1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mind Your Language

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Jun 24, 2012.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

[JUSTIFY]The author does not hold herself responsible for any sense of outrage felt by readers. If you are easily scandalized by the slightly off-colour language that is in common usage these days, you will do well to skip this post and go on to the next snippet.

English is a funny language (notwithstanding the fact I love it very dearly). It is sometimes really galling how some words cannot be used in their "legitimate" sense any more all because someone just decided to hijack the word to mean something very different altogether. Many an unwitting, unsuspecting person could end up with red face :oops: if they were to use certain words without knowing the "other" meaning.

The first time I experienced this was when I told a friend in the UK that "I wouldn't spend a penny" on something. She laughed and told me never to say that in front of a Brit. Apparently "spending a penny" was commonly used to mean visiting the toilet - one had to pay a penny when using public toilets in the past. Of course the fact that it cost 25 pence when I was there did not make a difference to the expression.

Yesterday a friend of mine told me she was in splits (meaning she had a hearty laugh, not that she split in two) when she read that I had to run for the "dicky" to understand some words which I did not understand. :hide: She asked me if I knew what the word meant. Now of course I did (for those who don't, please run to the nearest dicky and check it out yourself - I would be banned from this site if I were to explain such an inanity here in graphic detail), but I had not thought of it when I very fondly referred to my favourite book of words by that name. :bonk

I think twice for this very reason to say "That is a really gay colour" or "I am feeling very gay" or "The mood at the meeting was really gay" or "He is really gay". The word has become really taboo, although its original intent was to convey a very happy state of affairs.

Take for example the word pansy. I can't say "Oh, how I love pansies" when I love a flower, simply because I would get strange looks.

Long ago I had read a book by Anurag Mathur called "The Inscrutable Americans" whose protagonist is an "innocent" student who steps out of his little village in Madhya Pradesh for the first time. Here is an excerpt of his letter to his parents. Note the misconception he had when he heard a commonly used slang.

:rotfl

Imagine the situation if I were wanting to go to Alaska and someone were to tell me a certain jacket or anorak looked really "cool". :spin Why on earth would I want to buy it when I wanted something to keep me warm? :bonk

How on earth could a skimply clothed damsel look hot? Would she not be cold when she was so barely covered? :idontgetit:

Or how can smoking be "cool" for that matter? :confused2:

Talking of smoking, brings me to the topic of butts. Why would anyone keep butting onto the personal rights of a person smoking a butt and tell him to kick the butt (would this smoker understand the term or would he go and kick the butt of this "butt"er-in)? Or why indeed would he keep butting in and disturb someone who was already working his butt off? :help

Here was another situation where a friend went to the US and was stopped for checking at the customs. He was carrying some “darbha” herbs with him for some shraddha rituals which are performed routinely. He was asked what that was. He did himself in when he replied “it is grass” and had some lengthy explanations to give before he was let off. :biglaugh

So dears, I hope you will be very careful next time you use this English "tongue" (figuratively I mean, not literally).[/JUSTIFY]

26 people like this.

2. kanthaeikon

kanthaeikon Gold IL'ite

Hi Satchi
    Cool !!!!!! as usual I am carried away with my own experience.
    kantha

2 people like this.
  3. satchitananda

Thanks Kantha. Could you please share some experiences from your visit to NZ?

4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchi,

What you wrote is 100% true. No doubt about it. I learnt English in the Wren and Martin way. E mail English which youngsters write and SMS...difficult to understand. it takes a while.

When in London I was invited to a party and I told my inability to attend it due to some reasons. Do you know what the response was "Shame on you!". I felt hurt but did not say anything. Later another friend of mine explained to me it is an expression to say....."You missed a great party, a life time opportunity." Not only language some cultural habits also look strange.....which are taboo in India are O.k. in other countries.

Syamala

3 people like this.
  5. satchitananda

Hi Shyamala,

Yes, this "oh that's such a shame" - I had forgotten that. I too was wondering the first time I heard it. One lady in the boss' office once told me my English sounded very "quaint". :-D

6. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Satchi...:rotfl:rotfl.

That's a good one.....:thumbsup

I am sharing one of my experiences....

Our family friend in NE asked..." Aap akele "marketing" jaa sakthe ho? " ( Can you go to "marketing" alone? ) which made me ...:spin:spin:spin.. What should I market? Where should i market?....:spin
    Later I understood that it is the common term for "shopping" there.....:bonk

One more,

My cousin's DD when she was in class3 wrote "Pink" while filling up a form , where mother tongue was asked.....:rotfl

10 people like this.
  7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

True Sats!
    These ever-changing slangs and connotations kill me.

Did you know when I was in the seventh-grade in India one girl told me that the phrase "beat me" had a different meaning; you would be scandalized.

A couple of days ago my son was praising "Lebron James" the basketball player as "dirty". I asked him "dirty?" to which he responded "yeah mom his shots are so perfect it's almost dirty"...hmmm!
    Can never figure out these in my lifetime I think.
    I grew up with, or rather my sons made me grow up with "cool", "sweet", "smashing" and now "dirty"...all superlative positive adjectives.

7 people like this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

"Shame on you" is an expression used very often to reflect that it would have been better if you made it. Similarly, it is also very common usage in the US to say, "I don't care". What they really mean is doing it either way is acceptable to them whereas I used to ready it as "I really don't care what happens".

I was laughing a lot about the person explaining "Dharba" as "Grass". I am glad that the customs let him go without doing chemical analysis of the "Grass" he bought from India. I used to get my BP medicines from India earlier and I asked my colleague in India to send it through weekly courier that they send to the parent company. That particular week, they didn't have any other documents to send and hence he sent a personal courier addressed to me. The customs called me to ask me why I was importing drugs and told me that those pills will have to go through chemical analysis before it is released. I told them to send back to India and switched over to BP medicine in the US.

Viswa

3 people like this.
  9. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Satchi i am here to say something .If any one asks "How are you" usually we say i am fine but the word "GOOD " is used there.I had such experiences with my grand children.

I want to mention here you youngsters use different style in languages and i can't follow your english.so i find the meaning from dictionary.Our IL is another school for me from where i learn about new words and the writers like you are my motivators

5 people like this.
  10. satchitananda

Hahahaha Bhargs, your cousin's daughter's reply was absolutely class. :biglaugh Yes, this term "marketing" used this way greatly disturbs me and I am always tempted to stop the conversation midstream and tell them the real meaning of the word. In fact this word is used liberally here in India too. :)