1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A tambrahm"s tryst with the daily bread !

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Chokkanayaki, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Chokkanayaki

Chokkanayaki Silver IL'ite

If taste buds could be tingled from afar.Oh ! Yes !I am back to my ruminating ways.The festivals give scope for increased hunger pangs and I love to wallow in the essential spices that pep up my thirst to innovate ,experiment and search for the guinea pigs.Essentially,cooking stories has always been my forte.I have to be honest.My entry into the pantry was a rather forced one.It was a compelling desire to please people and thus began the journey.
    I am sure all of you would agree that we are not born with a ladle in our hands.Neither do genetic traits always carry the passion to brew,boil or stew.Mom and mother-in-law are Kitchen Queens in their own right.Having been exposed to the grind at a tender age,I look in awe at their tenacity even today.Did The aruvamanai sharpen their skills ? Could The aatu kal and the ammee be the reason for the soft behaviour.It is a story of the mortar and the pestle,a life of willing hardwork ,a teary crush and a cheerful grind.
    Having been initiated into an oven, mavbe not though ,at a very tender age,I slowly developed the passion ....a passion that gave me room for creativity too.Simple management techniques come into play and I wish all the B schools could take in a tip or two from the working of an organised kitchen.With no offence meant to any particular community or person,the TAMBRAHM has not evolved much as far as cooking and eating habits are concerned.A safe guy,he still prefers to confine himself to the precincts of AATHU SAMAYAL.
    The mornings still begin with the degree coffee kumbakonam style...Some households have shifted to Tea too.Yet a filter coffee continues to be a hot favourite...and any conversation during the day is sure to bring about references such as.....ANTHA KADAYIL Kapi podi Supera irrukku.Each one to his own choice...."A" Evvalavu ? "B "Evvalavu ,Chicory venuma vendama ????The coffee filter has given way to the coffee maker...Yet the priorities haven't changed,The first few drops of the decoction are still sought after.
    The Puzhungarirsi kanji continues to make waves....and all that is nostalgic is yummy today.Breakfast has not changed much .Idli,Dosai,Pongal and upma continue to maintain the top slot....A hot second coffee Sip break is a must too .
    [FONT=&quot]Mamas and mamis are unwilling fora total change in culinary practices in the 21st century too.Its a continued tale of commitment.....commitment to savour the aroma that Patti had instilled in the veins.So we have migrated and crossed shores....but the love for the tamarind ,lime,mango and the tomato remains afresh.Our cooking is incomplete without the Kothamalli and the karuveppilai .We yearn for fruits ,vegetables and curd....hot rice ,sambar and piping hot rasam,thokku , podi & thugaiyal,ussili & paruppu.....appalam & vadam.....& that's about all on a daily basis .Less of Oil and great to taste...Simple it is ! and that's the way we all are.......descendants of a clan who have made Cooking so easy for us...Shouldn't we be ever thankful to them ?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:)
    [/FONT]

5 people like this.

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chokkanayaki,

Me, being a die hard foodie was instantly attracted by your title!! This is reason one.

Second reason, I bake bread regularly at home & recently named one “our daily bread” because it just serve two, I mean, both of us!!

Thirdly, I am a tambrahm!!

Last but not least, your username is the name of my ishta devathai, Meenakshi. I come from Madurai.

I am proud to say that our tambrahm cuisine has inculcated in us, the right balance in ” all spheres” along with sharpening of skills , developing the tenacity ”for any grind” in life at large!!

When a few friends tell me, ‘what is the big deal in cooking? As if it requires efficiency, calculation, patience, interest (though you might feel mine is a passion!) etc.
    A big Yes, to them.

They are the ones who can never successfully make petal-soft idlis, non-clumpy grainy upma, visually appealing maladus, homemade bread, very soft, but made with whole wheat flour or multigrain flour pizza. Of course all these are available off the shelf, but the pleasure of turning them out perfect in your own kitchen gives you so much of self-satisfaction, call it sense of achievement.

Creativity is what adds a special zing to a mundane dish. Doing something differently can give you a totally new experience!
    We are exposed to sahasranamam chanting (listening ofcourse) by one or other family member when cooking & all the positive energy does mingle with the food we cook!!

Three cheers to your post highlighting tambrahm cooking!!

5 people like this.
  3. Chokkanayaki

Dear Chitvish ,
    Its a wish I wish comes true.Oh ! let my journey with the keys touch the hearts of like minded people like you.I crave not for glory for my literary skills ,for I am but a student ,waiting to unravel what I know ,in a style that surprises me no end.If taste buds can be tingled from afar,I guess grey matter can be enriched too.My narrations are a direct offshoot of a remote influence ,distant vibes that are in tune with my line of thinking.This helps me to put forth my views freely and ofcourse the presence of learned friends like you is bound to create ripples and have a positive impact on my thought process.
    Words of appreciation give me the confidence to go ahead with my creative spurts of flair.I am at wits end too when I read what i write....:)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  4. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Great writers. I love Chitra's recipes and writings. She is Queen of Recipes. CN, you are so good in expressing your opinions so well. I am big fan of both of you. CN, do u love to cook too???

1 person likes this.
  5. Chokkanayaki

Oh !So you are a coffeelover.I do not claim to be a great gourmet, but I do have a taste for perfection...A cappuccino makes my day too.People around me ,certify that I am a reasonably good cook.Yet ! let me tell you ..I am hard pressed for time and so I maintain a simple routine in whatever I do.The pantry does eat away a slice of my day and the rush hour is devoted to plain, simple and healthy cooking.Holidays see the best of different kinds of veg cuisine,though I must admit that I am not too comfortable venturing into new territory with three demanding generations at home...Ofcourse the kitchen is a domain where I get new ideas to create on my own terms....The trials and errors are holding me in good stead and so I love to cook not just stories but Good Food too :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  6. AArchana

AArchana Gold IL'ite

Nice snippet maami!!! I'm a foodie and I have a passion to cook too.. Have read and cooked Chitra mam's recipes.. My fav side dishes are podi for most of the tiffin items and vadagam & pickle for rice items.. Oho I missed curd chilles.. Though mom prepares chutneys for idly or dosas I won't eat it without podi!!! I think this podi, vadagams and curd chilles are pakka tambrahms items..