1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dress Code for Teachers

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by mathangikkumar, Aug 9, 2012.

1. mathangikkumar

mathangikkumar Platinum IL'ite

Good decision by Tamil Nadu Education Ministry for dress guidance for Lady Teachers.
    Hope Kerala does the same and in fact all over India.
    Our Maha Bharath will be real Maha Bharath.
    Tamil Nadu teachers asked to wear clothes that dont tempt students

From the time I have seen teachers ,all I know,were decently dressed and those days it was only sarees and that was also worn properly with the pleats pinned neatly and pallu tucked. The blouses were never "Khushboo" blouses.

When I became teacher my instinct told me to follow my teachers. I had back button blouses during my college days and I continued after marriage also. Later When I took up this noble profession, I stitched all like the normal blouse types.
    With the punjabi suits invading the dress culture in south it was welcomed with both hands. For one it covered from head to toe . The dupatta is supposed to cover the bosom but it never struck the one who wore or wears it now, and it's just a show piece to adorn the neck, it has lost its purpose.
    Some schools till now follow uniforms for teaching staff and they provide them also. It's good idea.
    The school where I worked, had teachers wearing all types of dresses that covered the body and one's modesty. Later as the young ,fresh graduates entered the scene, it had a different look alltogther. Some came with the long skirt , some with short skirts, some in jeans , half sarees and long skirts ,jeans - tee shirts. The teachers should know how to present themselves in front of the children in the class and outside. Many a times parents had come and given feedback about teachers way of dressing up.It put the management into shame. Though it's individuals's right to dress up the way one wants, it can't be made as a blanket rule.
    It should be taken in the light spirit and it's not for those who are already doing a good job.
    Decency needs to be maintained at some places especially in educational institutions- a temple of learning. It's essential for those who handle the adolescents, they have to be doubly careful in their way of dressing up.
    I have felt awkward when I had to face my female colleague not dressing up decently, had to silently bear it.
    There was an objection raised for the teachers wearing glass bangles and anklets which make the sound. Teachers when they work on the black boards disturb the students' concentration so also when they are busy writing the examination, the teacher's anklet's sound disturbed their flow of thinking. We did have some teachers who felt offended saying it's their right and they have been wearing and they do not agree with the students. But all students are not the same, a teacher's job is to see a student do well and what's wrong if the teachers give up an accessory like thing?

My only advice to all members of my community, irrespective of whatever your nature of job, a home maker etc....after dressing up stand in front of the mirror take a look at yourself- lift your arms, rotate your body, bend, and do some basic exercises to know what's the status of your dress 'kya haalat hai '.You can have a dry run , a teacher try to write on the board, gesture your hands, desk job people try out your bending and your revolving actions, try driving your two wheeler..etc,etc.,...........
    Dressing up decently should be the priority of every woman.

Some schools in Bangalore have given dress code to the parents who come to drop their wards in school , many decent parents have raised objections to those parents not to come in their night dress to drop the wards as it spoils the mind of their wards and some children themselves found it awkward of their parents coming to drop them in the bus stop, school in mere nightie ,in Bermudas and shorts, unkempt hair giving an impression it was directly from the bed.... There were counter arguments but if one sees the logic it's a welcome code of conduct. Even this 'dress code' has spread to some temples in Bangalore.
    It's disgusting to see women come to the shop in the campus in nighties in the mornings and they also come to puttheir wards in the school bus may be at their door steps.
    Sometimes I feel we can take a leaf out of the servants who get up early in the mornings to attend to domestic chores at various houses. They may not be having good quality, costly dresses but they have modesty and a sense of womanhood. Their dresses may not suit them but come well presenting them. Their nature of job may not go well with their dress. I hope many working places join the bandwagon and set rules for the women to dress up and claim respect.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2012
    9 people like this.

2. navis

navis Gold IL'ite

3. getstrngth

getstrngth Gold IL'ite

They should also be a rule that teachers shouldn't beat children or harass children... Our physics teacher used to be cruel... she used to beat on our bones on our hands if we make a mistake... and the next punishement was to tie a girl's tie with boy's tie for not completing the task... Thank god our class session escaped and my next session went through that... We were in class 8 and girls were reaching puberty... It was so embarrassing... Being a woman herself enjoyed doing that to us... Parents complained to the School management but no action was taken...

4. manojob

manojob Bronze IL'ite

A very good decision taken by the Tamilnadu Government to make Dress code Mandatory for the teachers.

5. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

hello madam,

an excellently written piece about how one should think twice before presenting themselves to the outside world.

And coming to the rule part, i believe its does seem to be a good decision - frankly speaking i have never seen teachers in TN wearing anything other than a saree when i was studying but maybe things have changed now.

But my question is, does it truly make a difference? When i joined college, i was shocked to see the way people changed a simple dress into a sleezy one. I had this french lecturer who was very young to be a teacher and was very modern. So the rule of wearing nothing but a saree as a lecturer didnt work well with her. She ended up wearing blouses which had absolutely no back or sometimes transparent blouses. And on top of it she would never ever pin her saree. So the pallu kept slipping down - say atleast 50 times during the lectures - and it was horrible to watch.

On the other hand, i have seen many people - many of my friends who could manage even a short skirt with so much elegance and dignity, that even those clothes would look vulgar or indecent.

So i feel that it really does not matter how many rules you bring in place just to ensure people are dressing decently. Even the modest looking clothes can be worn in a provocative manner and vice versa. As long as the person involved does not have the urge to dress decently enough, i believe nothing would work - JMO

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  6. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

You did not bear anything silently...passing remarks jokingly or otherwise is not bearing it in silence.

In fact it is the other people who are bearing things in silence when you shoot your mouth without minding your own business.

:eek:mg:Are you suggesting that she started to dress up provocatively because her husband was out of station.....Wow....

Do you even know the weight of the accusation you are heaping on a person.

Though I would not like to step put of my house in nightie, I feel like laughing that children's minds are getting spoilt by seeing this. Dont those very same kids see their moms in nighties all the time at home. So a 5 minute exposure is spoiling their mind? :rotfl

About others wearing Bermudas or shorts, it is non of anybody's business. If you dont like what they are wearing, please turn around and dont see them.

[QUOTE=mathangikkumar;2377561]Even this 'dress code' has spread to some temples in Bangalore[/QUOTE]

When we go to worship God, most normal people will be watchful of their words, actions and attitudes. They will be seeking God's guidance and asking Him to make them into better people.

But my MIL will be :spin looking at people whom she can criticize or gossip with.
    Their dress is not decent
    I saw this girl in an ice cream parlor with friends
    This girl is too fat...so she over eats
    His parents are expecting so much dowry.....her running commentary about people will never stop.

At the end of the day almost everyone would have bonded with God except this self righteous gossip who wasted the whole trip by not thinking of God or her own sinful nature even for a second.

So why go to worship God in the first place? Focus on why you go to temple. Do that work and come back home. You will have God's blessings.

Jealousy also exhibits itself as self righteousness. :)

7. foxybeat

foxybeat Platinum IL'ite

I can quote an incident that happened during my college days. There was this lady lecturer, dressed neatly in her crisp cotton sarees and very decent looking. There was one good looking guy in our class who it was obvious she liked. One day all of us were asking her for a 'free period' and she was refusing and was adamant on taking class. This guy walks into the class and asked her for free period and she agreed at once in front of the class of 65 students and when we all yelled, she was actually blushing.

So since she was dressed decently was this acceptable. As a teacher, would you accept this or condone this?

8. vidhu63

vidhu63 Gold IL'ite

Mam,

Well said, Vaazhga Jayalalitha Madam. When we have forgotton to present how should be as a teacher then we are inviting these kind of rules. It's quite natural.

9. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

Actually one more thing...everytime you jokingly hint to your colleague about her dress, she might not say anything to your face.

But trust me, if some day you get lucky enough to hear her mind voice, you will never ever open your mouth again about other people's dresses.

10. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

I dunno why all laws, codes, ethics are directed towards women folk alone:spin:spin

...Teachers irrespective of gender should look & act with dignity....

I have had male teachers with tight pants,transparent shirts that would show their vest, or yuck:rant sometimes their bodily hair too...

Are there any provisions to curb them ???

5 people like this.