1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

my fight with Cancer

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

I Fought Cancer and lived to tell the tale​

This is not a sob story, but a fact of life , told kamalji style.So read on, the true story of my tryst with cancer, how I dealt with it, and about the doctors, and their reaction to this specimen called kamalji.

As you all know, I was to go to Indonesia, all tickets booked, and visa for Singapore received, along with harsha for the birth of my grandson scheduled to arrive end march . All purchases for the little one made, we were very happy to go, we were to become grandparents for the first time, so you can understand the joy we must have gone through.

A week before departure, around the 15th of march, during routine tests, I was diagnoised with cancer, of the bladder, caused due to smoking. Well, I asked wife a few days time, to give it up, for I had to bid a respectable farwell to my friend the ciggie of so many years. So I smoked to my lungs content, and by the 18th march night, I gave it up forever, never to look back at it again.

The biggest problem for me was how was I to tell my daughter we were not coming there for the delivery, for in shock she might have a miscarriage, and my mom is 80 plus, how do I tell her, I am her favourite son among the brood of 4. That was more troublesome for me than my disease. But luckily things fell in place , the grandson was born, a week before the operation, and two days later I told the truth to my daughter, who cried and cried, and same tile told my mother too, luckily she took it well, just concerned about the stage it was in.

We went to Mumbai for consultations with various docs, and we decided then on which doctor we liked from the many we saw. We were 5 months in Mumbai, staying with mom and my brother. The cancer was removed by operation, the urinary bladder removed , and a new one made from a part of my intestine,a hole made in my stomach called stoma, and now I have a bag permenantly hanging on my stomach, wherein the urine gets collected, and I flush it out every hour, no problems on that at all. In the night , I attach the bag with a bigger bag so I don’t have to go to the loo, and it all gets collected in the big bag which I clean in the morning.

After the operation, I was to undergo chemotherapy, which I got done at Tata’s, Mumbai. That took 3 months to complete, so a total of 5 months we were there in Mumbai.Every one was very nice to us, my mom, family, friends, cousins , neighbours etc.

During chemo, I had to only eat home made food , fresh. The drugs of chemo altered my tastebuds so much, that I started to hate nonveg, and just ask for veggies like Dal, bhini, potatoes etc. And I was prohibited from eating chocolates, mithai’s , namkeens, no going to restaurants to eat, and sicne my body resistance was low, so no going to AC places like cinema halls, club, plays etc.

It was like house arrest, and I was longing to eat spicy food. So all the time I used to ask the chemo doc, “ Doc, have you and harsha ganged up together, and put something in the drugs, that I have turned a saint, asking for dirty things like veg food, and if so, soon u will find me wearing orange robes and sitting under the tree, with a bowl in hand !!! Doc when can I eat the lowly samosa on the street like everyone else, when can I eat anything that I want etc.

The doc and the surgeon who operated on me, both told Harsha “ We have not met character like Mr.Mahtani. Every cancer patient who comes here, is so glum, and we see hundreds of them everyday. All ask the same thing, Doc how long will I live. Your husband does not ask about living, but he asks always when is he allowed to drink whiskey and eat nonveg. And he tells us a joke or two as he comes in, and lightens our mood.

The next time I met the docs, I told them “ Doc, I am 59 now, and I have had a healthy fulfilling life till now. Why would I want to ask you how long will I live ? Can you anyway tell me how long will I live ? No you cant, for even you don’t know. Suppose you give me the option, of living till 100 years, like Morarji Desai ( actually morarji was born on 29th of Feb) and his birthday came once in 4 years, so he was actually 25 years old, for he could celebrate just 25 birthdays eh ) he used to live on urine ( his own of course), and eat sparsely. Doc u want me to live like that eh !

No doc, I want to live and die like Raj Kapoor, who died at 67, eating and drinking, and having a gala time with the babes eh ! My dad barring the babes part, lived till 67, eating and drinking, so I would rather ask for a short and a good life, than a long and boring one !!!!!!

So Doc just tell me when the hell I can start eating and drinking, and feeling like a normal human being again. And they are still looking for another character like me, I am sure they wont find one so soon.

HAHA

And now the whole world is after me, kamal don’t eat cheese, don’t drink whiskey(already started, I did not touch whiskey for 5 months even though it was allowed. For I was not in the mood), don’t eat chocolates, and everyone has some or the other advise for me.Many adivse me don’t eat nonveg !!!!

Now when I came back to jaipur, after 5 months, we met both the doctors, and aksed them about what I can eat, and drink, and what to avoid.Both told me , eat or drink what suits you, meaning since my intestine was altered, I am now used to get constipation every few weeks, so they now ask me to see what suits my system now. But none of them told me, in front of harsha, to not eat nonveg, or not to drink whiskey.

But a wife is a wife, and coming back here, we had our tiffs, she wanted me to stay slim, yes I lost 15 kgs weight, because I did not eat anything wrong during that period.

In fact I was calculating what was it that I did not eat, that caused this weight loss, so in the 5 months in Mumbai this is what I avoided
    Whiskey – Normally I drink 6 bottles of 750 ml a month, so in 5 months , I did not drink 30 bottles
    Papads – 4 a day, none duri9ng this period, so 120 a month x 5 months = 600 missed out ( chori chupke say 50 papads I ate, still 550 papads I did not eat)
    Mithai, namkeen, samosas, chocolates, nothng w ent down the throat, and that was the reason I was slime and trim
    Now the question arises, from my wife’s side, if u could control yrself for 5 months, why not leave it forever ?
    Not a fair question, for I was just bidding for my time to come, I knew it would come, why should I leave it when it does not concern my cancer coming back, what caused cancer to me, that is ciggies, I left it and now it is almost 7 months , I havnt touched them, and remember I was a chain smoker, and wont touch it again, but other things are fine with me, so what if I add weight again eh !i don’t have to flirt with pretty babes eh !

So dear friends, I am back to being the Devil I was, and everyone is surprised to see me alive and kicking.The expect me to have a stick(lathi) in hand, stooped figure, and ageing a decade, and eating sparsely, and talking about God and holy things all the time, eating veg food, and chanting hyms, and here they are surprised to see me, as usual, joking in the park, with new branded shoes and T shirts, and walking with a spring , and many have asked me, it does not look like u have had cancer, and I smile and tell them, thank u for the compliment, lekin nazar mat laga yaar.

From now on, I have to go once every 3 months to Mumbai for some tests and check up, the tests will be done in jaipur, checkup in Mumbai will take some 15 mins by the surgeon, thatis all.

There is no medicine prescribed, just some vitamins to boost my immune system, and no restrictions on food or drinks.

And really friends, God has been kind to me, if he gave me the disease, he gave me the money to treat it in comfort, he gave me loving friends family and relatives, and many would blame the lord, I thank him for everything, for I believe he does what is best for us, and he has given me a healthy 59 years to live before this, and I see people sick in their thirties.

And I have no sorrow even if I were to conk off tomorrow, life is not in my hands, but what is in my hands is how I live the rest of my days/months/years/decades, and let me assure u, that u wont find me depressed. For there is nothing to be depressed about in life, life is fun, life is beautiful, look around u, look at others below u, and u will realize how lucky u are, how blessed u are.

This is my longest blog I think ever, but I wanted to tell u all the truth of what happened ot me, my erratic behavior when I was not regular at the site, I am not looking for sympathy, or donations or money, I was just looking to tell u in matter of fact way, what happened , and how it was solved.Some of my close friends here know it, some don’t, I did not want to alarm my friends, and wanted to see if I lived to tell the tale, I did, its been 6 months to the operation, so I guess it is fine to write about it now.

So smile please, if this is too long and boring, please skip it, I wont hold it against u.

KAMAL MAHTANI

Rahul Gandhi to Sonia Gandhi
    First CW – G
    Then 2 –G
    Then Coal –G
    And now Jija-G (meaning sister’s husband that is Robert Vadhra)

An Englishman and Kamalji were inside a public toilet.
    The Englishman politely asked Kamalji – How do u do ?
    Kamalji – We open the zip and do !!!!!!!

Touching words by a father to his son
    If u think yr dad mom teacher , boss are strict and harsh to u,
    Then
    Wait for a Wife.
    You will start loving them.

Difference between **** and O ****
    A boy threw a rose at a girl.
    But it fell on her brother.
    That is ****.
    And her brother was a Gay
    OOHHHH **** !!!!!

Girl to boy – Yesterday I came to yr house u were not there, I left the Rakhi at yr house, did u wear it.
    Boy – No, tomm if I come to yr house and leave a mangalsutra at yr home, will u wear it !!!!!!

A Woman has sued a local hospital saying that after treatment her husband has lost interest in Sex.
    The hospital spokesman replied – We did nothing wrong, we just corrected his eyesight !!!

60 people like this.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji,

I knew you were sick and recuperating, but did not know you had this massive battle going on. boy, you make it sound so simple, that i am bowing down to that sense of humor because i know people who make fuss even for a small headache.
    I know the difficulty of a bag, because my mil had it..and you make it sound so easy..
    Now enjoy everyday kamalji, do joke, and enjoy.. who knows better than you and me that there is not much we can do about the past nor the future, but we can enjoy today to our heart's contents..though i still have not learnt to that and picking up nuska from you...

Health, painfree vibes your way...:thumbsup

13 people like this.
  3. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

Kamalji,
    kudos to you..you have made it seem so easy and simple..you have such a positive energy within you..when ever i read your snippets, the first thing i think is that...
    jokes were too good...esp the mangalsutra one...time to see your grandson now?

4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Kamal
    I am not at all surprised at the contempt you have for cancer! I know you are not upset by it but damn annoyed with it because it throttled your lifestyle for a few months. What is the majaa without being in nashaa? But I am intrigued by that whiskey calculation of yours. I know you are basically a two peg man. At 60 ml a day , it should work out to 1800 ml a month or about 2 1/2 bottles a month. Your calculation shows a consumption of 2 1/2 large pegs a day. Have you increased your consumption since we met last?

I am happy that you have quit smoking. The brand that you were smoking was not pleasant on people sitting next to you! You have now joined my elite gang. I'll be happy if you switch to cow's milk from Sher ka dhooth. Then we can go to Kolkatta and spend a few days with OJ!

I love your spirit even without the 'spirit' in you! Since I am a very God fearing man and fiercely loyal to Him, I'll pray for you everyday.
    Sri

9 people like this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

sri, shows that you are a banker.. i did not give that much importance to the caculation..

4 people like this.
  6. outofthebox

outofthebox Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

I think I read somewhere on this forum about your health condition,but believe me, if you had not mentioned explicitly, going by the way you post here, it would be difficult to believe that you have gone through such a rough time. You have definitely made it sound so simple with your light humor, and I wouldn't be surprised if the doctors are still searching for someone like you :)

I myself have seen a very close relative of mine who was thankful till the day he lived, and even told his wife that he has nothing to regret. He was a highly diabetic person and with lots of health complications. He has influenced my career & thinking in a very big way, and I really owe it to that gentleman.There are very few people like you who actually are grateful for everything in their life. And, this feeling of gratitude only continues to attract happiness in their lives.

And, yes, its really nice to see that you have given up smoking forever which actually led to this stage.
    Hope your taste buds are not "troubling" you for the "prohibited items" ;-)

Pray that you have lots and lots of healthy times ahead, and definitely hope to see you blogging around here and entertaining us with your light humor posts always.

2 people like this.
  7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

I am glad you are keeping good health now.

I admire your attitude of taking and viewing things in a very positive way. I know..people would advise you a lot of things, what to do or what not to do. That is also natural.

I know quite some people who fought with cancer and leading good lives for years....not just existing but active life.

Wishing you good health

Syamala

8. MadhuSharmila

MadhuSharmila IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji,

I just can't believe this. You are just that one different kind of person. Highly optimistic.

Wishing you good health and happiness. Take care.

9. yams

yams Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

Happy to see your post but first when i reached this thread seeing the title i was quite worried but your words of the post reduced it a lot..

coming to the content i was a bit angry to know that you are a chain smoker and to have drinking habits (like most girls & women i even hate it) but one thing which made me amazed was that your attitude towards life:thumbsup

' I know i am wrong and i m happy to receive the consequences as well' which most people usually don't do including myself:bonk

there is a similar situation in my house that my grandma is sick as well due to increased sugar level her both kidneys have been severely damaged that she can survive her remaining life by eating only liquid food items ( but now after reading your post i think her condition is far better since she is in her 65 yrs)

she was the younger daughter in her family who was taken care by her parents and brothers very well getting all that she needs and this continued with my grandfather and my mother taking care of her always till this age like a small kid... she has no control over her food habits
    now knowing that that led to all these problems still not able to digest the sudden fall in her health condition she cries like a small kid thinking that she might die soon...
    when she was well she use to say
    "anyways its time for me to die and why should i have control over my food?"
    but now she is afraid of facing death

it makes us to worry as well seeing the dear one to be in pain and fear

really felt better after reading your post
    i wish she could also understand the reality and be strong like you dear..

Take care,

Loving yamini.

2 people like this.
  10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji, you remind me of Rajesh Khanna's Anand character. You have the same attitude.Perhaps that is right. The problem with people is they forget they are mortals and get depressed when death reminds them that they are just that. French Writer Albert Camus once said life is like walking towards toe hangman's room because ultimately ev eryone is going to be hanged. What really matters is the path you walk and how you handle it.

1 person likes this.