1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Endearing Oryza sativa

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Megalife, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Just wanted to take a moment to say hello – and to let you all know Mega is around. Was on hiatus from snippets, which I admit lasted longer than I initially intended to,……. for no particular reason. I am hungry right now and this gives me an excuse to write something on the endearing Oryza sativa …the love of my G.I tract!
    When I talk about RICE I am reminded of a couple of old blonde jokes :
    “My husband wanted a special rice recipe for dinner. The recipe said serve bare without dressing so, I undressed. Who says blonds are dumb? I knew why “naughty hubby” wanted this weird recipe!
    The door bell rings and I want to surprise him…..I flew open the door…and
    What a surprise???..... he had brought his boss home for dinner.
    A great recipe for rice says “wash thoroughly before steaming the rice”. It seemed sort of silly, but I took a shower. I can't say it improved the rice though.
    I’m not afraid to tell you a story about my experience with rice, no matter how embarrassing it may seem, I do have a thick skin, if I can write about toilets per se, my rice-blunders are far rosier. In my days as a newly wed, there are many (NOT SO PROUD) moments I have had in the kitchen struggling with this stubborn “rice”. Though I did not grow up among rice-fields , rice was a part of our daily menu in some form, and in my house we never considered it “exotic”! SO Shame on me!!!!
    My first “tryst with rice” was when rice got spun into rice soup, seriously guys, we (yup me and …my poor DH) ate it for supper in the form of a buttery-spicy decoction! The next attempt was even more impressive….it turned into a pasty lump….but this saved us money, we never brought glue for a while and this “generous me” was even willing to distribute it to my lovely neighbors, but the neighbors were away for the weekend!!! ALAS. The third time it was a joined endeavor, my Dh called his mommy (yeah… I know they believe that only their mommies know it right) and we settled down to cook the perfecto rice……they looked gorgeous, stunning and striking….but unpalatable and undigestable!
    It took me a while to master the art of cooking rice to relish …now I have become quiet diverse and am experimenting towards Turkey, Finland, Indonesia, Egypt, Italy, Arabia and Japan.
    Categorically, it is the magic component for any ambitious cook, which can be transformed into magical soups, appetizers, first courses, one-dish meals, main courses, cakes and sweet dishes. The Oryza sativa plays a powerful role in the world as food, crop and commodity, as well as its influence in mythology across many cultures, with rice spirits and goddesses inhabiting a rich tradition of fables and rice lore.
    AND….you know what these days “Food photography” is in demand (thanks to those lifestyle/food magazines )))…..and “RICe (DRESSED!!!) Dishes” is a photographers delight!
    Come on , all of us as newbie wives did have a tryst with something (besides hus and PILs)…….may I know what was yours?

11 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Mega dear glad to read your rice history and a snippet from you after a long time. I was also wondering where are you not to be seen much in snippet Missed you. Very humerous and interesting snippet as always.

I also had problems in the beginning not in cooking rice but other items. In my dh's family everyone was an expert in cooking and I learnt cooking from my dh. While working no time to try out different dishes though my friends used to like my stuffed brinjal and karela dish. Everyone knew that my dh used to help me in cooking. After retirement I gave retirement to my dh in the kitchen and tried manydishes. Now cook different dishes and wait for his comments. But of late because of his health not able to cook different dishes.

P.S. By the way what is Oriza sativa

2 people like this.
  3. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

Want to extract military secrets from dh (if the Indian govt foolishly entrusts it to him)?
    Just refuse oryza sativa for 3 days.

(I think this will apply for most Indians) :)
    After 4 days without rice, even a photo of oryza sativa
    will make one drool copious amounts of saliva.

Truly endearing indeed.

6 people like this.
  4. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hey Mega,

Good to see you back in snippets. Yesss, I too missed your writing :)

Hmmm leave alone as a newbie in the kitchen,even after twenty six years of experience (and read that in truly hindi filmy style) I still don't get it perfect on many days. My mom says I do not time it in the pressure cooker and she is right :hide:

But isn't home cooking the BEST because of such imperfections ? And in case you think I came out with that dialogue, No... it is hubby's statement.:) (yeah Poor guy, I hear you say)

3 people like this.
  5. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dearest Vijima
    Hey.....you must be kidding.....viji is the synonym of "cooking yummy". I just checked it out in the dictionary.
    Lucky to have a hubby's who likes to help you in cooking, unlike some people here( I mean my house) who just love eating....ha...ha.....
    Oh...Oryza sativa is RICE.
    Mega

1 person likes this.
  6. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Anitap
    Thanks for letting me in on that little secret of yours.....lucky you, I must say. Want to bully him into buying you new diamonds, just go on a rice-harthal!
    I guess I am the same, mega without rice is a disaster, I need it ATleast twice/ thrice a week, a true blue-blood Southy!
    Mega

1 person likes this.
  7. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Mindian
    Oh....oh....26yrs and yet not mastered the art.??...trust me friend....you aren't alone....my mom is with you as we'll,my dad and she still have often a tiff over the consistency of the cooked rice.
    You might wonder what about my dh?...he...he , if my maid knows to cook a single item decently that is plain rice! So he is spared mega-rice, unless I decide to go on my sustained culinary sessions.
    Thanks for reading my hungry-vent.
    Mega

8. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Super Snippet :thumbsup Enjoyed your narration a lotttt :) Looking forward to reading more from you

Rice is actually tricky to cook until you get the knack of it. Once you catch the knack you will wonder how did I mess before.. same as riding a bike or swimming!

Nowadays I use the trusted electric rice cooker never fails each time:)

I did not learn to cook before marriage much to the chagrin of my grandmothers!
    I did cook rasam 1 day for my father as the women in my family had to go out.
    I just boiled water added little lemon juice and little tamarind juice and maybe salt :rotfl.. my loving father liked it.. after that i was not allowed near the kitchen!
    I learnt cooking from my FIL who was a very good cook. My MIL was also super cook but she had me as the assistant to wash this and that and cut veggies..
    your wonderful post took me back to those days thanks dear :)

2 people like this.
  9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Megha dear thanks for the sweet message. If the post is about rice, then I wanted to write about it. Earlier I used to cook rice in cooker. After my younger daughter got married she told me in their house they cook rice boiling the water then adding rice and cooking for 10 mins and then keep it closed in the gas only and then after one hour drain the water. So now I cook like that and like it very much because the grains are separate. Now I dont like to cook rice in cooker

1 person likes this.
  10. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dear AC
    ...coming from you I take it as a compliment...thank you!
    I have not yet reached the stage to wonder
    ...Sometimes it comes out great, soft yet pretty looking seperated grains...attimes its just not that awe!

That is my tragedy too....my MIl is all great guns at cooking....and I am married to her son and I am the mother to her grandsonand granddaughter.....so a total "FOODIE" family.....so you see expectations of the end-product is high !
    Mega