1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Q:Will You Marry Me??? A:What???

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by EverHappy, Sep 24, 2012.

1. EverHappy

EverHappy Platinum IL'ite

It has been a very very long time since I have been here..
    I hope each one of you is doing very well.

Some of you know that I recently entered into a wed lock, sohere I am to write something after it all. Taking cue from the title, Thisquestion definitely popped up, at an unusual time, unusual way, with an unusualwish. To some it’s unusual, to some it’s mad, to some it’s stupid, to some it’scrazy but for me it’s so importantly sweet.

With the skies pouring their ever flowing love on all thebeings below, with the wind lavishly running helter-skelter, the trees dancingto the tune of the winds and smiling at the glory of the skies, indeed it was avery beautiful Sunday evening. But the lazy me, watched all this from my cozycouch, relishing the aroma from the kitchen, day dreaming about the unknown delicacythat my dh was flirting with. Lo this was the right time! I had to ask him, Isneaked into the kitchen to ask my dh- “Will you marry me”.. Now, what wouldyou expect a person who just married you (ok, few months ago!) to say? I toldhim, this is a wish I have- on one of our anniversary days, not too far away, Iwant to marry you again.. “But why? we just went through all the paraphernalia,the pomp, the pampers and not to mention the pocket burns.. why again? Why?” “Woooof..so many questions!! Hold it right there.. I said lets marry again, but dint sayI want that same pompous wedding.. did I? Okay, here is what I mean..

Even ages before I got married I always dreamt of the vowsthat were going to exchange, those promises which would ring in your head whenyou have little fights, when you look at each other’s eyes. Oh yes, we did havethe sapthapadi in our wedding too.. but, *with a big ‘T’* The priest who seemed to enjoy getting us wed,somehow also enjoyed the pleasure of insuring my dh.. how? Like this- the girlstanding a full 5 feet 4 inches tall, the priest and my dh sit on the groundlike they are inseparable and the priest rumbles the vows right into his eardrums. Despite the camera flashing at my face, I try my best to bend down tohear what these love birds were talking but only in vain.. Aaargh.. I don’t evenknow what promises he made, and I dint make any!! Of course, outside of thewedding day there are a thousand promises made in equal spirit, but there issomething special in that promise, on that day, on that holy occassion.. *a deep deep breath goes in and out*

Hmmmm.. Ok, so that’s why you want to marry again!
    so??
    Ya so..
    Go on!
    I will marry you.. but, do you think our parents will agree??
    Uff the classic question! This isn’t our first time, withthis question!We will manage.. *thinking*
    *bling* let’snot tell our parents
    What??**”!
    Yes, why tell them?
    Ok, if you are ok with that plan then no problem..
    Abba…
    *bang* whatif the priest wants parents to be present?
    No don’t worry we’ll tell him we are eloping..lets get anarya samaj wedding done and the only condition will be the priest musttranslate all the mantras into understandable verses. Hmm ok!
    Oh this isn’t simple, it’s not the right thing may be!!
    Ok, let’s go for a church wedding..
    Great!
    But will the church allow us to do so?
    *a big deep breath*
    OMG, ok forget it.. I asked my father to tell the priestthat we are not Sanskrit pandits so please explain things to us. But this was acrazy request to put in front of the priest and hence took the last priority inthe list of things..

Anyway we are still sorting out what to do, but one thing forsure is it will happen and I can’t wait till shashtipoorthi J
    If I tell all this to my mom or mil they will think I’vegone more nuts than I usually am..
    Pour in your thoughts and any ideas.. we are sure to work away round this..I’m sure alteast one of you has such secret desires..
    I never realised that it was easier for a boy and girl to convincetheir parent about getting married than for a husband and wife..

6 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Happy dear a different post. Enjoyed reading it. Congrats. I cant think of any ways hope someone will come with an idea to help you. Can I tell you an idea though I said I cant think of just exchange garlands saying Sarva Mangala Mangalye, already he must have tied a knot na. Now he can tie only for Shashtiabdapoorthi

3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Everhappy,

What a great post this is. Institution of marriage involves two different families with two different values coming together through the marriage of a man and a woman to love each other, their children and grandchildren. Somehow, somewhere down the line, we missed this important understanding. The parents of the man think that their values are greater than the parents of the woman and sometimes, this process is reversed. A woman who is married into another family is not welcomed the way she should be done normally. Where do we loose the same level of interest we had in establishing relationship prior to the wedding? Doesn't getting to know each other facilitate better understanding between two families rather than creating differences? Did I learn my lessons wrong?

I have a feeling the following should be done on a regular basis:

1) Every husband should propose to his wife on their wedding anniversary that he would like to marry her to reiterate the point that his love for her remains the same as it was on the day of and prior to the wedding. Every wife should consent to the wedding as she did on the day of and prior to the wedding. Both should be truthful about their opinion and if they have doubts about it, they should talk about it until both are able to agree to it.

2) Both families of the couple should think what made them to decide to establish relationship immediately prior to the wedding and what has changed after the wedding for them to feel differently. They need to sort out their differences, if any, quickly in the interest of their children and grandchildren. They should also ask the question to themselves whether they would remarry their respective children again, if they were to decide again? The purpose of this exercise is to forget the differences and not to widen them.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  4. EverHappy

Dear Viji ma,
    Thank you for your warm reply. Such a nice feeling to hear from you after such a long time. Thank you for reading it and appreciating it. and about the idea, hmm, yes that's true..
    Take care,
    Love

5. EverHappy

Thank you very much sir, for your patience to read thearticle and more-so for writing such a detailed feedback. I am honoured.
    So true, in the process of ego’ising’ every aspect of lifewe lose the value of life itself. Renewing vows is such an excellent thought andthis is exactly my point. Your points show an idealistic picture of life. Iwill be more than happy even if a couple stick to the first point. With the waythe world is changing, I’d be extra-ordinarily happy if the husband and wifeestablish a good relationship with their in-laws. The last sentence carries theessence of the entire post, anything done with the intention of good gives backonly good, and anything with the intention of doubt only produces more doubts.Isn’t this whole world nothing but “Reaction, Reflection and Resound”?
    Thank you for posting here, my intention was to write alight hearted post but provoke this thought.

1 person likes this.
  6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Happy dear Viswa has nominated your post for September

7. EverHappy

Wow!! I don't believe this.
    Viji ma, thank you for letting me know, I would have probably not realised at all.
    Viswa Sir, thanks a tonne.. I am honoured and humbled by your appreciation. :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Everhappy,

I wish you happiness forever in your married life! What you propose is not so unthinkable. As a matter of fact, I have read/heard about a couple of married couples (!!) getting married again and repeating their wows for it seems to renew their love and affection for each other! I hope your wish gets fulfilled and you will find a venue and priest or whoever you want who will repeat the vows in a way that you can both understand and take the full pleasure of it and this time, with a lot of understanding!! And you can repeat the same again and again in the coming years if you only so wish!

In my day, I was too naive to give all this so much thought. I knew that the marriage ceremony was a big deal and like you say, burnt a few holes in my parent's pockets!! I remember not caring much for all that fuss and fanfare and wanted it to be all over quickly! It was different for my daughters though. They took more interest in what was happening to them in the name of a wedding ceremony. Yes, for them the marriage steps were all printed out and the wows and slokas were explained and printed...little booklets that I still have stored away safely for the grandkids to refer to!

Marriage is looked at and analyzed more seriously by today's very alert young people. I only hope that they also cherish and work hard to keep those wows and fan the love in face of all adversities!

L, Kamla

3 people like this.
  9. vaanadhi

vaanadhi Bronze IL'ite

Vegas it is.Drive in marriage...:thumbsup:cheers

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  10. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Go and marry again and again and again.. & whats this about asking parents and all! I disagree. The fun about renewing wows is between husband and wife only! Others can be invited if you choose to but I do not see the need to ask them! This time around you get to do exactly the way you want to and that is the fun part. Good luck