1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My journey

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by cotton, Sep 6, 2012.

1. cotton

cotton Senior IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]Frankly speaking I never knew what life is all about and even now, I am still learning. I had been this shy, sensitive, reserved, confused and introverted girl all my life until I felt that I had to change and learn to live on my own - emotionally. My intention was right but the way I reached it (to some extent only!) has been so traumatising for the hyper-sensitive me!

Initially I realised that I am way too emotionally dependent on my loved ones, be it family (although I took them for granted many times) or friends. I had a hard time getting over the fact that I can be no more with my dear friends because we moved back to hometown. I struggled to lead my life with new people, surroundings and school - not able to let go off my old friends and not able to get along with new people in the new place. Soon, I stopped trying and went with the flow during which more bonding with my family happened. I couldn’t imagine what would happen to me without them. This feeling started when I heard my friend’s mother expired. I was upset for days together. Then life caught on and the thoughts were soon buried inside my head. The next shock was my grandfather’s death. This was the first time I had seen death at close quarters, I was shaken badly. And, the buried thoughts surfaced again. At that time I was 17 (I lived in India then) and the only way to learn to live my life all by myself seemed to be going away from my family - for education. So, I decided I will study engineering and live in a hostel. That could be a starting point, I thought. Luckily, my family was willing to let me go.

So, new place, new people, new life. Till date I think that it was first best move, I have met so many different people, learnt so much about the world, the society, the thinking! Ofcourse, I have shared wonderful friendships. But, I was still not happy with myself. I was still clinging on to others, depending on them emotionally. I set out to change that and I had a long way to go.

My next stop in my journey was going abroad for doing masters. Here again, my family had been very supportive and let me go. I was very happy. New life again in different settings. There was not a single soul whom I knew there. I kept in touch with family and friends back in India. I got along (or so I thought!) with other students. But soon enough I realised life wasn’t going well. With no loved ones around me, I looked for deeper relationships in my friends and entertained whatever they did. Soon, their behavior escalated to hurling abuses at me, misusing my shy & soft nature to their advantage, making me the centre stage (poking fun at me) with other friends and totally ignoring my words. I gave them space in my heart so that I can feel happy with them but they sat on my head and caused a lot of grief. Thanks to these few ‘friends’, I soon became an outcast and no one would talk to me. Being lonelier than ever, I was desperate to have friends.

Finally, my inner voice & I had a long argument and I soon spilled the beans about my plight to folks in India. They were my support system, they helped me realise I am in wrong company. I needed to get out & fast. So, I did, I tried my best to stay strong and answer back. I took my life in my hands and kicked them out of my life. After that, I still stayed there but I was always depressed. I hated myself, I hated my decision to come abroad. I wished I would disappear into thin air. As they say, time is a great healer and it did (if not all). I kept to myself and stopped being desperate for a friend. I got used to living alone. I read many inspirational articles & quotes. Then I realised :

- I have to love myself first.
    - I do not need to let go off my self-respect and personal space for a relationship to survive, that is where the relationship starts to die.
    - I was always looking for my happiness in others’ actions which is wrong. I am responsible for my happiness
    - I was still emotionally dependent on others meaning I got upset if someone didn’t call me back.
    - I cannot say ‘no’ to anyone which is where some people start taking advantage.

I set to work and I have to a certain extent changed in my thoughts, behavior and actions. Somewhere around this time, my husband entered my life and he had been this strong supportive pillar all along. I had cursed myself and people I had met who made my life miserable but thinking back I am grateful that I met them, that I fought with myself to become a stronger person emotionally. I agree I am not emotionally detached but from where I was 10 years ago, I have improved a lot. :clap

P.S. It is my birthday month and usually at this time of the year, my thoughts go back to the year or years that have passed and see what has changed - so this post!:hide:

Thanks for reading. :)
    [/JUSTIFY]

10 people like this.

2. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

Dear Cotton,
    That was a wonderful straight from the heart post.We come across many people & not all of them we would love to cherish.As you say improvement comes within.I think most of us would have come across what you have undergone.Enjoy every stage of your life as you do.I liked your self made attitude.Its my birthday month too but unlike you I dont go & dust my past but I do dust my wardrobe to see if I have any new dress & see what is latest chocolate to have this month. :)(Silly me:))Anyways keep your spirits high on this month.

2 people like this.
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear cotton
    First of all, let me extend a hearty welcome to Snippets. This appears to be your first thread in Snippets and let me tell you that it's disarming openness has simply floored me. I always thought that introspection was purely a personal matter in which one had a one-to-one chat with himself. But you have proved me wrong. Your journey is a kind of introspection that is very public spirited. It will help everyone in similar circumstances to overcome the pain of loneliness and break free.

Those five points that you have diagnosed as the cause of all your problems are relevant to every one of us. These are the shackles that tie us down to a state of emotional vacuum. It is good that you have been able to put your finger exactly on the cause of your problem and set to working on it. I am happy that you have achieved great progress in a decade. All that remains is only to consolidate on your emotional gains. I have no doubt that you will change your life to your own chosen course and not drift along wherever it takes you.
    Sri

4 people like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Cotton,

It is a clean straight from the heart post and thank you for presenting this as a lesson for many of us. There is all powerful consciousness inside of us and in order to invoke that consciousness, we need to be strong and Self-confident. This all powerful consciousness is full of Truth, Righteousness, Peace, Love and Non-violent by nature. All other nature that we have are made either by our past or current actions. We need to understand the difference between humility and fearlessness. We need to be steadfast in our convictions. We can say 'no' to others firmly but obligingly.

Searching for happiness in others' action is like searching for the lost key in bright light after losing it in a dark place. We have to search for happiness inside of us where we lost it. In fact, the consciousness residing in us is Blissful which is equivalent to 1 zillion times the happiness we enjoy in our day to day life. The words and actions of others hurt us only when we receive and react. We should refuse to receive those hurtful words and actions like rejecting the registered mail. Even if we receive it accidentally, we should be determined not to react and remove those reactionary thoughts away.

It is our own thoughts we are not worthy of relationship/friendship with others that bothers us constantly. Let us not benchmark how we are able to relate with others and let us learn to set our own goals and benchmark ourselves with those goals. You are on a stunning recovery path and finding those answers is the first step in the road of recovery. Keep going further by implementing those thoughts you have listed. It is a sign of your mind listening to the convictions of your intellect derived from values of your consciousness. It is difficult to achieve and when the going is good, try to grab the bull by the horn and implement those disciplines.

Your life will be on a disciplined path towards peace and happiness. The journey inside of us is hard but fulfilling. God bless you.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  5. GeethaMR

GeethaMR Silver IL'ite

Dear Cotton,
    Great post. Straight from the heart.
    Like a summary of a great book, the book on life's turns and twists!
    Wishing you will find all happiness in yourself.

6. cotton

cotton Senior IL'ite

Thank you dear Ambika for your first feedback. Now that I have looked back at the years gone by & did a little introspection, it is time for me to search for that perfect birthday dress ;-) Same pinch for our birthdays in the same month - Wish you happiness always!

7. cotton

cotton Senior IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya, thank you for gracing my thread and the warm welcome to the snippets section. I don't know what to say after reading that my post has floored you! Thank you very much.

8. cotton

cotton Senior IL'ite

Dear Viswamitra, thank you for adding your valuable points. It was a intuitive decision to post about the lessons I learnt & I am glad I did. If somebody will find this thread helpful to deal with their pain of loneliness like Cheeniya mentioned, I would be more than happy. Thank you for stopping by :)

9. cotton

cotton Senior IL'ite

Dear Geetha, thank you for the feedback. As you & the other Ilites wrote, it is indeed straight from my heart & the lessons I learnt are ones I can never ever forget :)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  10. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hi Cotton,

Good introspection :) wish you a very happy birthday in advance.