1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Graver!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Oct 17, 2012.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Sorry for a topic on the other side of the spectrum this time. Its just a feeling that says that we are not worthy of the sorrow that we are in. Admitted that I am the same old melodramatic person who loves to have fun, laugh a lot and cry rarely and always go for a happy ending movie over the other one. One of the reasons for it may be from the realization that life can never be the same way. The power of sorrow is such that it saps all your energies that you might have even in future with just a thought. One may argue that "You are still in it, so your view is a biased one!". I agree. Totally.

I remember this incident now. Once I was naive enough to ask an old astrologer whether he will be able to predict death correctly. His reply made me to like him though. He said, "I don't! And know not whether anybody ever will!". Perhaps whats more darker is the fear of death than death itself. Yes. But what makes it even more is the crude reality that you can't do anything but just stand there dumb, when you see your dear ones suffer! When you are asked about when it would be alright, it takes the greatest of your courage to say, "Sooner dear!". The number of shortcomings that you have may be several more than the one who asked that question. Alas! You are not the sufferer.

Once you see that they are out of it, a relief hits you first. So hard that you have no words to express at all. Your tears may answer that, but that too, you'll soon realize, has no impact on the fear that you had. Thankfully we are made this way, where we soon eat / drink and hence gradually forget / adjust to the fact, being 'wise'. But it just takes one thought to go there and brood all over again. Many start praying and seek solace in the almighty. Benevolent that He is, we somehow come to grips and get the energy to continue.

Perhaps there is something in accepting things as such and move on - though it takes years.

There are countless little stars
    Seen in the vast expanse of sky.
    You can't see them near or far
    After dawn when you look at the sky.

So is the nature of all things here.
    We come, we live and vanish too.
    Why should there exist a fear?
    We too are just mortals. True.

Though our joys are lesser than
    Fingers in a hand, lets be brave,
    Facing the sorrow rather than
    Surrendering meekly and just leave.

There may be a little solace that
    We don't have in us to change
    Things, hence lets now learn and start
    Accepting things however so strange.

Reducing what we expect from others
    And staying there through and through
    With those poor ones that really suffer
    May help us getting ourselves through.

4 people like this.
  2. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Profound words RGS!
    Your posts are forcing me to login from mobile while commuting.
    See, this is the only time I'm having now a days.

Your sentences are too good, "your shortcoming are ..... But you are not the sufferer"
    And the last stanza is just fab sir. Sorry I can't stop myself from referring you sir atleast for this post.

1 person likes this.
  3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear RGS,

Excellent!

You know what, I could empathize with every sentence and sentiment of your's. Going by what I read in this post, you have gone through the emotions first hand. I feel like I can tell...for I did! Hence, I know what exactly you are saying here. And you have said it so well. I could never have put my thoughts on this as vividly like you did. But it felt really good reading it for I have thought and felt the same way.

What we experience and the loved ones experience is grave enough. But our inability to do much about it is surely 'graver'! The following poem was all too poignant. Yes friend, we should go see 'happy' movies and read 'stories' for there is enough of the other in real life. So savor whatever we can, right? :)

"Once you see that they are out of it, a relief hits you first. So hard that you have no words to express at all. Your tears may answer that, but that too, you'll soon realize, has no impact on the fear that you had. Thankfully we are made this way, where we soon eat / drink and hence gradually forget / adjust to the fact, being 'wise'. But it just takes one thought to go there and brood all over again."...How true!

This was promptly nominated to FP by Pallavi4me! Congrats!

L, Kamla

1 person likes this.
  4. rgsrinivasan

Thanks a lot Pallavi, for your nice feedback and generous appreciation to this post. Also, I am moved to know that you have nominated this post for the Finest Post of October 2012 too. And coming to the 'Sir' part, I am not there yet [and never will!]. -rgs

5. rgsrinivasan

I don't have any more words to add to your wonderful feedback Kamla Madam. Thanks.
    And thanks to Pallavi too. -rgs

6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

RGS dear thought provoking post which I read only today. I can understand your emotions as I am exeriencing it now. I also go with Kamla what she has written. You have narrated well and the poem is very good

Success in life wo;; create crowd for you, loneliness in life will creat spce for you, but tough times in life will creat e the true person in you

1 person likes this.
  7. rgsrinivasan

Thanks Viji Madam, for your appreciation and a nice feedback. It took quite sometime to write this post as I was a bit emotional then. Very happy to receive a feedback now. Thanks for reviving this post. -rgs

1 person likes this.