came in & dusted that worn out tape recorder & I saw him loading a new cassette into it. Oh my god that was my favourite song, a tamil chartbuster all time. My mom started doing some steps & was looking at my dad for his approval. In the beginning it was so funny that started laughing. I told,” Amma why do you need to try this. It’s so very hilarious”. She didn’t mind & picked up in no time. Though the steps were very simple, the entire composition was not that bad at all!. When she was done, she called me up & started teaching me what she did with my dad clapping for each step I did. I practiced the same steps for the penultimate day too & was almost ready for the D-day. I was dressed up in a very simple attire but when I saw that uncle’s group I was grounded with admiration & loss of confidence as well. The girls walked past me giving me a dirty look & performed. That was the best performance I would say & everyone gave a superb ovation.:wow

Then came my turn. I performed it humbly & I did forget some steps in the middle. But at the end I too got moderate amount of claps & I was able to clearly see my mom & dad at a distance with my seven year old sister clapping with full energy for her chechi(sister) with her tender hands. As soon as I got down they three hugged me & yelled how cute I was on stage. :biggrin2:The prizes were announced & uncle’s group won the first prize as usual. I won none. But my parents took me out for dinner & we had a great evening together.:cool2:
    A very simple incident but it did not stop me from blushing today. :queenMany a times imperfections is what would let you know who would be there to support you throughout. A forensic science expert dancing for the tune of “Putham pudhu boomi vendum” for the sake of her daughter is just inexplicable for me. Moms are always there for their child, aren’t they?:kiss For any cultural activity children should be given that liberty to enjoy what she is doing with her natural flair. Appreciation & encouragement is what a child need & its very easy for anyone to shower it on them. Each and every child has some inherent talent within & my parents tapped it out of me with care making me what I am today. My uncle’s daughter turned out to be a kalakshethra graduate which is a daunting task & is prospering in her field. There is no room for any comparison between us for we belong to two diversified sectors.
    I don’t need to dance today for a living but whenever I feel like I dance with no inhibitions. I know I that I don’t have that elegance & perfection but still on a earnest note, pursuing goals that interests me & comes to me naturally when it comes to my career & life gave me the necessary confidence to not only dance but to do whatever my heart says.

5 people like this.

2. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

Gayu,

please increase the font size.
    It will benefit some of those old people.....not me....:notthatway:.... I have 20/20 vision.....Just them old folks :biggrin2:....;-)

2 people like this.
  3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Beautifully written.. the anguish and sadness of the child being reprimanded and told not being good enough.. ouch it hurts I am sure even after all these years. I totally admire your father for getting the tape recorder and mother for helping out the way she did.
    Also glad you saw that there is no comparison between your uncle's daughter and you. The support of the family at the time is need you have written so well. It is so true that imperfections is what would let us know who would be there to support us throughout.

4. gayathrivijay12

gayathrivijay12 Gold IL'ite

I had increased it..Hope its ok now:) ha ha touchwood let it be 20/20 always..

1 person likes this.
  5. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

You have super cool parents......:hatsoff to them.....:clap

During my second standard, I once won in a lemon and spoon race. One kid running at the tail end of the group fell down during the race and started crying. So we were all made to run the same race again. And I lost.

So my parents took me shopping and bought me the same toy that was given as first prize. :queen...

What will we do without our parents and their encouragement.

6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hi gayathri,

kudos to your parents indeed. Confidence is what a child needs more than anything else and they gave it to you at the right time. but I really think it was very insensitive of that uncle to say that to any child . Imagine if you had not opened up to your mother that day, your self esteem would have gone down so badly.Anyway glad that it all ended well and gayathri is the super girl that she is today :thumbsup

7. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Gayathrivijay,

Wonderful parents you have. And I liked your spirit too. Reading your post made me feel good too.

Very well written.

8. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Another fantastic narration from you GayathriVijay12. Enjoyed reading it. My regards to you and my respects to your parents! -rgs

9. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

What lovely memories of wonderful parents. Hats off to them. No one can give the same kind of unconditional love and affection like our parents do. :-D