1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

This part of my life is called....MARRIAGE.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by aminroop, Jun 17, 2012.

1. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

2 weeks into our marriage and…..

It was around 4am, the Air Conditioner was at a cool 18 degrees and I was fastasleep, hugging the pillow close to my chest, lost in a dream. All of a sudden,I heard a bizarre sound, like a frog croaking! I sat up in the darkness,confused and scared. I looked around for some horrific creature scurrying around the marble floor in dead of night. The haunting noise stopped.

I turned to my then new hubby who lay huddled between a couple of blankets and pillows. With his eyes shut, lost in never never land, he looked at peace. Suddenly, his chin wobbled and there was the sound,……the croaking frog, now more like Donald Duck being strangled! With his mouth shut, he created this blood curdling sound.

What should I do? Wake him? Record it so I can laugh aboutit later? Before I could react, it was gone again. I was tempted to grab a blanket and sleep in the living room, scared that he may start all over again.but but, ( note the point.) as a ‘good’wife should, I stayed by his side.

The next morning when I confronted him, he flatly denied it initially. it took a couple of days and few voice…er…noise recordings to convince him. Though he even claimed I made the noise myself and recorded it..!.

Anyways to cut the long story short, It turned out that he can’t tolerate the air conditioner, while I on the other hand, can’t sleep without it! So as it happens, during my first few nights of my married life, the once hypnotic hum of the AC was now accompanied by hubbys sneezing, sniffing and that God awful frog in the throat noise thst could scare the dead!

But, but….Being the caring and dutiful wifey that I am, Imade several attempts to find middle ground. Initially, I insisted he take two blankets and wrap himself in it. Unfortunately that plan met with little success especially when I found that he had kicked off the blankets in the middle of the night. Next, I added a heavy quilt but he complained that it was too heavyand he couldn’t move. He even took to sleeping with a hoodie and a scarf ( looking like the night watchman!) while I increased the temperature of the ACwhich is now at 20 Degrees, but that too wouldn’t suffice.

Finally, we found some middle ground. I now switch off the AC in the early hours and replace it with the fan. This way,we both manage to sleep a little.

Now, It’s been two years into this Air Conditioning roller coaster marriage. As usual, I woke up early, switched off the AC and turned on the fan. Sitting on the edge of the bed, I took a few moments to getting my bearings right. Meanwhile, the mister, who has his legs sticking out of the blankets and lay under a mountain of pillows, sends out a muffled command,

“ TURN the A/C ON!”

I just ignore him.

the Reason being, I cant tolerate the A/C as much as he can , now!

Well, you know what they say….” marriage sure changesyou…like you cant even imagine.”

Moral of the story: never underestimate the role of A/C in a marriage! ;) he he.

17 people like this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl Poornima, never underestimate what a marriage can do to you. Very rightly said dear. You have echoed my sentiments quite accurately. I found the same thing happened here, but with a slight difference - http://www.indusladies.com/forums/snippets-of-life-non-fiction/121668-effects-of-togetherness.html

As for the fan in the room, well that is a permanent war. The days I feel hot and need the fan the BH feels very cold and insists it should be set on low. The days he is in a mood to turn on the fan full blast, I feel cold and dress up in my socks and sweater like I am off hiking to the North Pole. Well, I guess that is why God created man and woman. So they could get married and he could get some tax free entertainment.

BTW, how come you are up at such an early hour writing a snippet? The A/C is off I guess? Uh-oh sorry, it is on, right. :confused2: :rotfl

3 people like this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Aminroop,

He changed to have full blast airconditioner and you changed over not to like the a/c. At least, it is a great sign both are adjusting to the needs of the other spouse. However, you clearly put your foot down and said no a/c to his request to turn it on. Therefore, the winner is ______________. I somehow get an impression that a woman wins always in every argument in the house and a man wins his peace by letting his wife win those arguments.

Viswa

4 people like this.
  4. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

thanks satchi for the prompt fb... :) lol at the 'tax free entertainment' ;). n btw, its raining all day long. so need ofr the a/c as of nw. :)

1 person likes this.
  5. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

well you know what they say... in a marriage one person always wins and the other is the husband! ;) thanks for the fb.

2 people like this.
  6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

Marriage needs many such compromises and adjustments. The result is sharing, caring for each other and companionship, a family and many more things which makes living worthwhile. These small things like A/C or fan do not matter much.

7. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

yes yes. this was intended in lighter vein. not to be taken seriously. most of my posts are. do not worry too much reading them. ;) thanks for visiting here, shyamala.

8. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

That was a good humorous post Aminroop. Even your sleep is spoiled we got to read a nice snippet.

Ye I remember Satchi's post about Husband's and wife's interest and liking gets interchanged over years into marriage.

I think another one is how wife missed her husband's snore as her lullaby when he was away. ( I think it was vidchakra. I am not too sure)

Regards
    Manjukps

1 person likes this.
  9. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

thanks manju for ur fb. satchis i hav read. :)

10. kylie

kylie Gold IL'ite

dear aminroop,

That was a hilarious piece - enjoyed it !!

love
    kylie