1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Of Camels, Diabetes, Travel and Business Plans

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Mar 22, 2012.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

[​IMG]

Somehow life has a way of throwing a lot of coincidences my way. In fact I would say this seems to me to be life's favourite sport.

For instance I was chatting with another ILite in the Middle East today and the topic veered around sand storms, desert safaris, how people get lost during these safaris and probably also lose their lives, how workers are made to work at 53 degrees in the hot sun by unscrupulous bosses etc. [​IMG] Somehow deserts never attracted me. If anything I have had a fear of them. Whether this is "purvajanma samskara" or just my imagination / limited perspective of a desert which I do not particularly fancy is a different matter. The topic then turned to Rajasthan and camels being used as transport. Whatever, it would take quite some doing (I wonder who could achieve that feat) of convincing me to visit a desert.

Imagine my surprise then when I came across an article in the Deccan Herald dated 21 March 2012 (Camel milk helps cure diabetes, says ICMR study) that reported that researchers at the ICMR (Indian council of medical research) have found that camel milk helps prevent and cure Type 1 diabetes.

Another coincidence that links this to my chain of thoughts is that I am back on steroids for some nerve pain (a legacy of my surgery). As a result I have been warned not to eat sweets while on them (as they - the steroids not the sweets - can precipitate diabetes). Now the question is which is worse - the nerve pain and burning in the toes or not eating sweets.

So trust some scientists for coming up with this bit of news. (I love scientists, I really do. Imagine how much they contribute towards posts in this forum). Now that is certainly an incentive to move to the desert. I mean, just think, I can spend a bit of money on a couple of female camels, get some milk from them free of charge (of course other than keeping them well fed), get a few free rides on their backs and have my bones exercised and kept in fine mettle. And when I am a bit rich, I can have a whole collection of them and can start a business selling camel's milk. After all, India has been predicted to be a hot bed as far as people turning diabetic is concerned. (Kamalji, what do you say about my business acumen)?

So not only can I cure my diabetes (if God forbid I get it - which I am sure I won't [​IMG] because an astrologer told me this some time ago :hide:), I also have a good incentive now to move to a desert. And as a bonus offer, I probably get to meet all those ILite friends of mine who live there - be it Indian or Middle Eastern deserts and become rich in the bargain (be it in the number of friends or money earned through selling camel's milk).

So this answers one more topic I was discussing with the said friend - what to do two months hence when I am back on my feet. I was planning to travel to places and was listing out the places I would love to visit. While [​IMG] and snow clad mountains featured in a big way in the list, deserts never featured anywhere. Now, however, deserts will fit into my list of "must sees" in a very big way. Besides I would have started my own business too. :-D See what all scientists are capable of!!!!!

13 people like this.

2. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Satchi......

I am privileged to post first feed back to this ..:thumbsup..post with health conscious and business savvy ideas.....:bowdown

I think it would be a cake-walk for you dear....:thumbsup...walking in the deserts with a caravan of camels behind you......:)

As you are now coping with soaring temperatures and severe water crisis.....:2thumbsup:

I shall happily supply colorful bandhini kapdey for you...:idea.to adorn you aesthetically......( See....your business idea had paved way for another lady-enterpreneur.....:rotfl..:hide:..)
    Thorughly enjoyed the post.......with a glass of cold lassi.........:cheers
    Your post....swept me off.......just like a desert sand storm...:bowdown...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 people like this.
  3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Me first, me first !!!.....ahhhhgh! Barghaveeeeee, you California girl!!! Beat me East Coast maami to it, did ya? Ok I'll let you take first place, after all California has deserts too, hehe:)!

Ok Sats now what's this fear for deserts that you have?
    After all you may meet some snakes, scorpions and some skulls and bones right. But at night you can see stars and stars and stars! Mmmm what bliss!

So do think seriously of that business and settle down in middle of a desert and churn out plenty of camel milk desserts!

But do try to make money before those scientists declare that camels milk will cure diabetes but wil give insomnia, or as the medical ads here say , " may cause, headache, earache, body ache, high bp, low bp, palpitations, heart attack, or even death!"

Enjoyed the post much! Glad to have you back! Sorry about your nerve pain though. My wishes for you to get back to complete health.

4 people like this.
  4. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Ha ha ha, good one Satchi :)
    Don't worry, you need not relocate to a desert to get camel's milk, let a few years go by and our entrepreneurs would have jumped at the opportunity and who knows, camel milk might be available in 1/4,1/2 or 1 litre packets, sold in the local stores(of course priced as high as gold ;-)
    I really wonder how they do it, given the high temperature during the day and freezing cold during the night. I had the opportunity to visit once(just the outskirts) and did not want to come out of the car(A/c on full blast) for, as soon as I had stepped out, the hot air that hit me, started to melt me. I am not exaggerating here, I have never seen felt such dry heat, it was unbearable even for a minute. People on camel backs, who really have to venture into a desert, it must be like entering a hot oven and sitting inside it all the time :-(
    Know what? just waiting for some scientist(supported by a study on a small group of people ;-) to come up the theory about how dangerous camel's milk can be, they have come up with such theories for our cow's milk, so why not camel's ;-)

1 person likes this.
  5. satchitananda

Hi Bhargavi,

Nice to see you here first on the list of feedbacks. :thumbsup Now see what the scientists have done? Started a long line of women entrepreneurs, each with their own business ideas. :-D Great idea. If I have colourful bandhini kapdey to keep my head and body cool in the desert, I can certainly walk miles in the sand with a caravan of camels behind me, or even better just ride one of them.

Talking of your dessert, i.e. cold lassi, I just hope it was made of camel's milk :rotfl

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

satchi,

When camels figured in you post along with diabetes, i was sure it was something related to research. tell me about the woes of steroidal abuse and the constant fear of some side affect effacing from that...

So true, i have seen the temperature clocking 53-54 on a reading in my personal clock, but the official ones in the countries never go beyond 50..as if it goes beyond the 50 mark you are supposed to give off. and my heart goes out to all those people who really toil in that heat..

camel milk is supposed to have more benefits, and so is the meat..now both of us being veg we will stick to the milk.did you forget the dates .. and you are welcome to go to a desert for rehab do give me a buzz, so you have company...:cheers

and being associated with ME for some years.. i have been getting lot of glimpses at camels..do check out the desert from my view i posted long back.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/d...otography-creative-pictures-4.html#post353056
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/d...otography-creative-pictures-6.html#post355451
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/d...otography-creative-pictures-7.html#post358000
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/d...otography-creative-pictures-7.html#post359933
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/d...otography-creative-pictures-8.html#post721501
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/d...otography-creative-pictures-8.html#post721522
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/d...otography-creative-pictures-8.html#post721535
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/d...otography-creative-pictures-8.html#post721552
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/d...photography-creative-pictures.html#post352608
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/d...photography-creative-pictures.html#post352616
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/d...photography-creative-pictures.html#post352624

P.S. sorry for giving so many of the links..the beauty has got embedded in between all the sweet fbs from my dear friends here.

1 person likes this.
  7. satchitananda

Dear Kamala,

8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sats,

I stared at your title for one whole minute wondering how you would have connected camels, diabetes and travel plans. I could only conclude that Satchi is planning to take a camel ride in one of the deserts to prove to herself and all of us here that all is well with her back. For the life of me I couldn't figure out the diabetes connection. LOL.

Good Good ! kamaljis business acumen seems to have rubbed off on you, I must say. so you ARE like the company you keep.:)

I too was never fascinated with Deserts till i made a trip to Dubai and Bahrain. I must say it has got its own charm....there is something romantic about endless acres of sands and it feels good to halt your car and take in the scenery. So, do make that trip.

But get well soon..camel milk for diabetes, huh? I am LOL imagining my milkman's expression if I ask him whether he will supply the same. Besides cows and buffalos milk he apparently supplies goats milk.be sure to tell me if you come across any research on that.:)

1 person likes this.
  9. satchitananda

Hi Navs,

10. satchitananda

Dear Shanvy,