1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Who to inherit, the daughter or DIL ?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Who to inherit, the daughter or DIL ?

Somebody I know recently died, aged 40, leaving behind a grieving mother , wife, and two children around 10 years old.

They lived abroad, the mother hd a flat here in Mumbai, which she gave on rent, for some 75000/- per month or so. She has two kids. This son and a daughter who is happily married . This flat is in the mother’s name, and she gave thison rent and moved in with her son around 5 years back, the son loved her verymuch, as did the DIL. The daughter too is lovely, we know the family since childhood.

Since the boy died in Mumbai every one flew down, and it was a shock to everyone.Aft er everything got over, the mother decided to will the house and put in the nomination I the building society of who will get it after her. In her last will and nomination, it was the son, and now he is no more. The daughter too was present during all this.

Now dear friends, I ask u a question. Who do u think this lady should nominate the flat and will it, should it be her daughter, her only surviving child, or her daughter in law, who has two small children.

Let me wait for yr replies , before I tell u what happened. Let us see what u all have to say.

The law says children have rights over their parents properties. My mother says, daughter should get nothing, for she got when she got married. And she says it is good u don’t have a son, otherwise yr daughters would have got nothing.

So the law says one thing, mom says one thing, tricky eh ! let me see yr take on this issue.

After a long time I saw a woman sitting on the roadside with a cow and grass, waiting for sinners to come and feed the cow some grass, pay her for the grass a king’s ransom., so that the sinners can wash away their sins.

I remember , some 50 years back, when in school , we had a Hindi Teacher, who had a great sense of humor. One day he told us this story, that how easy it is to wash away one’s sins in Mumbai, that is commit sins all 6 days of the week, then seventh day go to such cow, feed grass, and pray to the Cow, that Cow God, please forgive me my sins. So in one Ruppee in those days his sins were washed, and again eh would continue his bad ways for the next 6 days and so on.

Maybe those days our Sir did not know that Gods sleep also as I blogged in my last blog. HAHA

When my granny died, in the mid nineties, my brother had to go and feed the cows for 12 days , and only then could the pandit and all others eat food. So this task was given to my brother , he was given a huge steel plate full of goodies like paneer, mithai,rice , curds. Etc for the cow to eat. He had to ask a dozen people if they have seen a cow, and he had to drive some 15 kms away , till he spotted one, and fed her, and the lady owner of the cow scolded him, that don’t bring this kind of good food formy cow, whqat if she gets used to it, then she will stop grass, and there goes my business ! Abd brother was scolded at home also by dad fpor coming so late.And the cow lady took 51 bucks from him for feeding her cow the goodies eh !!!!!

So I say to one and all , if u want to die, come to jaipur, plenty of cows on the roads, people leave them there , as strangers will feel sorry for them, and feed them food, and in the evenings they come and pick them up. The municipality is paid off to not arrest the cows, they braid it on the head, so the inspectors knows this cow has been paid for .HAHA

So guys come one come all, and die in jaipur, even the wood in jaipur is cheaper than in metros like Mumbai.

What do u say to my offer !!!!!

KAMAL MAHTANI

Arz Hai

Jab yaad uski aye, to toilet mein baithke ro lena,
    Jab dabba assu on se bhar jaye , ussi se dho lena
    SAVE WATER

If newly Weds are called “ Love Birds”
    Then what are old couples called ?
    They are called “ ANGRY BIRDS” !!!

Quiz Master – Why is Taj Mahal considered a Wonder of the World ?
    Santa – Because it was built without a loan being taken !!!

Before marriage –
    Roses are Red,
    Sky is Blue,
    You are Beautiful , I love you !!
    After marriage
    Roses aer dead, I am Blue
    You are a headache, one day I will kill you !!!!!

A Cute Excuse
    Teacher asked a student why are u late again today to class?
    Student – My parents were fighting , hemce I got late.
    Teacher – So ?
    Student – Teacher, my one shoe was with papa and one with mama !!!!!

Sardar kills a DEER and cooks it for his family and tells them to guess what meat it is.
    He gives a clue, that it is what yr mother calls me.
    Suddenly the son screams – koi mat khanna , yeh “ Kutta” (Dog) ka meat hai !!!

What is the difference between mother and wife ?
    One brings u in this world, crying,
    The other ensure u continue to do so !!!!!

Husband and Wife had a tiff.
    Wife called her mother, that I am coming to stay with u.
    Mother says “ Don’t make that mistake, we must make him pay for this.
    I am coming to stay with u !!!!!!!

A man finds his wife in bed with his best friend.He takes out his gun and shoots the man.
    Wife – If u carry on this way, u will have no friends left !!!!

Teacher – Write in passive voice “ I made a mistake “
    Santa – I was made by a mistake !!!!!!

8 people like this.

2. smritisinha

smritisinha Platinum IL'ite

If the daughter is happily married and the DIL has no source of income apart from this rent income, the house should go to DIL.

Not because, the daughter got what she had to at the time of the wedding, but because the DIL needs it more. And God forbid the sweet relationship sours and the house is in the name of daughter, we don't know how she'll treat the bhabhi and her children. Plus, if the daughter is married, she already must be having a house, etc. so this can work as home for the wife of son and their children.

3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamalaji,

I feel the DIL should get the house....as she has two small kids to take care of.I don't know the law very well. But ethically it is the right thing.

My assumption may not be right...but suppose the mother dies without changing the nomination as his wife wouldn't the son's wife get her husband's property. I think so.

In our relative's family...four sons and four daughters. All well settled. One of the son's passed away in his 40s. But later when they shared the property. Daughters were not given..as your mother said daughters were given at the time of marriages. They divided into four shares and gave everything equal to the widow of the son who passed away.No controversy, no legal opinion taken, daughters also agreed happily. So, in this case DIL should get it.

Syamala

4. MadhuSharmila

MadhuSharmila IL Hall of Fame

Definitely it should go to the DIL and her kids. If the son has owned it, that would have been inherited by them only. And now, the head of the family is no more and the DIL has to take up his role in bringing up the family. With two kids in hand, she definitely needs financial support unless her husband had left her a fortune.

As the daughter is happily married and the DIL has lost her husband at a young age, it would be humane to leave the property to the DIL.

5. nimnik

nimnik Silver IL'ite

why cant the property be divided equally between DD and DIL... suppose the DIL has no other source of income, then probably the % of property divided can be more for DIL.. but surely DD also should get the share.

PS: i dont know the law in these, but just shred my though kamalji..

6. arthimahalakshm

arthimahalakshm Gold IL'ite

according to me,if the son was alive without any hiccups it would have gone to him only.after him it would go to his children.so the house should go to his children ie in directly to dil. if the house was built by the father then dd has right to ask share.as dil has to live for the sake of children it should be registered in the names of the children;in this case either dil or dd can be put up as guardians till they become major.

2 people like this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

kamalji,

i am not sure if the property is the earning of the mother, if it is inherited or otherwise too, it has to be equally divided between the dil and daughter according to law today.

there could be another school of thought that could say the grandkids are the rightful heirs for the grandmom's property.

in a present situation where both the daughter and daughter-in-law and the mother are in great terms and if the son had another property where they were living and the mother has rented it, i would still say she could have rented the property and given 30% to the daughter and 30% to the daughter-in-law and 40 to herself, which she could use for things she would like to do. this is a very practical solution according to me..and the property could be rented even after her death, with the daughter and dil as guardians and the property willed to the grandkids.. this is a win-win situation with too many legalities and a thinking in the castle kind of solution..:hide:

I hope she has done justice. from what you say, there does not seem to be any hiccups...and i do hope property and the will do not play villain in the family..

3 people like this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Okay Kamalji, since you posed a question, I have chosen to not read the other responses before answering! Since every one seems to be doing alright financially, I think the lady should nominate the flat to her DIL (assuming itis not ancestral property). They have a good relationship, she might continue living with her and daughter is well off. If they don't need that money, she could perhaps make a will to give the rent that she would have accumulated in her lifetime to the daughter later on.

I was wondering about cows in India Kamalji - people certainly come up with new ways of making a living! Feel sorry as well good that they are so creative! As always thank you for the jokes!

9. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Kamal
    Reserve 2 places for me and my dearmost hubby.. we are coming to jaipur to die.. you know whenever we are supposed to that is.. not right now; But dont forget your promise!
    I love these jokes more than the others.. I always think like this about all your jokes.. they are the best treat.:biggrin2:
    In fact they are like the grass and the cow story. Once I read them my sins are washed away then till you post next time I continue doing more sins :biglaugh
    Take care brother
    The husband and wife jokes are really hiarious!:thumbsup

10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Depends on the reason why flat was going to son when he was alive. With info that is available so far, it should go to the DIL, she is the son's next of kin.

Even better, the old lady should keep it confidential who she has willed it to. It is kalyug after all.