1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The 5 Vices

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

The 5 Vices​

As a young kid, sitting with grandma , we used to be fascinated about what she said, the stories of Guru Nanak, and his two followers, Bala and Mardana and their antics. And she would t ell us about the 5 vices called
    Kaam (Lust ?)
    Krodh – Anger
    Lobh- Greed
    Moh – Attachment
    Ahankar – Ego

How I have come to such a vague topic, so unlike Kamalji eh ! Well this may be a super flop blog , but how does it matter, I wont lose any money, HAHA, lets carry on.

Yesterday I read about Vijay Mallaya, and his sale of 50 odd percent in his liquor business, for some 2 billion dollors, that is 11000 crores approx. And what he said later , made me sad. He said, this money does not mean I am selling my family silver( then what is he doing eh ), and don’t take it that I will bring in this money to bail out King Fisher !!!!!!

It was then that I remembered the 5 vices, wondering which of the 5 this man has, glass of whiskey in hand, but not mallaya’s, but scotch , and I found out, I may be wrong, that he has all the 5 vices.
    Kaam – well they were showing him kissing models on TV yesterday, old clips, so well the matter of lust is there, there are the kingfisher calendar girls, he is always there for the shoots eh ! So I think he has this one
    Krodh – Yes surely he is angry, the way he says this money is not for KF etc, u can see he is annoyed.
    Lobh – That is greed.Sure heis greedy, I read that even his liquor business he has borrowed heavily to buy foreign brands, and now he has sold his main business to get money to pay those loans.
    Moh – His love for his son, bordering on the insane is there for sure, for what kind of a father is he, he opened the airline for his son on his 18th birthday, and today the son is in London attending F! races, father is attending here, he does not comment on his father’s troubles nor is he bothered, always with a new babe as a girlfriend, and the father not saying a word to his son to grow up. The attachment is very strong, but I would say a usless one, for the son is usless and good for nothing.
    Ahankar – Ego – yes Mallaya comes acroos as a higly egostic chap.

Now I thought how many of these vices do I have eh ! So I got down honestly to check myself and here is what I found it.
    Kaam – Well I don’t have, I have been faithful to my wife all these years after marriage, simple.
    Krodh – No – I used to be very angry at one time, now no more, for I realized that what can be achieved with a cool frame of mind, is much more than sheer anger, and it raises my BP, so Krodh is not worth my time or my health.
    Lobh – To a reasonable degree, I am greedy, like when I have to keep money in Fixed Deposits, I will first chose a govt bank to a private one, and then between the govt ones start comparing which gives better, at times there is a difference of 1% in the rates, say one safe bank is giving 9% per annum, and another one 10%, so why not the 10, takes a few phone calls and an hour but worth it. So in a way I am greedy, but not for those corny schemes.
    Moh – yes I am at fault, I love my family children, and brothers mom etc, but then again, I am rational, in case if I see my family wrong against an outsider, I will not support blindly my family bcs they are blood, but openly come out with my take on it, and tell my family member to say sorry. But beyond that yes I love my family.
    Ahankar – What is there to have ego of , friends, I am uneducated, matric pass, I don’t know the holdy books , I am not good looking, I don’t have great cars, or mobiles, nothing to be proud of, so where is the question of ego.God has been kind in that respect to me.

Dear Friends ask yrself these questions , and the answers will surprise u.As I am sure this blog has , for it is different from what I write.

Have a great Diwali dear friends, May the lord give u health and wealth, and lots of joy, and may my blogs give u something to smile about.

God bless u all dear friends.

KAMAL MAHTANI

A prospective husband in a book store – Do u have a book called “Husband the Master of Wife “ ?
    Sales girl – Sir, Comics department is on the first floor

Sandy ,Nilam,Rita,Katrina
    Why are all hurricanes named after women ?
    Because they are Wet and Wild when they come,
    And Take your house and Car, when they leave !!!!!!!

Husband comes home early and sees wife with another Guy.
    Wife – why are u early?
    Husband – Who is this fellow ?
    Wife – Angrily – Don’t try to change the topic !!!!!!!

Simplicity of Osho
    A man to Osho – Do u know what the boys and girls are doing in your ashram ?
    Osho – Mere ko kya ( How does it matter to me )
    Man – But this is your Ashram ?
    Osho – phir Tere ko kya ? ( Then how does it matter to u ?) !!!!!!!!

A Japanese came to india , he took an Auto to the airport.
    On the way a Honda overtakes the auto
    Japanese – HONDA , very fast, made in Japan, and gloats over it.
    Soon they reach the airport. Japanese asks for the fare how much to pay
    Auto fellow – Rs. 8000/-
    Japanese is shocked, say this is too much.
    Auto chap – Meter – made in INDIA, very Fast !!!!!!!!

14 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Kamal dear a nice blog which everyone should know and every grandmother must have taught their children and surprising I am the first one to give fb. You cant have any vices as you are a very good man

Happy Diwali to you and your family Kamal brother

3. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Dear Brother,

By Baba's grace and many near and dear ones prayers hope is keeping you in sound health and cheer.

Well this thread will defianately not be a SUPER FLOP not even making it a Flop, a sister like me who is agitated on hearing some of the families have lost their dear ones due to unpaid salaries for months the unfortunate being an employee of King Fisher Airlines will ever want these things to come to limelight and so does others...

Such things need to be brought to light to a larger public., Thanks for your thoughts for writing about this.

May Baba bless your home always...

1 person likes this.
  4. outofthebox

outofthebox Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

All the jokes were funny this time!

Well, coming back to your post....you know what? I couldn't agree at all with your points on Ahankar....who said that to have ego, all must possess those materialistic things?? Have you heard of "Empty vessels make more noise" ? I think its only those who are totally "empty" in their head have ahankar....so that is one point I am going to blatantly oppose ! :p

Now, I did a quick test for the 5 vices...Out of these, I still have a lot of "Krodh" in me which I wish to quieten down, but I guess it is going to take a long while for me to achieve that, although the subconscious mind...And yes, "Ahankar", I would admit that yes I have at times...so now I think, according to my rationale, it indirectly indicates that I am an "empty vessel", and it is high time to fill it up with something sensible :-D

I think this was a great post on the occasion of Diwali!!! Diwali, means "festival of lights", and in a way in the spiritual sense means "the awareness of the inner light"....so you have tried to awaken the inner light by throwing "light" on the vices, so that we can at least try to acknowledge it before D-Day!! :)

Thank you for your wishes Kamalji. Wish you and your family a Very Happy Diwali!!

1 person likes this.
  5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

Told the most complicated philosophy in simple language that people like me can understand. You have captured the essence and doing it in a practical way. May God bless you with good health and happiness. Though you don't believe in God I believe.

Those who won victory over the 5 vices are the humblest.

I wish you and your family a Very Happy Diwali.

Syamala

1 person likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Kamalji,

Those five vices are intended for someone to do self analysis as rightly pointed out by you. Therefore, I am not going to worry about Vijay Mallaya's spiritual development and I am confining myself to my own self-analysis. Thank you for giving me an opportunity to do that.

In my opinion, Kam is not necessarily restricted to lust but it includes all desires I have in life. Through out 58 years of my life, I struggled shrugging off many of my desires but without any success. I realized that eliminating all my desires are very difficult to do. Hence I decided to have ceiling on desires. Taking care of my family or satisfying their requirements becomes a duty. Individually, I still have many desires that I fight every day. I am trying to practice simplicity in my day to day life. I understood resisting desires is all about forming a habit not to yield to the will of our mind.

Krodh - This is primarily driven by my expectations. I have learned out of my 58 years of living that my job is to keep on improving my performance in building my character and reduce my expectation to the lowest level. Like the financial wizards follow P/E ration (Price/Earning Ratio) in Wall Street, I follow my P/E ratio (Performance to Expectation Ratio) so that I could control my Krodh. This strategic thinking really helped me to calm down and remove my thought of comparing myself with anyone else. I as a person who had a lot of anger in early stage of life became much calmer and contented individual. This one is some what related to Kam above.

Lobh - I have a definition for myself on this. It becomes realistic when I like to have a competitive interest rate from Fixed Deposits like Kamalji but it becomes greed when it becomes a need to have something even if I know that someone will incur a loss by that action. Using weakness of someone else for my benefit is greed. Land grabbing, cheating someone in a transaction, taking higher equity stake by forcing someone in a weaker position to accept it, taking bribe to do my responsibility, etc. are clearly nothing but greed. I have a very simple formula. I work hard and I expect my clients to pay me my professional fee as per contract. At the same time, if I didn't get something done but still my client is contracted to pay me, I would prefer to waive the fee which I don't deserve.

Moh - This is not restricted to my attachment to my family but also to many inanimate objects as well. More than knowing more about our DNA, I am more worried about learning and analyzing my D & A (Desires and Attachments). Understanding and appreciating in my mind that I have come into this world without anything and I will leave also without anything makes me correct myself from time to time from severe disease of attachment. Everything I have in this world is a gift to me and I hold it as a trustee whether they are spouse, children or properties. Only my noble thoughts and actions I carry forward beyond my life. I am slowly realizing all that now even though it is too late in my life.

Ahankar - I agree with Outofthebox in stating that Ego is not necessarily related to education or wealth. Anyone can have it. In my opinion, ego was created for the human being to separate from the Lord without which the dualism won't exist. It is the divine play of the Lord to create a Maya of dualism and it is our duty to work towards eliminating dualism. I always call it Ever Growing Organism (EGO) because that is the only one that keeps growing throughout my life even though my physical growth stops before I cross my teen age. It is like malignant cell as normal cells in our body grows constantly in an arithmetic progression while malignant cell grows at a geometric progression. I know, if I let it grow faster, it can destroy me. At the same time, I also know if I am not able to destroy it completely, I could probably stop its growth and begin pruning it slowly.

I apologize for this long-winded response. I am no where near you Kamalji in disciplining myself and I have a long way to go.

Viswa

3 people like this.
  7. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

very interesting kamalji and a good read for introspection during the festival time.:) BTW even before I began, some instinct told me this is about Mallya bhai. Maybe, because only yesterday I read an article about him saying that the media has always quoted him wrongly and that he is a nice guy actually and all that blah blah ;)))

anyway, coming back to me ,I have to let go only of krodh and Moh..not bad at all, I score 3 out of 5 at least...
    how do I let go of krodh ?? I always think that my Dad should have given me his patience and tolerance towards others instead of half the share in his property. hahaha
    and moh..I dont see it in the near future at least. I am very attached to many things..my family, friends , my small posessions collected over the years...no, that will probably go only when I leave the world.
    Meanwhile let me work on the other one, krodh LOL

2 people like this.
  8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Kamal
    First of all, let me wish you and Harsha a very happy Diwali!
    You have chosen to write about the 5 vices on the eve of the festival of lights probably because you are keen to dispel the darkness of ignorance among your fellow ILites. I have all the five of them in varying degrees but I do not consider them as vices. It is always my view that nothing is a vice as long as you can effectively explain it. Scriptures tell us that most of the Asuras destroyed by God have safely reached the Heavens without having to languish in hell.

Why should I think that these are vices when these are blessings bestowed on me at my birth? Good and bad are both creations of God like the day and night. Imagine a world of only the days and no nights, how long can we survive in such an ambiance? We may not understand His purpose in creating the negative forces but they are as important in maintaining the equilibrium of all life as the positive. By being bad possessing all the five vices as you call them, if I can be a part of the overall scheme of God, I am happy about it.

We spend billions of dollars to save the tiger and other forms of wild life including deadly reptiles because we realise that all of them are necessary for preserving the ecological balance. Cheeniya with all the five 'vices' is as essential to the planet as the good hearted Kamalji!
    Sri

5 people like this.
  9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji Sis,

Happy Diwali to u too, God bless u and yr family and Gopika. Well i too have my vices, it's just the degrees that vary from person to person.HAHA

Regards

kamal

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dea r SS,

Yes the pilot thing is sad. When the other pilots are seeing the conditio n of the airline why dont they resign and look for a job elsewhere instead, kingfisher cannot hire them permenantly ? leave and go and search for newer pastures.

vijay malaya will ultimately ground this airline forever, for it is too debt ridden i guess.

Regards

kamal