1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Unforgettable!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Dec 7, 2012.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

I lived in an apartment complex for many years and had many friends almost in the same age group. While in the annual vacation, we participated as a team in a cricket tournament and reached semifinals for the first time. It was a flood light tournament and the ground was just opposite to our complex. That day, we won the toss and asked the opponent team [our arch rivals] to bat.

It was a 12 overs match and they were scoring decently up to a point and started hammering us. Our best bowler was hit for 3 sixes in an over and we all felt like drowning. Soon, we went to bat, with the asking rate of 7.5 per over. We started well, but soon lost wickets and hope and were glaring the defeat when the eighth batsman came to the crease. I was at the other end and we needed to score more than 10 per over then.

To my surprise, he batted like Sehwag and smashed three fours in the first four balls. I've never seen him bat like that. "Charged perhaps!", I thought. And he was furiously calculating the remaining balls and runs and started hitting cleanly. I was trying to give him the strike. Came the last over. There was a visible tension everywhere and I was shaking a lot. 10 runs were required. He slammed a four and took a single, making it 5 in 4 balls required. I swung and missed, but ran to the other side. Now only 4 runs were required. I didn't know what happened then, but there was a duel between him and the bowler. Before I realized, I heard a thud. The next moment, I was gaping at a dusky mob which was growing in size, moving towards our complex.

Suddenly I heard a familiar voice. It was my mom and I could see the outline of her near the gate. She was blocked to go further, as there was chaos everywhere. It was a bitter fight where our team and people were involved with the others. As I ran from the ground to reach her, I saw my teammate [the batsman] bleeding. He had been hit in the knee and was limping. Soon, everybody left and there was a silence. Broken stumps and sticks remained. The result was announced the next day that we lost. I saw him after two days, bandaged and asked him why he was beaten. He smiled weakly and said, "I don't know what got into me, but it was me who banged him with my bat first!".

I was too stunned while he added: "4 runs in 3 balls! Easy match you know?"

Added later:

Quite often we don't realize
    How close we were to the target.
    We give up or just act crazy
    To lose it ending in deep regret.

It is not the moment when you start,
    That needs attention and caution.
    Your vigil should never be short
    As you reach there without tension.

All good things said and done
    Can go in vain in a minute
    If you lose yourself just once.
    By then you would be finished.

Beware! Its easy to allow yourself
    To go astray and create havoc.
    Though hard, you should check yourself
    And pursue your goal! Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
    8 people like this.

2. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

All good things said and done
    Can go for waste in a minute
    If you lose yourself just once.

Very true rgs..
    your post reminded of lagaan.. your second batman felt a do or die situation.

1 person likes this.
  3. rgsrinivasan

Thanks for your fast feedback PadmaTVT and yes, what you said is right too. He appeared cool and calculative to me till then. I did not know what turned him on then. The consequence - How many people got injured after that? The trauma was even too big. -rgs

4. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

Excellent rgs. What a life lesson. :thumbsup

Such life lessons are so useful.

1 person likes this.
  5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear rgs,

It is very true. In the beginning, all strategies are planned, proceed cautiously with a cool mind but in the end when success is closeby....fear of failure, nervousness makes one go erratic, mind behaves in a crazy way and they are deprived of success. I think fear of failure makes them like that. About this aspect Paulo Coelho describes very well in Alchemist. Did you read that book?

Thank you very much for a good snippet.

Syamala

1 person likes this.
  6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear RGS,

An impressive incident and a profound lesson to learn.

Like Shyamala put it so well, the fear of failure in spite of working hard does cause one to err at times and it is a costly lesson then.

Felt like a piece from 'Lagaan'! Could not help feeling really sorry for your team. But perhaps the lesson learnt has been etched in everyone of the eleven(team) and not just our RGS!

Congrats on being 'brought' to FP by Anitap!

L, Kamla

1 person likes this.
  7. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Thats wonderful writeup.. the meaning you drew from it and the verses are superb RGS asusual.

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear RGS.

Very nicely written post, RGS.

In the world that believes knowledge and experience is power, my Guru said, "Character is power". It is our character that commands a lot of respect in this world and most importantly, makes the Creator happy with our actions. If we lose character, we lose everything. The situation you explained involves a person using up his knowledge and experience to be successful but failed in demonstrating good character. Even if you had lost the match, your team would have enjoyed great credibility for what the batsman on the other side demonstrated.

It is unfortunate that all hard work is no longer imbibed in the mind of the spectators but only the fight remained.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  9. smritisinha

smritisinha Platinum IL'ite

Cricket fever gripped me as I read the progress of the match!!! What a win it could have been RGS!

Nicely written! You made us watch a small episode of Aesop's (/RGS's) Fables with a remarkable lesson learnt!! :)

1 person likes this.
  10. rgsrinivasan

Thanks a lot Anita. And thanks for bringing this to the nomination too. :) -rgs