1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Can I even the score? May I?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by eandian, Jul 5, 2012.

1. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

No matter how hard I try, it is almost impossible for me to shed a few routine mistakes that I commit when it comes to the use of two very common and simple words --- CAN and MAY.

The interchangeability of these two words are acceptable in some situations but not in others and mom tried to set things right in vain (while daddy watched helplessly at her unashamed love affair with MR.Wren and MR. Martin).

Even when she tried to hit me in the head with that dusty tattered old book, this is one of the many things that refused to enter my microscopic brain.

It is not rocket science you say and it is pretty simple to understand that the word 'CAN' is usually used to imply the 'ability' to do something and 'MAY' is used when asking for 'permission'. May I do this...Can I do this. So simple DUH....Not for me.

Well since none other than mom complained about it, and since almost everyone was doing it, I let it slide.

And then a few years later as a young bride, I was invited by a nice 70 year old American couple for dinner.

Thanks to our Indian public bathrooms, like most of us, I too have trained my bladder never to use one. So liquid consumption is minimal before and during the time I wander outside the house.

However to be polite to the hostess, I had to use lots and lots of water to flush down the bland grilled meat (my palate had limited experience at that time).

However her apple pies made with apples from her backyard were to die for and after I mentioned it for the hundreth time, she finally got the clue and to my relief, she packed someto take home. Yippeee.

They were a nice couple and we spent longer than we had planned. But physiology waits for no man. And I couldnt control anymore and asked her, "Can I use the bathroom?" She gave me this puzzled look wondering why I would ask if I CAN use her CAN? But I was not in a position to clear her doubts and dashed off.

After reaching home, I told Dh that I almost gave her a scare whether I was infact potty trained.

Fast forward ..... During the past one year, I keep hearing one single line again and again throughout the day......Nope not a religious chant to keep me heaven bound.

Instead.... it is a non stop voice ....'mommy can I do this, Mommy can I do that', etc etc through out the day.

When I corrected her to ask for things in a polite way instead of her usual 'mommy I want this' or 'mommy give me that', little did I know that I was encouraging her to ask non stop.

Like mommy like daughter, she also mixes her CAN and MAY... So I decided to make dd learn this properly from the beginning.

After teaching her for a few days, I told her that I will delay obliging to her request for 2 minutes as a hint if she does not say the right word and I was overjoyed when she understood this game and slowly learnt their proper usuage too.

She also seemed to enjoy this game....or did she?

During a weekend park visit, I saw a giant wheel and asked her if she would like to go on one. The little one was terrfied and clinged to me and asked whether a giant had come to the park. I calmed her and pointed to the giant wheel.

she gave me the same puzzled look and as usual in her loud voice cried....."mommy you are wrong. That is not a giant wheel, it is a ferris wheel. See mommy there are only kids playing on it. There is no giant mommy. Dont be scared mommy".

Then over flowing with joy and almost rofl, she turned toward DH and said, "Daddy, mommy is wrong, mommy is wrong." The joy she had at my 'mistake' reflected how much she must have waited to finally correct me. Was I so annoying?

I panicked.....Me??? Wrong??? How can it be? After many years I have successfully programmed DH to believe that his wife can never be wrong. So he naively takes blame for everything that goes wrong.

Did mom's "blessings" that someday 'I face the same troubles that I gave her' coming true finally?. If this is a start, I am really terrified as I know what awaits me.

And if this is not an emrgency, then what is?. This cute little imp is giving ideas to daddy that there is a chance that mommy can be wrong (Gasp) and is changing the established natural order of things. How dare she? I fumed.

Nothing more to tell about the park visit as I was busy plotting about ways to put an end to this.

We reached home and she asked me with a sweet smile oblivious of the damage she has already done, "mommy can I watch cartoons now?"

I said, "Yes dear".....paused and then continued......"You CAN but you MAY not" and walked away with an evil grin as she continued with a 'but mommy.....'.

In revenge and in love woman is more barbaric than man is - FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE.

20 people like this.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

May I dear eandian have the pleasure of telling you what a delightful read this made? I simply loved it. The clarity of thought, the use of language and the interlaced humour!
    How can that not put a smile on one's face! I want to say more eandian, but I don't want to be caught with my usage of what you know. I loved your idea of pausing for a minute or a so when one's child uses the wrong word/usage and I couldn't help but feel personally for me, that means a minute to check on the internet and learn a little more myself!

I am not sure if I have read you earlier in snippets! Welcome to snippets. May I also lead you to another thread http://www.indusladies.com/forums/education-and-personal-growth/43682-english-matters.html if you have not already visited it?

Look forward to reading more from you! And let me assure you that I will be one of those people pausing to think about the use of my 'May's and 'Can's starting this minute! English! What a joy!

6 people like this.
  3. kylie

kylie Gold IL'ite

dear eandian,

Good one - just love your style n humour. The dinner incident was really funny. Agree, most of us do get confused with MAY/CAN. I remember those days sitting with WREN MARTIN n dreading the grammar exam.

love,
    kylie

1 person likes this.
  4. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Srama for that delightful FB.

Yes, I am new to the snippets.

This is my third. (Previous ones - http://www.indusladies.com/forums/snippets-of-life-non-fiction/171331-all-for-want-of-feather.html and http://www.indusladies.com/forums/s...ion/168080-rip-van-winkle-my-scribblings.html)

I have seen the english matters thread and read a couple of pages. Had planned to make time to read it. Thanks for reminding me about that excellent thread.

5. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kylie....Thanks for the FB and like.

Agreed...we were also under a lot of performance pressure during grammar exams because mom was an Englidh prof.

6. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Dear eandian,

That is a nice snippet with humorous touch. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Yes. The little ones initially think that mother knows everything in the world and always they are right. But when they find fault, how happy they are!!

Better I double check my posts. Or else you may wait for a day to give me your FB, so that I think and rectify. Ha! Ha1

Apart from grammar, even the well learned people mentioning OMR (Old Mahabalipuram Road) as OMR road. I would think what is this road for, it is already there. I would feel like Funny!!

Regards
    Manjukps

1 person likes this.
  7. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

Dear Manju,
    I only teach her that grammar. I dont exactly follow that....that is why she is also mixing it up constantly .... :)

So fear not. I do it all the time.

Guilty as charged.....OMR road....will avoid next time. :) Now that you say it, weird and funny. My husband has his biggest road rages here because he had to pay toll and yet buffaloes and cows are allowed for free.

8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hahhah that was a good one, eandian. :thumbsup

Well, we had this very intellectual looking professor who taught a boring subject in college ( I have written somewhere about him already ) but we girls loved his sense of humour and English. One girl in our class wanted to go to the loo so stood up " Sir, Can I go to the bathroom?"
    The prof paused for a whole two minutes stroking his beard and smilingly told her " You can go, young lady but you may not" The poor girl got so flustered as the whole class burst out laughing.
    but I am sure he drilled into all of us the correct usage that day..LOL

4 people like this.
  9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Eaindian

May I take this opportunity to reprimand the mother who wanted to even the score..now that's a sweet little baby of yours who is trying her level best to understand the funny language called English..

Can you give her a hug on my behalf..

now please don't ask me to open the wren and martin too, already i am having tough times with the oxford dictionary opened next to me..

The line between formal and informal becomes invisible after a point and thus adds more confusion to a already confusing usage of may/can...

Enjoyed it..:thumbsup

3 people like this.
  10. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

That is a good one Mindian. Smart professor.