1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

An oil misspill !

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Chokkanayaki, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Chokkanayaki

Chokkanayaki Silver IL'ite

Kausalya Supraja Rama Purva Sandhya …….It was 4AM.Nayaki woke up to the lilting melody of Sri Venkateswara Suprabhatham rendered by M S Subbulakshmi.The petite dame sat up in bed,with closed eyes.She held her two palms together and had a quick glimpse of the Godesses of health,wealth and enlightenement.

With the day well begun,she set upon her tasks in a routine manner.It was c
    ustomary to light the divine lamp with sesame oil and then go about the rest of the day in typical TambrahmBong fashion.
    The capsicums and shallots are fresh .”I shall use them to make sambhar for today’s lunch ,“a beaming Nayaki muttered unto herself.The diced tender beans ,cut drumsticks,pieces of pumpkin,yam,shelled peas,shredded cabbage and scraped carrots awaited their fate.The middleaged Tambrahm was in the meantime,slowly slipping back into her oriental memories.

The damsel belonged to the best part of two centuries and she was a beautiful blend of two not so different cultures also.If breakfasts saw an alacarte of delightful sandwiches with chutneys.yummy idlis with sambar,luchis with aloo,…..lunch and dinner too saw the best of TamBong vegetarian cuisine.

Kannamani was a caring mother in law.Yet she wielded a ruler too.Lovingly she had initiated her daughter in law Vijaya into the tricks of the culinary trade.As she taught the basics,over and over again,Nayaki was a beneficiary too.A stern Kannamani had the rules of procurement, of the monthly provisions also, neatly laid down , in a calendar ,that always hung on the door of the kitchen . .

The rules were meticulously carried over to a new calendar every year.The monthly provisions read 5 litres refined groundnut oil,2 litres Sesame oil,200 gms of coconut oil,1 kg cooking butter for ghee,500gms of mustard oil for the Bong delicacies….and then went on to cover all the other requirements of a joint family.

The oil for the lamps was Sesame,the seasoning for sambhar and Kuzhambu in sesame,coconut oil for aviyal and all coconut based savoury preparations,fresh ghee for spluttering mustard seeds into the rasam,ghee pongal,rava pongal etc etc ,mustard oil for Aloor Dhum,Brinjal Fry, Dhal……..and so on.

It was a weekend and as was the practice, the Iyer family were getting ready to host Bengali friends over lunch.The menu was Roasted aloo,Beans and cabbage,carrot salad with a dash of lime,mix veg sambhar,Aviyal ,rasam,….and the mandatory curds & pickle……all in typical Tambrahm style

For those who may not be aware,the Aviyal is a South Indian delicacy….a mix veg stew where the main ingredient is fresh coconut paste and curd.Fresh coconut oil is used for the seasoning.

The friends arrived and were pleasantly in for a surprise.As they entered the Iyer home, the familiar aroma of mustard oil welcomed them.It was a blend of other fragrances as well and the taste buds were being tingled.

You must have noticed that if you are a cook, whilst you cook and afterwards too,you seldom breathe in air that smells of a rich aroma that emanates from the hot pot in front of which you stand.It was a similar situation that day.Vijaya went about her chores and was pleased with herself.It was the sight of a well laid out table that impressed her…that her sense of smell did not work ,did not bother her either.

Orthodox Tambrahms do not believe in tasting the food while cooking.Years of experience teach them to evaluate the cooked food based on the final presentation alone…and Vijaya was no different.

In the meantime,Subu had gone out to get some sweets.As he entered ,he was a lil surprised too_Oh ! Vijaya he called out to his wife,”Have you prepared some Bengali dish too ?”….” No ! Ofcourse Not “replied Vijaya…it’s a South Indian Special today…Subu chose to ignore the smell and joined his friends for adda over the full meals.

The buffet had been spread out and friends helped themselves.Bengalis love sambhar and rasam and Vijaya was generous in her preparation.As she joined the luncheon group Nayaki chipped in to serve too."Oh ! Mom ! the Aviyal tastes a lil weird…rather scented too….Its not Ok !Can you please taste it ?" Vijaya was taken aback and hesitatingly took out a spoonful of the mix veg stew to taste.She was in for a shock.The rich stew was perfumed.She went into the kitchen to find out the reason for such a gross error.She picked up the plastic blue coloured bottle that read Coconut Hair oil…Hurriedly she ran into the bedroom.A similar blue coloured plastic bottle lay on the dressing table….the contents were Plain Coconut Oil …The provisions had arrived the previous day and had been inadvertently placed….

Nayaki was quick to react.That’s my handiwork.Please excuse us dear friends…Subu then went on to ask…Why do I smell mustard oil too ?Vijaya seemed to have an answer…" Dear girl..When I asked you to light the oil lamp which oil did you use ?" Nayaki went in and brought a bottle of oil….and it happened to be mustard oil.

Both mustard and sesame oil are almost the same in colour.

In those days when satchets were not available , tins were dear, the local kirana was the only provision store……oil,rice and pulses were bought in loose…..

The lamp was burning in mustard oil and to this day friends also remember with a hearty laugh that a Keo Karpin alike was used as an ingredient in the mix veg stew one fine day…..:rotfl

4 people like this.
  2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Nayaki dear welcome to snippets. Just read from your profile that you joined IL yesterday only and today you have come with a wonderful snippet. Enjoyed reading it. You did not write whether you made any other vegetable and how was the reaction of the guests.

1 person likes this.
  3. bhuvisrini

bhuvisrini Gold IL'ite

ohhhhhh!!!!!! had good laugh dear.........So u people had tasted Keo Karpine Avaiyal...that was wonderful narration :) Enjoyed ;)

1 person likes this.
  4. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chokkanayaki Sister,

Welcome to IL family, Username startup with a great thought provoking Snippet makes me feel that we have missed you all these days.

Glad you are "IN" better late than never.:)

Keep flying high, there are so many brothers and sisters who are equally good and would be awaiting to read many more, Best wishes.

1 person likes this.
  5. Chokkanayaki

Chokkanayaki Silver IL'ite

As I travel down memory lane,I shall try to highlight the fall outs of the faults in my later posts :)

6. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chokkanayaki
    A hearty welcome to IL and to Snippets in particular. You shine like a batsman who scores a century on his maiden appearance in an international arena! I see you as another bright light that has been switched on to illuminate this august Forum. The narration is extremely racy and the end has a O'Henry kind of twist in it except that yours has a generous touch of humour whereas Henry spreads gloom!

I look forward to many more lively snippets from you!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Chokkanayaki

I don't know where to start with my admiration. What a remarkable effort to make everyone laugh in your very first attempt to post in IL. When Kannamani was brought into the post, I thought this post is going to be one of those MIL-DIL relationship post. But I did not anticipate this post to have that kind of climax with hair oil being used for avial. Your presenting it in a hilarious snippet despite what this family went through shows your ability to take things in good spirit. Nayaki has become a true Kadhanayaki (Heroin) in this wonderful snippet.

Keep writing those wonderful snippets and I wholeheartedly welcome you to this snippet section.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chokanayaki,
    A hearty welcome to IL! You have started with a bang with your first snippet itself. Hope to have many more like this to entertain us!
    PS

1 person likes this.
  9. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dear chokannaiki
    Welcome aboard! That was funny I must say! Was wondering ? What may have been the outcome if the misspill was CASTOR oil......more so if one of the invitees were pregnant, ha...ha...nayaki would have to dump the dinner and take to the task of midwifery .
    I am sure this is just the beginning of some beautiful posts.
    Mega

1 person likes this.
  10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chokkanayaki,

Welcome to IL and very welcome to snippets!

Well, the second welcome seems unnecessary considering the number of posts you have already subscribed to this forum, you are at home in Snippet section I see!:thumbsup

It is a point to note that you landed in the FP forum with the very first post, thanks to our Iyerviji. Congrats!

Just as I was digesting the oil misspill, I am drowning in the overspill of your snippets!:drowning Being as slow as I am, I was contently complimenting myself on reading three of your posts only to realize that there were more in line waiting to be consumed!! You talk about rollers on feet to meet the chores in house ( in the other thread), how about the rollers you seem to have fixed to your fingers??:)

Nice to note that there is a very vibrant and worthy entrant into our already rocking snippets forum. I am enjoying your snippets!

L, Kamla

2 people like this.