1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Diwali Bonus

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anandchitra, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

A tradition is a ritual passed down within families or through our society and sometimes through our culture too.
    Diwali or Deepavali is one such special occasion where we can share with our family’s traditions that have come down through our generations.
    The instant mention of Deepavali brings to mind getting up very early to take a bath where hair is anointed liberally with oil and then wear new clothes and burst crackers.
    As small children we used to postpone wearing new clothes since the priority then were to rush out to burst crackers.
    Then after the crackers war is over with other children around we would rush back in to wash hands and gobble steaming soft idlis and laddus.
    There was not as much emphasis on lighting lamps / diyas which was usually reserved for Kathiga Deepam.
    All traditions are kept alive by evolving into more and persisting in keeping it going.
    Deepavali in that sense has evolved for me by including a lot of lamps and lights around.
    This is in addition to bursting of crackers, good food, inclusion of close friends and lots of sweets.
    I am sharing here how my tradition of celebrating an important festival in my life is evolving.
    Another feature of Deepavali is everyone who helps us in our daily lives like the postman, maid, paper boy, watchman and such come by to collect what is referred to as Diwali Bonus.
    I do not know if this still goes on but I remember my parents keeping cash and laddus ready to hand out on Diwali morning.
    Here in the U.S we give such friends of ours who helps us gifts during Christmas season. The monetary value of these gifts is usually determined as per the convenience of the giver. The person receiving is always grateful and then the cycle continues.
    I am hoping anyone who reads would decide to give me a Diwali Bonus by sharing your traditions and together we can enjoy a peaceful & joyful Diwali with smiles and hugs.

014.JPG

This is my quota of crackers. Cost me $23.00. I only bought sparklers, Sangu Chakram and Flowers pots. What I Like :)

010.JPG

015.JPG

candles.jpg

light.jpg

12 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Chitra dear first of all hugs to you as Diwali bonus. If you were here near me I would have hugged and kissed yu also.(hahaha). Just today morning only I was thinking of how Diwali used to be in our childhood days and we used to wait for Diwali because that time only we used to get a new dress. Not like now anytime a new dress is bought and we do not wait for occasions. Those days only one person in the family used to earn and with so many children it was difficult to run the family. But still they used to manage without keeping any debts. They had a peaceful life and the chidlren were their treasure. So we used to get dresses only during Diwali.

Your post brought me memories of Diwali of childhood days. Early morning get up at 4 a.m. then each one is ready to go and take bath to wear the new dresses, get the blessings from elders, then burst the crackers. What fun we used to have. Then have idli and yummy sweets made by my grandmother who was expert in cooking especially making murukku.

You have narrated beautifully as always whatever was in my mind about Diwali. But now a days that charm is not there. The daughters and grand daughters being far away there is no mood to celebrate Diwali. More so this time my dh is also progressing little by little. But still I like to wear new saree on that day. Though we have not bought have the sarees given by my daughters. So will wear that as i am very fond of sarees.

Today my maid was remembering about last year. Telling me last year you gave me some nice old sarees of yours, money and you had made Badam halwa and last time you were the first to give me. But this time you are not talking about it. I told her I dont remember that and also told her anyway the person who gives need not remember, the person who receives only should remember. I told her Diwali is tomorrow and I dont have that much happiness like last year but anyway I thought I will give you tomorrow your diwali bonus. She said she is not coming tomorrow so gave her bonus today and told her will keep some sarees ready for her and she said dont give me border sarees, give me simple ssarees which I can wear everyday.

Thank you for bringing me old memories and sorry for the long post

May the festival of lights be the harbinger of joy and prosperity. As the holy occasion of Diwali is here and the atmosphere is filled with the spirit of mirth and love, here's hoping this festival of beauty brings your way, bright sparkles of contentment, that stay with you through the days ahead.
    Best wishes on Diwali and New year.

Wish you and your family Happy Diwali

Attached Files:

4 people like this.
  3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chitra,

i want my Diwali bonus from u, a glass of beer, and a plate of fish/ham/burger/ etc.

HAHA

Well the guys do come, and the best part is the telegram people come for bakshish, when we have not done any telegrams in the last 2 decades or so. HAHA

The hijdas are terrible, moving about in half a dozen autos, going in gangs to showrooms to exhort and loot, they have made their own list, and now it is not 5 or 10 bucks, it is like 500 to 2100, depnding on what size the showroom.

HAHA

Good one.

Regards

kamal

Even since i have had tuffy and bingo we have stopped buying and bursting crackers, poor chaps are so scared, we dont have the heart, so the neighbours burst, and we just watch.

Regards

kamal

2 people like this.
  4. BHAVNAM6

BHAVNAM6 Platinum IL'ite

My dear Anandchitra,

Thank you for your beautiful post which nurtures our traditions.

Diwali bonus is a perk for the people who have been tirelessly working for us.They even work more to help us out for the preparation of this auspicious festival.
    Yes, it gave me lots of joy when I lived in India up until the year 1999.I always liked to be generous in this area. I used to get remarks from my family for going overboard in giving bonuses to the people around me.
    I have been here in USA for past twelve years but whenever I go to India I still love to treat the people who used to work for me and they definitely make a point to see me.
    In 2006 when we went for my daughter's wedding, my cook who used to work for me when I lived in India took one month leave from all his regular cooking jobs and came to help us out. I thought that was a nice gesture by him.My maids also came to help me out which gave me peace of mind in handling the big event of my daughter's wedding.
    Lastly, It was a thrill for all of us in our family to take perks to get from our father-in-law when we used to attend Diwali chopda pujan at our shop in India.

My dear Anandchitra you deserve lot more bonuses than I gave you by responding to your post.....as you are a wonderful person..
    Wish a Happy Diwali to you and your family.....

Love,
    Bhavna

2 people like this.
  5. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

I too love this festival and celebrate it as traditionally as possible with practices gathered over the years ....

clean the house till it sparkles...from my MIL

have at least one home made sweet and savoury ( more than that depends on my mood )oil bath, wear new clothes and go to the temple,....from my Mom and oh yes idli sambhar for breakfast along with all the sweets :)

no crackers as we do not enjoy it much...

a colorful rangoli at our main door....from Mumbai the place I grew up

light all the candles in my house( I have quite a collection of them and the only day all are lit is for Diwali) .. I love candles and Diyas so this is very much my own practice

invite people over for dinners.....this i started in KL .As we do not have any relatives here I like to celebrate it with friends made over the years. :)

have a lovely Diwali, AC..:cheers

BTW loved your pics..especially the lights leading up to your home :thumbsup

3 people like this.
  6. Anandchitra

My dear Vijima
    So very happy to get diwali bonus from you.
    Festival days have to be more special than the regular days.
    It gives us that much to look forward to.
    Our parents inspite of all financial difficulties did the best they could and as children it was possible for us to enjoy and create lovely memories.
    It is also our responsibility to spread cheer around us and bring in more joy and peace who serve us. By doing so I feel we serve them too.
    In this materialistic world service people tend to expect extra cash and women more sarees.
    Your kids might live far away but I am sure their thoughts are with you.
    Best wishes to you and Mama and prayers for his complete recovery.

7. Anandchitra

My dear Kamal
    Its true that dogs and other pets get scared of loud noises. I have heard that some pets attack the vacuum cleaner because they are scared of the noise. Its difficult to imagine how hard it must be for the animals and people with breathing problems to go through this day when all around there is noise from the crackers.
    I am really surprised that higher costs have not prohibited people from spending more money.

When i invited you some years back for Beer, Wine and fish .. you did not come. Now I have given up fish, wine and beer. Still i allow it to be cooked in my home and there is always wine and beer stocked. Soon I will not allow even this .. so you better come with Harsha while I still have stock.
    BTW I can cook fish in the most healthy and tasty way so I do not see your beautiful and lovely wife restricting you eating this.
    Wishing you and your family (and particular Rahul) a grand Diwali :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Anandchitra

My dear Bhavna

You are indeed a living example for genorisity what you do for people who are working for you. No wonder they too take time off to come and help.

We sometimes dont stop to think that people who work for us come to work even in very difficult situations and most times do not show their suffering or diffculties. It is indeed an opportunity to give back and also a means to serve our community at the same time.

Thanks for your kind words. Happy Diwali to you and your family.

“There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up.”
    ― John Holmes

1 person likes this.
  9. Anandchitra

Mindian
    If I were to reply to my thread, it would be exact match of what you have written. It is quite amazing that we have so much in common and think alike and even tastes are similar :)

I too love candles and diyas. I miss those special lamps we used to light on karthigai deepam. We had one elephant and some other animals and many women standing holding lamps in brass.

The candles sold these days are also so pretty and if we light the fragrant one.. hmmm..

The photos I took of the lights and candles did not really come well. I posted only the better ones. Must be some special feature in the camera which will take these kind of lights at night.
    I will think of you today and tomorrow when I light more.. Have a lovely Diwali you & family

10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear AC,

Here is the deepavali bonus to you describing my routine on deepavali day and the previous night as a school going boy.

1) My mother used to cook Potato curry and Onion sambar with Semiya payasam the previous night. Despite caution from my dad to be moderate in eating, I used to just go for it as much as I could and sometimes, roll down to digest more than the capacity food.

2) Quota allocation of crackers happens the previous night. Generally, the total budget is approximately Rs.50 to Rs.100 depending on the price of the crackers. I am being the youngest, I get assigned with non-risky crackers while my elder brother gets to handle rockets and planes. There is not a deepavali, we did not fight with each other on this allocation. However, finally, it is settled by my brother compromising a little.

3) My mother prepares all eatables over the previous week by organizing a firewood stove in a remote location inside the house. In general, sweets consist of items that are most liked by two kids and my dad. Generally, it will include Laddu (my favorite), Rava ladu (my brother's favorite), Gulab Jamun (my dad's favorite), milk cake (my mom's favorite) along with Mixture, Thenkuzhal and many other items. Deepavali marundhu is prepared the previous night for improving the digestion that has omam and many other items.

4) My mom and dad used to wake up at 4 a.m. in the morning and prepare everything for celebrating deepavali. At 4:30 a.m. we wake up and my brother used to announce to the neighbors by lighting some crackers that we are ready to celebrate deepavali. My dad is the one who will apply oil symbolically in the head of each family member. My mother will put an asanam with kolam on it for us to sit and get this done for every deepavali. I am the first one to have oil bath, followed by my brother and then my parents.

5) My father gives new clothes to all of us and we need to do shastanka namaskars to my parents. We eat symbolic sweets to begin with and rush to fire crackers for an hour or two. At 7 a.m. my mother starts packing sweets for distribution and we begin visiting the houses of all elders to take their blessings. My parents make themselves available from 8 a.m. for younger ones to come and take their blessings. Throughout the morning, my dad used to listen to the teachings of Kanchi Sankaracharya and many other Gurus in the radio (there was no television at that time).

6) We will have elaborate lunch on deepavali day again with payasam, etc. Later that night, we will finish left over crackers, if any. The next day morning, we need to clean up the space where we fired the crackers to make it environmental friendly.

I wish you and yours a very happy deepavali and use this opportunity to wish all ILites a happy deepavali.

Viswa

4 people like this.