1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does size matter??????

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Megalife, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

I am preoccupied with a recent incident. My cousin went for a bride seeing ritual, everything seemed picture perfect and I had hoped beyond hopes that I would finally, finally..... hear wedding bells. What is more?.... I was getting dreadfully concerned of his conspicuous potbelly; thanks to his love for coffee.
    Certainly his coffee consumption was on rise with his pushy “hunt for bride”. I am secretly relived that it is not customary to offer beer or C2H5OH for the bride seeing ceremony. Had it not been so, my cousin and his entire family would have been “grand scale drunkards” by now. This was the 18th girl he was seeing, each time something had to go off beam. Either the girl was too plump or bony; too white or too dark; too knowledgeable or ignorant; too polite or ill-bred. And if there was someone who matched their list of prerequisites, then it was difficult for the groom to fit the longer list which the bride’s people had on display.
    So finally we had this one case which was liked by the moms/dads/grandpas/grandmas/uncles/aunties/neighbours/cousins/maids/ drivers etc.................wait a sec. Well, well, did the bride and the groom like each other? I have to check and get back on this, for I am not very certain. If I recollect my yesterdays conversation with my aunt nobody shed light on this element; may be that was not a crucial aspect. Okay, I hate dragging and let me come straight to the point. This time around we had a new concern....something of which I had never thought about. The bride was half an inch taller than the prospective groom!......Hmmm.... now is that a real stumbling block???? I was desperate for an answer and turned to my supposed-to-be intelligent husband for an answer. Without even looking up from his boring power-point presentation he commentsPersonally, I like when a women is as tall as my eye level. It makes embracing comfortable”</SPAN>……My…my…now wasn’t that a sardonic remark,???? Wasn’t he reminding me that I was quite a few inches shorter than him??? And , excuse me??? I retort...… “we do not make “a shape of 10”. We women do have the innate ability to turn anything into a fight….don’t we???…even a trivial witticism???</SPAN>

I am the type of people who cannot rest when I have a lingering question, I thought of consulting my dear sister, who always had some attention-grabbing view to offer. And she adds this"Eves height was just below Adams chin? I would call that the right height………….errr… also, it has further advantages….. a girl could use his shoulder to lie her head on when dancing or walking or crying on...and also this hones the man’s shilly-shally ego when a woman has to look up at him...it gives him a sense of being mannish”
    I told you she always gave even more dimensions to a possible dilemma!!!My next alternative was to consult my 8 year old DD and pat comes this answer“ It's OK for a husband to be taller than his wife. This isn't really an important factor, all it matters is that he should be filthy rich and drive a BMW convertible!!!!” Kids these days!!!!!:rant
    This was the limit and I had made up my mind. I would ask my new found friend “Indus Ladies”…so ladies although I try not let this question bother me, it does plague me occasionally. Please help?:drowning isn't it ok for the wife to be taller?

15 people like this.

2. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi Megalife,
    enjoyed bride hunting write up.. it will be better to have husband to the wife's eye level .. he will never look down his wife :)

4 people like this.
  3. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi Padma
    Thanks for your quick fb...so you agree with my Dh's view except your reasons are different! In that case I prefer the wife to be taller, some excuse for us women to look down on our men? :0 :)
    Mega

4. sublakshmi

sublakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

It was very interesting to read. I liked yr DD reply as that what many girls dream is all about and not the size.

Have a good day.

1 person likes this.
  5. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dear subilaxmi
    ThnxxxMany for your fb.
    Ha....Ha gals will always be gals.....dream big?
    Mega

6. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hey Meg,

That's a good one buddy-:thumbsup the C2H5OH......and shape 10 ......made me..:biglaugh[​IMG]

I feel, a little difference of 2-3 inches between the groom and the bride ( bride on the lower side) is fine.

That would keep the couple ,pleasing to eyes, as years roll, and as waist lines expand ....(which is at a higher rate for us than the men in most cases.....:bonk.:bonk.)

I prefer shape 10 to 10 ......:bonkwhat say.....:rotfl...:hide:......?

3 people like this.
  7. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dear Bhargavi
    You have an eye for details....don't u? Talk about pear shaped bodies and increasing waste lines......u got my eyes all rolling. We Indians take food seriously.......a way bit too seriously and our poor waste has to bear it all in silence.
    Another vote for the man a few inches taller than his spouse. Hmmm......I guess that's what we see around most of the times. But that poses a prob for nice tall girls to find a match.
    Thanks for passing by.
    Mega

8. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

megs..it has been a long time since i logged into IL...read your snippet first...nice bride hunting ceremony of your cousin n very hilarious description by you...i would go with your sister...i would personally love if i could rest my chin on the man's shoulder..

1 person likes this.
  9. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Mega
    If we go by the story of David and Goliath, size hardly matters but then that story is not very relevant to the subject you are discussing. But I do know some couples where the wife is the Goliath and the poor husband is the David. The poor guy neither has the Divine backing nor the resourcefulness of David to emerge victorious in the battle called matrimony!

You have raised a very interesting question there and the answer will depend entirely on the perspective in which we look at it. Many people say 'Big is beautiful' and that was the predominant belief of men of my age group. That will explain to you the resounding success of many a heroine of yesteryear. The minimum requirement of a successful heroine was that they should be able to fill the entire frame of the camera. And when they ran around the trees in duets, our seats in the theatre shook as if there was an earthquake nearby measuring 7 on the Richter's scale.

Much has changed since then. Today we talk of Size '0' heroines who float through the screen like a whiff of breeze. But I can't understand the logic behind the argument that the husband must be at least three inches taller than his wife to inspire confidence in her. It may have been so when the women were totally dependent on their men but not any more. The modern women do not need a shoulder to cry on and the few left in that category may not mind stooping to their husbands' shoulders to do so!

The crux of the matter today is nicely summed by your kid. I love that answer. It is ok if he is taller but does he have anything else to prove his worth? Some of the highest paid heroes of films today do not measure even up to the nape of their heroine. The grapevine tells us that in close up shots they stand on a stool to appear taller than their girls! But these guys have all the market and that is what matters! Their names spell a hundred crore collection in the very first week of the release of their films.

Isn't it ok for the wife to be taller, you ask. I would not mind marrying the likes of Indra Nooyi even if she is a meter taller than me!
    Sri

8 people like this.
  10. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi sushma
    Been a while? Hope you have been well and resting you chin on your mans shoulder!
    See, my thread welcomed you with a whiff of romance!
    Hope to see you around and thanks for reading.
    Mega